Sign in to follow this  
LogicprObe

Logic's woes.

Hi all..................after my coolant debacle alluded to here  

.....where I had been slack during the hot weather and not topped up the coolant.

It does go brown when it boils..........that nice acid green coolant.

Anyway, the computer started freezing which is usually an overheating problem so I topped it up.

Upon restart, everything seemed OK until I noticed that I only had two out five case fans spinning........changed headers etc.....nope......they're cactus!

Usually there's enough airflow to keep things cool even when I'm low on coolant.

OK, gotta fix the fans.......................meanwhile, I've left both sides of the case off..........hang on! I've got no sound now..........and no internet!

Now, both the sound card and the WiFi card are on the same bus..........but the graphics card is still working fine on the PCIe16 slot.

My plan of attack is to drop the cards out, reboot and shutdown and reinstall the cards.

If no good, I was going to reinstall a nice fresh copy of Win 7 Pro on the SSD...............something I haven't done for over five years which is quite unusual for me.

So, suggestions and tips are welcome.

I will update as I go..........

If the fans are still connected the headers, you can unplug them to see if the sound and wifi come back, possibly they are shorting something somehow?  Maybe even just unplug everything attached to sound card first and reboot, check if wifi is good after reboot... if no wifi then remove sound card, check if wifi is good... If not, remove wifi card and put sound card back in, see if sound card is good.  This way you can see which one is causing the problem, if it is that.  With the fan headers going out too, I wonder if the board is going.  Almost sounds like a short though, like something is touching maybe from the case... maybe that coolant is running on the backside of the mb somewhere?   But yea your plan looks good.  

• Like 2

A quick update...........it's been a while since I've pulled things out of here..............and I discovered that I had the PciE soundcard in this machine and the WiFi is a PCI card.

This little GA B75M-D3H board has two 16x PCIe slots and two PCI slots.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7r5HA_OhSJaGMdD8jvHW

This is a little board in a BIG case!

5125318_6.jpg

So, I had forgotten I had two 16x slots and I pulled everything out and moved the grphics card from the top slot to the bottom one and after about 6 reboots it finally sorted itself out.

Next I whacked the ASUS Essence into the top PCIe slot and while replugging the molex I decided to tidy up a bit of wiring as I removed a lot of drives and use them for storage in external caddy.

During this, I discovered that the System Fan Header was working and by connecting the fans to the case fan controller one of the front fans fired up.............the other must be cactus.

Then, as I moved the wiring, the fans would sometimes drop out...............a dodgy molex splitter!

SO! That's why the sound card probably wasn't working to start with because it wasn't getting the extra juice.

Now on bootup, I had sound again.

No matter which PCI slot I tried with the PCI network card, I couldn't get the adapter to start so it's either the card or the bus.

My money's on the card and they don't make them anymore.

Unless I go and find my PCI Essence card I have no spare PCIe slots open for a decent network card so I got a USB 3.0 one to try out.

Stop being tight and just replace the entire board and everything on it with something off ebay for $100 or less 😛

I know some people swear by them, but my only experience with an Asus soundcard turned me off them entirely.  Was good for  nothing but BSOD hangs.

Ivy Bridge... that's what I scored the other day * 2.

Water cooling... IMO way overrated.  You get those big overclocks for the benefit of getting a few quick benches because the water has large thermal mass.

But it works the other way as well.  20 minutes sustained computing heats the water pretty well then it takes an hour to cool down again.

Meanwhile, the air cooled machine cooled down about 15 times faster.

The old Core i stuff is fine.  OK, the first generation stuff runs too hot and doesn't perform as well.  But there's incremental leaps each generation.

So long as you've got sufficient USB 3 and Sata ports and your graphics isn't hampered, then the only benefit from a newer generation of the same clock speed is some power saving, a little less heat and better floating-point performance.  yCruncher is a good bench to illustrate the FP improvements, it's pretty amazing comparing the leap from a similarly clocked Core2 vs a few i7 generations.

As for teh Windoze - my personal choice is to tuff it out for the next 18-24 months on Windows 7.  It's been pretty nice with updates being mostly unobtrusive the last couple of years.

But I feel there'll come a time when either browser support plain stops or (more likely) so many security loopholes surface that it becomes unwise to run it.

ed - additional to the heat thing.  I made the decision late last year after encountering bad sectors on an almost new internal drive, to just run a 1 TB SSD for general storage and use switchable/removable bays for the mechanicals.  So far so good though the SSD fills up pretty quickly.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

Well, after getting it all going with a USB 3 WiFi unit...........the sound card stopped the next day.

The day after it refused to boot and when I got it to start, it went into boot loop!

That motherboard I'm using was a quick and dirty replacement a few years ago when the original ASRock board crapped out.

• Sad 1

Problem might be caps or MOSFETs going bad... older style caps easy to identify but not so much with the MOSFETs.  Since the modern CPUs do speed stepping a lot and there's usually a voltage sweep to go with it, the MOSFETs get more of a workout than they used to.

One avenue there might be to disable all the turbo stuff and see if you can lock it at a low multiplier and see if it still does it.

Speaking of caps......................after posting last night, I went upstairs to work on the bastard.

Decided to fully strip it down and start from scratch.

Since it went into boot loop, I had pulled the plug from the wall to fully drain the caps etc.......................so I thought.............lets turn it on and see what happens......

BOOM!!!!

Can't see a popped cap anywhere but the PSU seems a bit smelly.......................more to come.

More on that GB motherboard..................it was the only new mobo available for the 1155 format at the time.

Anyway, my theory is that since this PSU had two separate 12 volt buses, the computer only senses 5v for 'power good' and lets it go ahead.

Since about half the stuff was working on 12v and other stuff failed.........sound card needs 12 v for the amps, some fans not running, one drive clicking......................I'm thinking that one bus had failed or was low and some things started working because I had unknowing switched the to the other bus.

So I've got the PSU out, opened it up and there's no sign of exploding caps.................but I recall my Panasonic microwave exploding  a flyback coil in the PSU.

I couldn't be bothered pulling the whole thing out so I'm going to jump start it and see what happens/what the measurements are.

(not tonight, I'm drinking beers now)

If I don't post again within 5 days...................I'm dead!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Soundcards are good for nothing but driver problems in my experience.

If you want better quality Audio than the MB use HDMI to a home theater system or a DAC for headphones.

Best if you can pass that through to your monitor or you will have a invisible display for your mouse to disappear onto.

• Like 1

Bah!

No one's gonna convince me to give up my collection of soundcards!

I rarely have issues with drivers but there still can be IRQ problems.

• Haha 1

I got a DAP that works as a DAC so I didn't need to get a separate sound card. No fancy 7.1 stuff with that though so it depends on your priorities. 

9 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I got a DAP that works as a DAC so I didn't need to get a separate sound card. No fancy 7.1 stuff with that though so it depends on your priorities. 

What's a DAP?

I only use stereo anyway.

I do have a USB ADAC here somewhere in the studio (unbuilt) cupboard!

Digital audio player. Like an MP3 player that's a bit more capable. It's a Fiio x3 2nd gen. Apparently the 3rd gens are noticeably better again but I'm pretty satisfied... for now... 

• Like 1

So anyway...........the PSU wouldn't jump start........ratted the big fan out of it.

Had a Silverstone 850w laying around.........old but hardly used.

Cleaned the whole case out and ditched the watercooling.

Will just run an Intel stock fan for now until I find my favourite aircooler.

I have some pics which I will add to the thread at the end because this PC is a pain to do photos out of the iphone on.

There was evidence of a leak around the water block which probably only occurred when it got hot.

Will start reassembly tomorrow or the weekend.

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2