Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

Posted (edited)

Just a rant. Can some people learn to cough properly and not try to infect everyone around them! This person was around Boomer age. Thank God no one was sitting in front of her.

Edited by Jeruselem

And can't some learn to cough or sneeze at a civilized level, like yeah it's really necessary to do it at 110 dB just so everyone knows you've got an ailment.

• Like 1

US Health insurers will not waive COVID-19 treatments co-payments (contrary to what Trump actually said).

Co-payments are waived for testing only.

Yep,

An awful lot of what Trump has had to say on COVID-19 has been born more of his imagination than of reality leaving his minders to back-pedal after.

To be charitable what else can one expect of him, especially when his advisers on the matter are Pense and Kushner ?

Cheers

I think it's probably a good thing some of the schools are going to stay open. Was reading something the other day about it. I mean if the kids aren't in school where are they ? Out and about in the general public most likely. Seems to me if the schools have been a safe-ish spot so far then why not just continue as per ...

Obviously if the kid, or the teacher or the cleaner or the admin. staff, has a cold then no stay home, that's a given.

Surely there's more chance of them picking up the virus from randoms out and about

Posted (edited)

Well if you close schools, kids stay at home and a parent has to stay with them ... which means parents can't work if they have a job.

Childcare is expensive as it is. I guess that's why they don't want to close schools.

OK older children can manage themselves I guess but younger kids probably not.

Edited by Jeruselem

Someone raised the good point that if the schools close it is likely in a lot of cases that grandparents will end up looking after them so parents can work and there is no real understanding of if kids can be carriers but show zero symptoms so you could put at risk the grandparents who are in the higher risk group.

That said the possibility of a total lock down is still being discussed apparently.

Cheers

17 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Someone raised the good point that if the schools close it is likely in a lot of cases that grandparents will end up looking after them so parents can work and there is no real understanding of if kids can be carriers but show zero symptoms so you could put at risk the grandparents who are in the higher risk group.

That said the possibility of a total lock down is still being discussed apparently.

Cheers

True kids aren't exactly the most hygienic lot either.

kids seem not either largely affected, nor particularly symptomatic, while still carrying and transmitting the virus

so for older carers this is problematic, as they are at most risk

as for parents - it only takes one carer per pack of rugrats, so (most likely) dad can still go to work and collect disease on their behalf

as for not working with a cold - that's probably wise but likely undo-able; the risk of false negatives in screening afebrile and "well" (but infected)  people means they will not prove to be carriers, but they quite possibly are

it's going to get way sillier than now before it all settles down

I always wondered about the 'Chief Medical Officers'.

I assumed that they were dud doctors promoted out of harm's way to a bureaucratic role..........................and it seems I was right!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

I always wondered about the 'Chief Medical Officers'.

I assumed that they were dud doctors promoted out of harm's way to a bureaucratic role..........................and it seems I was right!

You seen the moron who's the Surgeon General in the USA?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Well if you close schools, kids stay at home and a parent has to stay with them ... which means parents can't work if they have a job.

Childcare is expensive as it is. I guess that's why they don't want to close schools.

OK older children can manage themselves I guess but younger kids probably not.

there is that...

but what about how hard is to make kids get the idea that going out amongst the throng of randoms may not be in the best interest of their family as a whole  ?

at least if school is happening there is more chance of a regimented behaviour during this time ... those that play hooky cos that's just what they do, * shrugs * , they not be likely to stay at home indoors either  ....

48 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

... for parents - it only takes one carer per pack of rugrats, so (most likely) dad can still go to work and collect disease on their behalf

haha... the derision is palpable .

Edited by eveln

Posted (edited)

22 days starting from the day of 2000 infections in each case

china: 21-1 to 15-2

other: 23-2 to 15-3

quite arbitrary, but i find the rough correlation interesting. 

china's curve has flattened fairly consistently since — only adding another 13k during the past month. 

it remains to be seen whether the last point recorded for "other locations" is the beginning of a downward trend or an anomalous blip.

8cK0MDt.jpg

Edited by @~thehung

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

You seen the moron who's the Surgeon General in the USA?

Can't say that I have................but it sounds like I don't want to!

I wonder if bottle shops are seeing people buying any alcohol with 60% or over in large amounts.

Doubles as hand sanitizer and something you can drink LOL

Must be a slow news week.

Some site I was on had 2 articles on hand sanitizer - one on how to homebrew it, and the other was about the dangers of using it for masturbation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Rybags said:

about the dangers of using it for masturbation.

Oooooo but that would bring a tear or three to the eye surely !

1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

Great enema too..............don't use too much though!

why on earth would that occur to you ?!?

we did a a late-ishy run to Woolies .  Everything we needed to get was there no probs... 'cept the tomatoes have gone up again. cheapest ones $7.90 kilo . And of course the loo paper isle was like stripped clean. didn't need any, but had to look

Edited by eveln

Not closing the schools means people like my partner with asthma have the choice to keep teaching and potentially end up in hospital, or reject work and make no money. Casuals get no relief.

But also, why the heck would you want children in cramped rooms together? The virus doesn't just stay behind in school when they leave, once one kid gets it without obvious symptoms they'll all have it by the end of the week. That will hit all of those families. Social distancing is social distancing. Those infected kids will still be at the mall after 3pm and on weekends... this open school tactic is economic policy not health policy.

7 hours ago, .:Cyb3rGlitch:. said:

Those infected kids will still be at the mall after 3pm and on weekends...

In Australia, can you really see proper social distancing work ? Apart from those who'd quite happily like to live in their rooms gaming etc. that is, all the rest would be nigh impossible to keep contained. And isn't it the belief that everyone is gonna get it or carry it at least ?

Hah ! the only ones to properly survive this dreaded virus are the gamers !!

Posted (edited)

," don’t reach for your electric toothbrush or the pineapple slices that you’ve been stockpiling to give your dick a tingle, either." ... is that even a thing ?!

@Rybags yep I opened your link 😉

Edited by eveln

Posted (edited)

I work in primary schools, and wouldn't mind the extra holidays (thank goodness I'm permanent)

But closing the schools is potentially disruptive across the board.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the "At least the kids are in a manageable environment, and can be taught what to do to stay healthy" as opposed to "letting 3 million kids roam free in the community and all the issues that entails"

I'm assuming even childcare centres would be part of the closures, so that's one less avenue.

There are still questions around whether school aged children will even show symptoms, even though they may be carriers.

This risks the whole school community.

You're d@#ned if you do, d@#ned if you don't.

Mind you, I think it's inevitable though, there's much debate going on in the wider community, I'd say schools may be closed as early as next week.

Edited by smadge1