Sign in to follow this  
scruffy1

cold boot issues

long story : the old 2600k was intermittently failing to kickstart, and often bringing up the dual bios refresh, even occasionally resetting to stock (outrage!)

i dropped the overclock a notch (to 4gig) and loosened the ram timings - all of which sorta made a difference

meantime the interwebs on adsl2 crawled and frequently dropped out, and after some consideration it was revealed the billion router of old had gone to god - almost a decade old, it really owed me nothing

so, out came the siemens speedstream 4200 from as long ago possibly as last century's optus connect, and lo! and behold, went from < dial up speed to > 12mbps - take that, nbn !

anyhoos, since the miracle of reconnection, the 2600k has not failed to boot (yet), and i got to wondering - can network issues on boot cause such troubles ?

specs  : i7-2600k  4ghz @1.22v / megahalems / gigabyte z77-d3h / samsung 850 evo 250 / 2x8gb G.Skill ares @ 2133 cl11 / stoner ud110v2 + klipsch promedia 2.1 + alo pan am + ath ad700 + AKG Q701 / Lian Li PC-A17B & corsair hx750i & noctua fans / gigabyte gtx1060 oc 6g / dell u2515h

having now praised my ancient i7, anything might happen, but in all fairness i am leaning to a ryzen r5 as the solution, and while i have a barely 2 year old corsair 750i that was an rma replacement, so no remaining warranty, i am not able to easily prove the cold boot wasn't / isn't a psu problem, which is a very common cause of such shenanigans

i am happy to keep things as it goes, but would be keen to use the corsair in a new build; getting it out to bench test with a "better" supply is a major pain, and i would realistically need to buy a new psu to test things

so, if things keep happy, is the network glitching a plausible fail on cold boot ?

thanks for your expertise, folks

As far as the networking part of the question goes. No, I've never had a modem be the difference between starting or not. Faulty network cards and internal modems, sure but not like you describe here. 

• Like 1

and of course this morning it did the booty bullshit dance

and the new networking setup is iffy via wifi to the same rig, but seems good elsewhere

is there a single chip onboard that handles the interweb handshake regardless of lan or wifi input ?

if so i think maybe the psu is an innocent bystander and the mobo is old and defective

thanks for the knowledge

If it won't run at stock I'd be inclined to start looking more seriously at your Ryzen build. There's nothing outside the motherboard that's likely to be the cause of the issues with the bios. Otherwise everything is an outside chance if you want to go through the process of elimination. 

So if it's not turned off, it's fine, but just sometimes finnicky on boot?

Able to change the motherboard battery, or check to see if it's still alive?

My money is on PSU, because I've had similar issues.

Here's my most frequent culprit nobody thinks off till last.... Do you have a CD\DVD drive?

The amount of dead CD drives that have caused boot shinanigans, from 'no resposne other than fans' right through to 'hung at bios' all the way to 'PC freezes when opening My Computer'.

They're nasty little buggers when they get on in years; Have one?? Try unplugging it. Power too.

I’ve seen plenty of no boot DVD issues but I’ve never seen one take it to a bios recovery screen. Maybe a battery if the computer is unplugged from power between boots but for some reason I assumed that wasn’t the case here as that is fairly common knowledge, but yeah, I shouldn’t assume such things.

Network shouldn't make a difference to boot but it's worth looking at the Bios settings to ensure PXE and network stuff isn't in the boot order as potentially it could slow it down.

Additional to that make sure stuff like wake on LAN isn't enabled.

I've got an old machine that misbehaves too, it works better if a decent PSU is used but the root cause is likely MOSFETs going bad.  Modern boards usually have an array of them to cater for the various CPU voltages possible and when they age and start to fail, intermittent statup failures can be a symptom.

• Like 1

Obligatory Dumb Question on the intermittent booting - when did it start, ie after a hardware change perchance?

And was it always about the same good/bad ratio or slowly getting worse?

Encountered a few motherboards with failing caps (ie Puffy Cap Syndrome) with annoying boot issues, but been a while on that. Your board looks to have decent (?) SMT electros, on it but if you get desperate  I still wouldn't discount one or two of those getting ill.

Also seen changing and/or swapping around RAM sticks magically clear up weird/annoying shit as well.

Then there's overclocking/fiddling voltages sometimes raising weird symptoms on stock-clocked bits that supposedly can handle some performance fiddling.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:45 PM, scruffy1 said:

...often bringing up the dual bios refresh, even occasionally resetting to stock...

BIOS battery, dicky motherboard hardware (BIOS chip failing for example), dirty/insufficient power rail "somewhere", critical hardware not happy with the increased clocks speeds/voltages...

Now that's been happening though, another Out-Of-The-Box fix I've had success with is flashing the BIOS to clear up annoying system issues, even using the exact same BIOS version... especially if/when a board has been resetting itself like that...

thanks for that reply - i only just saw it

i think i have an answer

i have downclocked the ram from  2133  @ 11-13-13-31 1t, to 1866 @ 9-11-10-31 1t and it has been happy since then (at 1.6vdimm), and hold 4.1ghz on all 4 cores without issue (undervolted as before)

still not sure if the ram would do it at 2133 on more volts (rated 4200 at 1.65v for the timings i used for 2133 ) but i'm not that enthusiastic to feed it 1.65v - maybe when the weather cools off 🙂

wrt earlier comment, i have reflashed it a while ago, without remedy, and was not super happy to reflash and have it brick with a boot issue, even at stock, because i just don't trust it enough

and i checked the bios battery, which reads pretty much the same as new - 3.3v

can't say the old thing hasn't given me my money's worth... and pleased that the psu looks out of the frame (somewhat)