Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

Are More RAM Modules Better for Gaming? - TechSpot

4 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Cool, but I have laptop which has two ram slots anyway.

You can achieve the same thing in the laptop with two dual rank sticks so 2x16GB.

But while interesting I doubt the price is worth the small % increase to CPU performance that will not affect all programs.

4 minutes ago, Dasa said:

You can achieve the same thing in the laptop with two dual rank sticks so 2x16GB.

But while interesting I doubt the price is worth the small % increase to CPU performance that will not affect all programs.

I have 16GB anyway and well never use that much RAM so yeah it's marginal.

48 minutes ago, Dasa said:

If your 2x8GB kit is using old chips it is possible that you are already running dual rank.

This should give you the details of your RAM

http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

CPU-Z says I have 2 x 8GB in dual channel so I wouldn't be bothered changing the RAM. Mind you I could try shoving 4 x 8GB on my work PC (also has 2x 8GB) currently.

Rank isn't related to channels - like the video says it's how many paths a module can keep open to the onboard memory.

The benefit IMO is dubious given that many configs won't allow as tight timings or high speed for 4 modules vs 2.

And of course you're potentially limiting future upgrade options.

Also I believe it was mentioned but not highlighted that it's usually the graphics hardware that's the bottleneck with modern PC gaming assuming you've got a decent CPU + reasonable amount of memory.

• Like 1

When I was building my rig, I went with 4x dimms and a 3600x to try 4x dimms as I always do 2x8gb... It was that or 3700x with 2x dimms to keep in my budget.   I remember  Gamers Nexus mentioning some advantages with 4x but really from my old rig to this one, it feels the same when gaming.  Possibly, since I have 4x dimms is why I cant go above 3733 as the article mentions that 3600mhz could be stressful on the controller.   Really curious if 4x dual rank sticks are any different from 4x single rank dimms.  

4 hours ago, gamble said:

Really curious if 4x dual rank sticks are any different from 4x single rank dimms.  

Just much harder on the memory controller I believe with no real performance difference.

With Ryzen 3000 I get the sense that the max fabric speed in not heavily influenced by the memory controller stability with the RAM speed so as far as frequency goes running the extra stick is not likely to limit you?

But at least on my 7700K I did have to relax timings for 4 sticks of b die from 3600 14-15-15 1t to 3600 15-15-15 2t.

Stock Ram 3600mhz/1800mhz Infinity (1:1) it is usually 71-72ns on latency.   3733/1867 (1:1) give 68ns latency.  I tried a few things, set my ram to 3600mhz and then the Infinity to 1867mhz... My latency went way up to 78ns.  I might play around with removing 2x sticks for some comparison tests...  

Just realised channels is whether there's chips on one side or two of the RAM chip.

12 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Just realised channels is whether there's chips on one side or two of the RAM chip.

Not exactly.

Channels is when a memory controller is able to double or quadruple bandwidth by reading\writing to separate sticks independently.

Single rank sticks can still be double sided, they just have less chips on each side so the same amount of chips as a single sideded single rank kit while dual rank kits have twice as many chips as a single rank kit which usually means populating the other side of the stick with chips.

If I remember that video correctly dual rank doesn't double the bandwidth like dual channel it just allows the individual sticks to read and write at the same time instead of one then the other which can increase bandwidth throughput a small amount under some workloads.

Edited by Dasa

43 minutes ago, Dasa said:

Not exactly.

Channels is when a memory controller is able to double or quadruple bandwidth by reading\writing to separate sticks independently.

Single rank sticks can still be double sided, they just have less chips on each side so the same amount of chips as a single sideded single rank kit while dual rank kits have twice as many chips as a single rank kit which usually means populating the other side of the stick with chips.

If I remember that video correctly dual rank doesn't double the bandwidth like dual channel it just allows the individual sticks to read and write at the same time instead of one then the other which can increase bandwidth throughput a small amount under some workloads.

Thanks I stuck the word rank instead of channels for some reason, weird self correction!