Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Fragasaurus

Hello At0mic! New gaming PC advice!

Gentlefolks of At0mic, hurrow!

I wish to build a new PC and I am woefully out of date on trends/best type of hardware. Basic surfing, creating 3D models for my 3D printer and playing WoW will be it's primary jobs. It needs to be reasonably future proof,  and money be tight for a Dad with other silly hobbies. I asked for a budget of $800 but there's a chance I could add more $$$ to the pot depending on garage sale action. Probably $1200 max. Maybe.

Current build is:

Intel Core i5 - 4690K

Asus H97M-PLUS

16GB DDR3

Nvidia GTX 960

210GB SSD 

Looking for:

Upgraded CPU

Upgraded GPU

New MOBO

1TB SSD preferably M2

16GB RAM

Everything to fit inside a  Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case

No need for RGB, stock cooling is fine. Unsure on whether I would need a new PSU, unsure of what plug form factors are current.

If there's anyone with advice and recommendations I'd love to hear them. Thank you 🙂

Your budget may be a bit a bit low at $800 but I think the $1200 might be possible.

39 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Your budget may be a bit a bit low at $800 but I think the $1200 might be possible.

I figured it was an ambitious price tag. I'm just so far out of touch as far as what's good and what's good value these days, hoping posting here might give me a finger hold in the wall of new tech so I can get up to speed. Where's a quirky tech magazine when you need one 😄

I think the current CPU\MB\RAM can be kept for those programs I don't think it needs replacing just yet unless your 3d modeling is very demanding and multithreaded.

A GPU upgrade will allow you to run higher detail settings and overclocking the CPU should help with FPS dips in wow.

If you game at 1080P Inno3D NVIDIA, GTX 1660 SUPER, Twin X2 $355 should do nicely.

The default BIOS will likely allow you to run at max boost frequency for all cores and I think there is a updated BIOS that will allow further overclocking for your MB.

Increasing RAM speed and tightening timings could also be a big help.

yea if the gpu only upgrade works out for you, dad and you are both happy 🙂  If not you could still upgrade the rest while already having the gpu purchased.  

FWIW, I noticed wow ran a lot more nicely (1440p, medium-high detail settings) during raids (and out of them) just by upgrading my i5-4690k@4.4gh all cores, to a new 3-series ryzen, and keeping my GTX970.

I had firefox and some other things open in the background, an I think that was probably too  much for only 4 cores/threads.

15 hours ago, Fragasaurus said:

I figured it was an ambitious price tag. I'm just so far out of touch as far as what's good and what's good value these days, hoping posting here might give me a finger hold in the wall of new tech so I can get up to speed. Where's a quirky tech magazine when you need one 😄

Man............so am I.

I'm out of the PC biz pretty much so the last gaming PC I built for a mate was 2 or 3 years ago!

The main reason I joined the thread is that my main rig has just shit itself!...........and I might need some parts.