Sign in to follow this  
Waltish

Configured a Boxxen for 3veln

Yea she has more than paid her dues struggling to play World Of Tanks on an entry level notebook with on board graphics.

We plugged in a keyboard and mouse and a monitor 22" .

At absolutely minimum settings it chugged and farted, despite this the eveln persevered.

So impressed by her tenacity I decided to put together or acquire for her a beast well as much of a beast as we could afford.

I did a lot of looking around to get back up to speed  re: computer components .

wanted to do a build but didn't want to carry the load dealing with doa parts and such , most pre-builds I looked at just didn't fit into

The price performance envelopes I was looking at .

I found a place I bought stuff from many many moons ago,  PC Case Gear  I haven't really gamed much on PC since just before PS3 I still have it and a PS4.

Any way it was possible to choose a from a selection of start point rigs of various prowess levels, and then reconfigure the to suit ones needs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what the end result is. Kept old keyboard,mouse and monitor .

The rig ...............

Case.. Phanteks Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass Black

Power Supply ... Phanteks 550W Gold non modular

MoBo ...  Asus Prime B450m-A

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6Core 12 thread

RAM .. Team T-Force Dark Z 2x8gb 3200mhz CL16 DDR4

GPU .... Gigabyte Radeon RX570 Gaming 4GB 

C Drive .... Adata XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD 256GB

D Drive ... Seagate Barra 1TB 3.5

LG Slim External DVD Writer 

TP-Link Archer T4U V2 USB Wireless

Yah I know The GPU is the bottle neck , and if it starts to be a problem down the track,

The rest of the rig is ready for a more powerful GPU , preferably some thing that is hot stuff now 

that has had a massive price cut ,when the next generations hot stuff deposes it.

I think its a pretty good rig. boots in 14 seconds Plays UT2004 Maximum Settings and resolution at 380 FPS hahaha

And World of Tanks which IS what I wanted to be sure didn't disappoint Plays At 1080p  SD Ultra getting about 80 fps.  I am happy I even booted up my 

my wot account and had a mess around .

anyways the post is long enough.  

Cheers

{:-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

1 hour ago, Waltish said:

And World of Tanks which IS what I wanted to be sure didn't disappoint

ain't that the truth ?!

going into WoT was fearful, wonderful stuff, it still is. But am now managing to last a bit longer in each battle as I can just mansge to not be distracted by level of scenery etc. Also no delayed reaction is fucking frightening.

playing UT2004 has helped big time. Oh I get killed all the time but the sheer pace of the game is helping my adaption to the new beaut world of tanks .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's got to be a wonder experience over the lappy!  The gpu should do fine at 1080p for most things and like you said you can upgrade in the future when needed, or overclock it when you need to (or now for the fun of it ) 🙂    WoT should run in the 70~80fps range I would think at ultra.   The 2600 is a great chip, the price is hard to beat.  Probably fine but you might want to check the ram is running at the bandwidth in the bios and set it to docp (xmp).   If it wont take 3200, you should be able to run it at 2933.   I mention as I had issue with running over 2933mhz.   It might do the 3 post boot when you first set it, if it is not already. 

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Nice.  I do suspect you now have a more powerful machine than mine, even with the relatively paltry graphics card (GTX 960 here).

• Like 1

Apart from an rx580 instead of the 570,thats pretty much my build (different brands but mostly same chipset etc) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gamble said:

That's got to be a wonder experience over the lappy!  The gpu should do fine at 1080p for most things and like you said you can upgrade in the future when needed, or overclock it when you need to (or now for the fun of it ) 🙂    WoT should run in the 70~80fps range I would think at ultra.   The 2600 is a great chip, the price is hard to beat.  Probably fine but you might want to check the ram is running at the bandwidth in the bios and set it to docp (xmp).   If it wont take 3200, you should be able to run it at 2933.   I mention as I had issue with running over 2933mhz.   It might do the 3 post boot when you first set it, if it is not already. 

Enjoy!

The assembly was schmick so tidy with the cable management, and the set up and burn in was thorough Bios , drivers , even windows was fully up to date .

And they left the Burn-in Bench marking , diagnostic tools in the recycle bin of course I restored them and had a play .

Had a look  in the bios the Ram  is running  at 3200 MHZ CL 16 not going to over clock the bus , But I might tighten the timings I heard CL 14 is possible .  It has been stinking hot up here  been in the mid to high 30's C.

I was Running the Future mark extreme  and the GPU slowly got up to 80c and plateaued there GPU was 99 % usage .

oh I didn't say the price  It was $1516.00 including the $130.00 Postage from vic to Cooya Beach .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fliptopia said:

Apart from an rx580 instead of the 570,thats pretty much my build (different brands but mostly same chipset etc) 

yeah I was torn RX580  RX590  4GB or 8GB each one only cost a bit more than the other temptation was pulling hard ,

to stop my self spending more I rationalized it by deciding to get just what I need to run WOT at 1080p Ultra  and get good frames.

So watched you tubes of various configs.

From the Tubes Ryzen 5 2600 and RX 570 4GB was just the thing and then some. I was surprised how good some games ran.

5 hours ago, Waltish said:

yeah I was torn RX580  RX590  4GB or 8GB each one only cost a bit more than the other temptation was pulling hard ,

to stop my self spending more I rationalized it by deciding to get just what I need to run WOT at 1080p Ultra  and get good frames.

So watched you tubes of various configs.

From the Tubes Ryzen 5 2600 and RX 570 4GB was just the thing and then some. I was surprised how good some games ran.

Th rx 570 is fine. I picked up an ex mining card on ebay for the kids computer and they can play everything they want to. 

• Like 1

I would have put in a GTX1060 6Gb instead of RX570 but that's just me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

I would have put in a GTX1060 6Gb instead of RX570 but that's just me.

Got a thing for symmetry if that's the right way to describe it.. For me If go NVIDIA, go Intel CPU .

If Radeon, go AMD CPU ... might just be superstition or some such notion.

hehe  {:-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waltish said:

Got a thing for symmetry if that's the right way to describe it.. For me If go NVIDIA, go Intel CPU .

If Radeon, go AMD CPU ... might just be superstition or some such notion.

hehe  {:-)

Some Intel CPUs have a AMD Vega iGPU just to make your life harder.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Waltish said:

The assembly was schmick so tidy with the cable management, and the set up and burn in was thorough Bios , drivers , even windows was fully up to date .

And they left the Burn-in Bench marking , diagnostic tools in the recycle bin of course I restored them and had a play .

Had a look  in the bios the Ram  is running  at 3200 MHZ CL 16 not going to over clock the bus , But I might tighten the timings I heard CL 14 is possible .  It has been stinking hot up here  been in the mid to high 30's C.

I was Running the Future mark extreme  and the GPU slowly got up to 80c and plateaued there GPU was 99 % usage .

oh I didn't say the price  It was $1516.00 including the $130.00 Postage from vic to Cooya Beach .

Maybe you should have got her an airconditioner first?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Haha

I'd agree with that tonight,  hard to shoot straight when your glasses need pushing back up all the frigging time !

this level of heat will pass 😉

but geez it's  a total blast

5 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Hmmm .. could live with a small window unit to help with sleeping, some nights here it doesn't go below 30c.

Though, I think eveln would prefer the boxen, as eveln says the heat passes, the other 3/4 0f the year is pretty good.

-------------------------------------------------------

Day it arrived ran some benches Future Mark extreme, Heaven, Superposition AIDA 64 and then let cpu burn churn till eveln got home, it actually slowly cooled down

while it was running, by far stress loading the GPU caused the most heat it topped out at 80c and stayed there.

• Like 1