Sign in to follow this  
hulkster

Annual Leave. When and where.

I, as most workers get 4 weeks a year.  But due to my role in the company I can never take more than two weeks at any one time and cant take time off over the xmas break. 

So I normally take a week at a time when I can, usually in winter and don't do much at all with the time off.

I am taking a week in Feb ( because if I don't Ill blow a fuse)  and pissing off to melb for a few days.

Just curious about others and time off. How much, how long in one stint, and what do you do with that time off ?

40 minutes ago, hulkster said:

Just curious about others and time off. How much, how long in one stint, and what do you do with that time off ?

Last time away from home, apart from times in hospital, was in 1991 when I attended the 45th MAAA ( Model Aeronautical Association of Australia Inc) nationals in Waikerie with a couple of friends. So ye been a while.

I do have days off just bumming around home etc but that's all.

I don't have that issue although they'd prefer I don't take more than one month off. I have long service leave I could invoke ... yes 6 months off LOL

5 minutes ago, Master_Scythe said:

I saved them for 2 years, then took a year of 3 day weekends.

Now that Id do if I could. !

Just now, hulkster said:

Well, why not take a 3 day weekend a month?

Should leave you with a 'solid week' of leave left over for a family thing, or a friends thing, or an atomic meet.

I negotiated myself to a 4 day week now. I wasn’t allowed Monday or Friday but I love having Wednesday anyway as I only generally work 2 consecutive days at a time. I have to take holidays over Christmas for 2-3 weeks where I look after the kids anyway so it’s ok but it doesn’t leave much for the rest of the year. My wife rarely get Christmas off so that makes a family holiday tricky but we got 3 weeks this year with 1 week home, 1 on the Gold Coast and the last one in Brisbane.

i work 3 mornings a week (mon/wed/fri) and a saturday once a month

hard work but someone has to do it

however, those half days not infrequently finish at 3pm, and then there's also the paperwork and follow up, and fairly predictable phone calls out of hours, or to follow up stuff that isn't reported till late in the night by laboratories; and the mandatory education and official shit

i very rarely take holidays - life is a perpetual holiday really; i did get a year and a half break to have cancer, until i was safe to return to work with adequate immunity

full time work is crazy; shift work (which i did for over 25 years) is almost as crazy

if i get a "holiday" it's either > 1 month or not a thing - and the last of those was >10 years ago, where i took a month off for my 50th birthday, to escape an extended family "surprise birthday" being imposed on me

I used to take the odd 1-3 days bundled around a weekend and sometimes 2-3 weeks off.  All sorts of mixes.

Often just wasted bumming around home or not going away.

Long service was handy as it allowed me to take breaks more often and in conjunction with enterprise agreement of 4 extra rec days (choice of that or more superannuation or something it was) I had a few years with some nice breaks.

Working for myself + contract now and I've just taken the odd bunch of days off to travel but it hurts the pocket in the process.  Had a quarter where I barely made anything.

7 hours ago, Master_Scythe said:

I saved them for 2 years, then took a year of 3 day weekends.

7 hours ago, hulkster said:

5 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I negotiated myself to a 4 day week now.

2 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

i work 3 mornings a week (mon/wed/fri) and a saturday once a month

You know Finland's PM has just proposed a 4-day work week, at 6 hours per day.

https://www.neweurope.eu/article/finnish-pm-marin-calls-for-4-day-week-and-6-hours-working-day-in-the-country/

25 minutes ago, Cybes said:

You know Finland's PM has just proposed a 4-day work week, at 6 hours per day.

https://www.neweurope.eu/article/finnish-pm-marin-calls-for-4-day-week-and-6-hours-working-day-in-the-country/

if there's adequate income, i endorse the idea

"full time work" is an anachronistic torture from the industrial age - adequate income for all beats being filthy rich but dead from exhaustion, or by exploiting others

god knows who decided that was appropriate for humanity... the polynesians seem to have a much superior concept

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

if there's adequate income, i endorse the idea

"full time work" is an anachronistic torture from the industrial age - adequate income for all beats being filthy rich but dead from exhaustion, or by exploiting others

god knows who decided that was appropriate for humanity... the polynesians seem to have a much superior concept

I mean, to offset it I'd even go so far as to make 9 hour days, working 9-6, then having 3 day weekends as standard.

Works out to 3 less hours a week; boo hoo.

10 hours ago, hulkster said:

I live close to and work in a holiday town . I / we chose to be here, and nine times out of ten we both are still very glad to be here ... that of course gets iffy when the power goes out in mid summer

I guess if I had lots of free money I'd get up and go visit other places, maybe, all the stories I hear about hotel rooms etc. is not terribly enticing tbh. Since I don't have lots of free money, I am really well placed to enjoy my time off regardless. Rather than new places to see, I get my thrills from disregarding the clock and the day ... I can do " lazy"  like a pro

Edited by eveln

Also Hulkster have a great time off, sounds like a change of scene will be just fine for you 🙂

My cure for greenhouse emissions would be to wind back to a 4 day working week and get rid of the ridiculoul retain trading hours, ie put it back to 8-5 weekdays, 8-3pm Saturday, closed Sunday and 2 or 3 late nights going to 9pm.

