Kothos

Software Boardgames - any good?

I've never played software boardgames before - except for the online kind like Scrabble.  But Humble has this at the moment:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/digital-tabletop-2

And I'm intrigued.  How do they work?  Some of them say you can play multiplayer locally.  Is that on the same screen, or do you need a LAN, or via an online server, or what?  And anyone familiar with if the experience is any good versus using an actual board IRL?

I have played board games on the PC before and generally enjoyed it more than MtG-type card games on PC, but that probably says more about my feelings on card game mechanics then anything else.

After having had a squiz at the bundle, I'm afraid I can't offer any first-hand knowledge of those on offer.

I have a few board/card games on PC and the biggest drawback is it makes everyone buy it to play, rather than just everyone mooching off the friend with the kickstarter addiction.

So I stopped looking in to them, in general, and didn't even open the email humble sent me about that one.

I have a few as well. They are ok if you want to play a board game by yourself and don't have others to play with (mostly) but aren't the greatest for gaming with others.

You lose the interactive quality of board gaming in many ways. It's also a very tactile thing.

Short answer, IMHO they can be fun but don't duplicate "real" boardgames. 🙂

I have heaps. They work best on a tablet where you can sit around it and play together but don't need the packing space to take it somewhere. I have many many games on Android and IOS and I often use them to learn to play and work out strategy. 

The best online experience though is Tabletop simulator. So many games have been done for free after your initial purchase via steam workshop. Lots of fiddly things are automated like setup but you still have a sense actually playing a board game. 

• Like 1