Sign in to follow this  
Leonid

Israel/Palestine: "Deal of the Century"

Trump has unveiled the "Deal of the Century".

http://a7.org/?file=20200128203007.pdf

I haven't read it yet.

Highlights are:

- Accepts the status quo of Israeli cities in Arab-occupied Palestine

- Accepts that the "Right of Return" of Palestinians is a non-starter

- Accepts that Palestinians should have no more land taken from them and gives them lands in Israel proper in return for Israeli annexations to secure their Eastern border through annexation of the Jordan valley

- Establishes a limited-capability Palestinian state, somewhat similar to the imposed conditions on Japan after defeat

It's a plan that heavily favours Israel and rejects the up-to-now Palestinian strategy of maximalism that saw them rejecting 100% of what they wanted in 2008.

Basically, it's a plan that states "you've said no to everything thus far, now you lose. Here are some carrots if you accept the stick"

90% of the success of this plan hinges on other Arab states. If they accept the plan (they need Israel, and America's energy independence means they've zero leverage but need American support) - the Palestinians will not have a choice. They pretty much don't already but they can always do what Palestinians always do. 

Sounds like same-old same - old - hardly surprising from Trump, he's not exactly renowned for original thinking.

Cheers

39 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Sounds like same-old same - old - hardly surprising from Trump, he's not exactly renowned for original thinking.

Cheers

Not really. It's the first plan with a map that doesn't follow the same old "land-swaps in Judea/Samaria" formula.

It's the first one that doesn't try to wrest away the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem - ie the "Old City"

It's the first plan that doesn't try to be all things to everybody

Hmm,

I guess all those options have been explored before or simply rejected just not in one plan.

No way is Israel going to give up the old city in Jerusalem, not should it, so pointless to even suggest it, but the concept of limited sovereignty for Palestine has been offered before and the Palestinians were not interested.

I'll find time to read it in detail later, but it does not sound very promising although as you allude it is likely the Palestinians will reject it anyway and continue with their unreasonable demands.

Cheers

From the first few pages it’s basically a Palestinian surrender document.

IE “war’s over, Arabs lost, let’s move on”

Yes, it does seem to read that way which is why i'd say not very helpful.

The Palestinians will never accept it or if they do there will be another split along terrorist organisation lines and Iron Dome will continue to get a work-out.

Cheers

The Palestinians never accept anything though - they didn’t even accept Olmert’s offer of 100% of what they wanted.

The problem they have is that if they say “no” what’s next? The Gulf’s warming up to Israel. The sane in the West are gardening and shifting further centre right. The hard left is losing every election.

Israeli leaders walk the halls of power everywhere and the Israelis have made West Bankers fat and lazy with decent economic growth, real estate growth, etc - there’s just no fight left in the moderately well-off West Bank.

I mean sure, you could start a riot. There’s always enough brainwashed Arabs around to sacrifice their lives so that Abbas’s family could rip more aid money... but two intifadas, stabbings, vehicular rampages, suicide bombings, formal wars, internationalizing the conflict - they’ve all done nothing other than make Israel more powerful and the Palestinians weaker.

Edited by Leonid

Bibi to reporters:

“I feel great. It’s a great moment. It’s really a historic moment. No one knows how it’s going to develop. But it’s a change. We got used to being victims. We win wars, turned into a world power, and still act like we don’t have any rights. This is an archaic model. No longer.”

Cannot but agree, with any luck whatsoever the political capability of the Palestinians is going to die away and at last it will be over.

As you say the gulf is warming to Israel - it's been somewhat a game of bluff as to who will go first. But at the same time there is an increasing degree of impatience with the theocracy  in Iran which may yet allow for an overthrow to succeed.

Unfortunately that can still leave lunatics like OBL coming from "difficult" nations such as Saudi but they do seem to be less by the year.

Cheers

So let me get this right . We have a peace deal that totally excludes and ignores one of the parties involved. How the fuck does that work then? Magic fucking fairy dust?

peace deal my arse. It's just one corrupt crook of a politician sucking up to another corrupt crook of a politician.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aliali said:

We have a peace deal that totally excludes and ignores one of the parties involved. How the fuck does that work then? Magic fucking fairy dust?

It's not a deal yet. It's a plan.

He has given the Palestinians 4 years.

The same as The Greens scuttled the CPRS....................The Palestinians will not accept it because it's their nature.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:36 PM, LogicprObe said:

The same as The Greens scuttled the CPRS....................The Palestinians will not accept it because it's their nature.

Any other stateless people would be creaming themselves over being offered double their territory and $50b.

3 hours ago, Leonid said:

Any other stateless people would be creaming themselves over being offered double their territory and $50b.

But then they'd have nothing to war and whinge about!

On 1/29/2020 at 5:12 PM, aliali said:

So let me get this right . We have a peace deal that totally excludes and ignores one of the parties involved. How the fuck does that work then? Magic fucking fairy dust?

peace deal my arse. It's just one corrupt crook of a politician sucking up to another corrupt crook of a politician.

Let's see one of them is undergoing impeachment and the other indictment proceedings ...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Let's see one of them is undergoing impeachment and the other indictment proceedings ...

In today's PC language..............this would be called 'soft revolution'.

23 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

While Netanyahu deserves this given his is actually a criminal matter, the Trump thing continues to remind us all that the Dems definitely didn’t handle Hillary’s loss as well as they could have.