Sign in to follow this  
Kothos

Regular laptop or 2-in-1 ?

I'm looking at getting a work laptop and will apparently be doing 20% - 50% travel, giving presentations, connecting to SaaS systems and generally just doing office productivity stuff.  The specs seem pretty similar for the prices, in fact the regular laptops are a bit lighter for the same size, but I've never used a 2-in-1... is it actually worth it?  That's the machine work is recommending me but they've left the final decision up- to me.

If you're going 2 in 1 for work I recommend something that uses a pen. I use the note 10 phone and find being able to draw stuff for people immensely useful. Other than that, unless you have that killer touch screen app for work then most people end up using them as regular laptops. 

We bought a Acer Chromebook Spin 13 with a i5-8250.  It's touch screen, has a pen and powerful cpu but runs on chrome os...  Maybe look at a Surface pro or Lenovo Yoga c930 if you will be using more Microsoft stuff for a 2 in 1.

I've had a go and worked on some such as Yoga and Surface 2.  Nice as in light, compact and portable but onscreen keyboard is something I don't care much for and I'd probably never end up using it in tablet mode.

6 hours ago, Kothos said:

Can you use a stylus of some sort on any touch screen?

Sort of. You can use the capacitive pens on any  capacitive touchscreen (most touch screens) it basically works as your finger. Other styluses use 1 of a few different technologies rather than the standard capacitive touch and are a lot more accurate and easy to draw and write with. 

I use the Samsung as I mentioned and also the apple pencil. My wife has a surface go with the surface pen and I quite like that one. You can use the top as an eraser rather than changing tools in-app

On 18/02/2020 at 6:41 AM, fliptopia said:

Other than that, unless you have that killer touch screen app for work then most people end up using them as regular laptops. 

OneNote + like you said, being able to quickly draw something would be my main uses for a business usecase.  Maybe slightly easier to drive powerpoint if you're doing it wirelessly and want to walk around and don't mind carrying it in tablet mode, vs going back to a desk/lectern etc all the time to look at what's next/change slide if you're not doing that wirelessly anyway.

For me the main reason I'd want a 2in1 is to read from it in portrait mode without a keyboard sitting out at an angle - but that'd be moreso for personal use than business.

8 hours ago, Nich... said:

For me the main reason I'd want a 2in1 is to read from it in portrait mode without a keyboard sitting out at an angle - but that'd be moreso for personal use than business.

If you had documents to go through the something with a detachable keyboard would be nice so you aren't holding as much weight. 

But so many of those seemed to end up with dicky connections and then wouldn't find the keyboard half the time. The later surface tablets seem to be better. That's all from my own anecdotal experience rather than mass scientific level data. 

Edited by fliptopia
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 2:49 PM, fliptopia said:

Sort of. You can use the capacitive pens on any  capacitive touchscreen (most touch screens) it basically works as your finger. Other styluses use 1 of a few different technologies rather than the standard capacitive touch and are a lot more accurate and easy to draw and write with. 

I use the Samsung as I mentioned and also the apple pencil. My wife has a surface go with the surface pen and I quite like that one. You can use the top as an eraser rather than changing tools in-app

Hmm, I ended up going for an ASUS which doesn't seem to have a specific pen tech supplied or used.  The other option was Lenovo which do - some models come with the pen some don't.  But the Lenovos had slightly worse specs for the price, and the Yoga range by some freakish reason don't have card reader or HDMI ports.

This is the one:  https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/asus-tp412-vivobook-flip-14-2-in-1-full-hd-touchscreen-laptop-512gbi5

It was on special for $1118 until a day or two ago, which seemed like a great price.  Mind you, I don't have a desktop, so this functions as both a work desktop computer and as my travel companion when I need to see clients.

Edited by Kothos

I set one of those up the other day for a customer . Great little laptop for a work situation. Everything seemed nice a responsive and decently built. 

No HDMI is weird (unless it's using USB-C for video), but I'm not surprised there's no card reader.  I see card readers like optical drives, when it comes to laptops: better kept in a case, connected via USB, for the once a year you might need it.

11 hours ago, Nich... said:

No HDMI is weird (unless it's using USB-C for video), but I'm not surprised there's no card reader.  I see card readers like optical drives, when it comes to laptops: better kept in a case, connected via USB, for the once a year you might need it.

Hmm, fair enough - I suppose you don't really keep that sort of thing connected for any length of time.  You spend a few seconds transferring data and then you remove it.  It makes more sense if you're using it as secondary storage on a tiny ebook.

• Like 1