Sign in to follow this  
g__day

File Explorer very slow on opening - unless I say Open in new window

Hi Folks, happy 2020!

My big rig PC has started to develop a strange behaviour.  When I click on file explorer is take forever to load - well over a minute.  I changed from open on my destktop to open on My PC - but it remains slow.  I haven't changed any indexing option and have defragged all my disks (1 MV2, 4 SSD and 4 HDD).  A green progress bar runs across the top whilst the file explorer shows only My desktop and This PC - but zero contents.

If I left click on MY PC and select Open in new window - a new window appears and all the 9 drives appear sub second - really fast.

Any idea of what has occurred and how to fix it?

Many thanks,

Matthew

Try this with Windows explorer ... it changes the icons to display without using thumbnail files.

Uncheck the following option, “Display file icons on thumbnails”.

Check "Always show icons, never thumbnails".

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1

Sometimes such behaviour can be a dodgy shell extension.  Plenty of programs put them in or have the option, and I'm fairly sure even ones that don't always show can still get called and potentially slow things down.

I've got issue with Google Drive on Win 7.  It's nowhere near as bad as your experience but it often adds 2-3 seconds to a right-click context menu call just by being active.

Additional - there's alternate ways to open Explorer though they might get the same delay.

Windows key + E

Right click start menu and select File Explorer.

In the past I've found you can also get annoying lag if it's trying to find network drives, so that might be worth a look too.

It is probably a windows problem but if you want to make sure all your hardware is performing as it should give user benchmark a run and link us to the score

https://www.userbenchmark.com/

Still investigating this - but annoyingly (or not) problem went away with out me noticeably changing anything!

All I can ponder is whether an obsolete network share might have botched things up...  Thanks for all the help offered guys - much appreciated!

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2020 at 10:23 PM, g__day said:

Still investigating this - but annoyingly (or not) problem went away with out me noticeably changing anything!

All I can ponder is whether an obsolete network share might have botched things up...  Thanks for all the help offered guys - much appreciated!

Yes, that would cause delays in opening explorer as it would try to open that network share.