Edited by Rybags

about the only thing god got right that people ignore is having a day of rest - that is, a day each week where your responsibilities are fuck all whatsoever

that's gotta be good for mental health

Edited by scruffy1
speeling

🙂

Except the God botherers decreed you should use that day to spruce up and spend a portion of it on your knees saying thankyou....

Sunday as a "day of rest" did more to advance the causes of atheism and agnosticism than Gideon...

Cheers

12 hours ago, chrisg said:

Except the God botherers decreed you should use that day to spruce up and spend a portion of it on your knees saying thankyou....

I'm not religious, but my mates grandad was as high up in the baptist church as you could really go. And one conversation I'll always remember, between him, and his daughter (my friends mum).

Paraphrasing as best I can remember.

"Does it bother you we don't go to church?"

"Not really honey, Church is a sense of community and togetherness. You have a family, and close friends. Some people need a church to be with others, and some don't."

"What about  worship?"

"I find it funny that people forget that God is everywhere, say thank you at home, and enjoy your family."

To which I interjected like the smart arse I am 😛

"I mean, for all we know, Gods sitting there annoyed that churches still exist now the telephone\internet exist. 'YOU CAN ALREADY CONTACT EACH OTHER, GO RIDE A JETSKI! THOSE THINGS WERE HARD TO INVENT!"

• Like 1

I work in an engineering industry where projects/contracts run between a few months and many years. Leave options for 1-2 weeks are usually easy to fit in between milestones, or just rely on the team doing fine without you there for a couple of weeks.

Big leave options happen when a project ends, the next project is delayed, or doesn't start immediately after the last - and you have enough warning to sort out a decent holiday.

In the past I have taken holiday leave for 7 weeks and 14 weeks at a time - each of those was at the end of being full time on a major project that was 2-5 years. These days in a more senior role, I am across multiple projects that overlap and never a full down time, so there is never those sorts of easy gaps, so I make long weekends and occasionally try and work in a 1-2 week break, if you can find that between the critical parts of 4-5 different projects. The company has a forced shutdown for 2 weeks over Christmas-NY and for the last few years I have been able to take that without needing to work through part of it. Not a great time for travel holidays, but it gets stuff done around the house, and is stress free.

IMO 2 weeks is too short for a holiday that involves serious travel - the % of time and $s spent travelling to get there and back, and I don't do holidays where i head somewhere I have been before and sit by the pool for 10 days relaxing. Also  it takes nearly 2 weeks away to stop waking up thinking 'how great is it i don't have to go to work today', only then do you really get into holiday mode and dive into the experience.

i am incredulous when people go overseas for a few days, or a week

my (admittedly very infrequent) "big" holidays have all been minimum 6 weeks - because really, go big or stay home

that said, it was generally time spent in a pretty limited radius of touchdown, because i prefer to be somewhere rather than travelling repeatedly between lots of brief visits

on my 3 months in the cook islands as a student, i recall the last week and a bit being incredibly sad that i would be leaving - it was a gorgeous place

🙂

I have sometimes been a bit the opposite - there is only so much you can do in Bali, The Maldives or even Mauritius beyond 10 days or so but all of them are rather inexpensive from Perth so I have used them as "escapes" on occasion, just for a few days.

For a real holiday though... It has been a very long time but a month of pure escapism on the French Rivera is something I still recall rather fondly - didn't even cost me that much, half the time I slept on the beach - bet you can't do that now - then again probably neither could I   🙂

The world has changed a hell of a lot in getting on for half a century, I really do not think one iota for the better...

Cheers

I work in schools, so I get the school holidays (11 weeks total). predictable, but because they are school holidays,  they do equate to peak periods if I wanted to go away somewhere (like I could afford to...)

Edited by smadge1

As the business owner and all round "gopher" (ie the ONLY accounts payable / receivable, invoicing, payroll, account reconciliation, BAS agent, digital / social media advertising & marketing, I write my own radio advertisements,  and then counter sales, meat cutter, cleaning, restocking shelves, weighing & pricing wholesale orders, taking & placing orders, delivery driver, smallgoods maker, the all important coffee delivery person 😛 amongst a slew of other jobs) I rarely get to take much time off and I don't accrue holidays - in saying that.... I take weekends off from time to time ie from Friday lunch and back Sunday for a "burger & Kmart run" haha I'm off to Albany tomorrow.