Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Kothos

ARJ archver - what's happened to it?

I honestly can't find any information on this on the Internet, which is a rare thing.

The website is still up, with a copyright noticing ending in 2011.  The latest news and s/w version is from May 2012.

But no information on why development stopped or why there is no news of this anywhere, including on the vendor website?  They even have sales and contact information up - I haven't tried it but presumably it doesn't work?

The download links for JAR also don't work, but you can still download ARJ and ARJ32.  Weird.  Who's paying for all this?

BTW, found out while Googling that ARJ Barker just announced his divorce!!

I saw the Wikipedia article but didn't look much into the FreshPorts page.  There doesn't seem to be much info on what happened to the original software.

I suppose the port can be used in place of the original, since the original is time stamp limited even for the eval version?

7 minutes ago, Kothos said:

I saw the Wikipedia article but didn't look much into the FreshPorts page.  There doesn't seem to be much info on what happened to the original software.

As I said, feels like it was just 'finished'.

...who actually still uses ARJ?  This isn't the 90s anymore.

In the Dos and pre Win95 days ARJ was probably my favourite probably along with LHA.  I found the command line parms easier to remember than most - PKZIP was a bit of a pain in that the commands to pack/unpack weren't even the same.

Most of the old formats still live on in one way or another.  ARC which is a predecessor of many of them is still used by Atari 8-bit, some compressors despite being less efficient are still better for slow CPUs.

A lot of the compressors too just use similar encoding algorithms with just the non-payload descriptive data being the main difference.

These days though, my preference is RAR.  I liked the GUI of the old ZIP versions the most but the recent ones blow.

I think winrar and 7zip have the gui market stiched up.  A bunch of open source stuff will still prefer one type of zip or another, just for licencing reasons.

I personally have winrar opening most things, but that's only from habit over the last 20+ years, and because I know it covers almost any type of archive I want to open, from legacy systems.

I've not even bothered to install WinZip which shows how much I don't like the newer versions.

As an aside... really nice that recent releases of Windows 10 now support opening ISOs directly into a virtual drive without need for a 3rd party bit of software to do it.

23 hours ago, Rybags said:

I've not even bothered to install WinZip which shows how much I don't like the newer versions.

I found a box of old magazine CD/DVDs with ancient versions on them!

On 16/01/2020 at 12:33 AM, Kothos said:

I honestly can't find any information on this on the Internet, which is a rare thing.

So what happened?  Were you planning on using it as an example of archaeo-IT?  Actually have ARJ archives laying around?  Preferred general purpose (un)archiver?  Random pique of curiosity?

I still use it, because ZIP is so awful at compression large binaries.

On 1/19/2020 at 10:55 PM, Nich... said:

So what happened?  Were you planning on using it as an example of archaeo-IT?  Actually have ARJ archives laying around?  Preferred general purpose (un)archiver?  Random pique of curiosity?

Uh, I actually can't remember now! I was going to use it for something, and my own copy proved too old to run on Win7. In the end I just installed 7zip.

But for the life of me I can't remember what for... Probably emailing a large number of small files to someone.

• Haha 1

fricken ARJ lol.   what a blast from the past!

i persisted with command line well into GUI era because it was soooo much faster — especially when using batch files for routine stuff. 

i mostly stuck to pkzip, but i remember the time of needing a bunch of obscure archiving tools.  pretty sure one of them was .tar in DOS...because i remember not touching unix for years and being surprised it was still a thing, which of course it always was and very much still is.

now its winrar all the way for me, but occasionally 7-zip because shit dont always work with winrar (probably coz i rarely update)

In this latest reinstall, I gave 7zip majority control of my archives, rather than winrar.  It's free, and works just as well, and doesn't have the nag screen pop up all the time 🤷‍♀️

WinRar here too.  WinZip used to have the best interface but that modern day ribbon one is annoying as hell.  Don't even bother installing it now.

(and probably posted this before at least twice)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

WinRar here too.  WinZip used to have the best interface but that modern day ribbon one is annoying as hell.  Don't even bother installing it now.

(and probably posted this before at least twice)

What's that again, please Sonny?