Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

9 hours ago, .:Cyb3rGlitch:. said:

Not closing the schools means people like my partner with asthma have the choice to keep teaching and potentially end up in hospital, or reject work and make no money. Casuals get no relief.

But also, why the heck would you want children in cramped rooms together? The virus doesn't just stay behind in school when they leave, once one kid gets it without obvious symptoms they'll all have it by the end of the week. That will hit all of those families. Social distancing is social distancing. Those infected kids will still be at the mall after 3pm and on weekends... this open school tactic is economic policy not health policy.

But if they closed a school the casual teacher would still not get paid. So no real financial difference for a casual teacher if they self isolate for personal medical reasons.

20 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

it's going to get way sillier than now before it all settles down

Absolutely. Going to be an interesting rest of 2020.

19 minutes ago, hulkster said:

Absolutely. Going to be an interesting rest of 2020.

US cut rates to near zero now, yes back to 2008 recession panic or worse.

1 hour ago, smadge1 said:

You're d@#ned if you do, d@#ned if you don't.

huh, i actually sat here for 10 minutes racking my brains as to what super filthy and exotic expletive you could possibly be alluding to.  i cant believe i managed to completely overlook the obvious. 

FYI: reported to moderators.

Stuff that doesn't kill the virus inside the body (stuff you shouldn't drink)

24 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Stuff that doesn't kill the virus inside the body (stuff you shouldn't drink)

[video]

thats all well and good, but which of those chemicals is best to masturbate with? 

15 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

thats all well and good, but which of those chemicals is best to masturbate with? 

Try the bleach first @~thehung. If you not be satisfied go the alcohol next, no promises mind

• Thanks 1

Hmm,

Most of the world has gone on a panic buying splurge on toilet paper but what has also up-ticked in America ? Ammunition - typical...

Cheers

Looks like bullion dealers in the USA are getting more customers with panic over crashing markets, yes physical Gold not the price of "paper" Gold which I think is artificially low.

Interesting - rather strong limits on how much physical gold you can legally own in the U.S.

The paper value tends to dance around. Courtesy of living years in W.A. I have a lot of friends who play the gold market, most of them seem to do alright, I've never really been tempted.  It has always been complicated by hedging which is usually six months out. what has always bemused me is how marginal owning a mine can be - some of the smaller ones open and close over a few dollars variation.

Cheers

12 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Interesting - rather strong limits on how much physical gold you can legally own in the U.S.

The paper value tends to dance around. Courtesy of living years in W.A. I have a lot of friends who play the gold market, most of them seem to do alright, I've never really been tempted.  It has always been complicated by hedging which is usually six months out. what has always bemused me is how marginal owning a mine can be - some of the smaller ones open and close over a few dollars variation.

Cheers

Paper gold is a promise/agreement you can actually get physical Gold, it's a complete lie too.

Good luck you get physically getting the actual bullion.

😉

Yeah, all started with going off the gold standard and the wording on bank notes changing 🙂

Money began becoming a fiction about then.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Money began becoming a fiction about then.

Hasn't this been hammered out enough with DMB's posts?  Gold is inherently worth next to nothing.  It's usefulness is severely limited (certainly less useful than copper) except for attractiveness to humans.  Thus, the gold standard is about as fictitious as the ludicrous cost of diamonds.

Money is no more nor less than a concept - an agreement between people so they can figure out the exchange rate between draft horses, fresh chicken eggs, tonnes of stone, and kegs of beer.

Edited by Cybes
phrase moved for clarity

😉

A consensual agreement on value is probably about as close as it can be approximated.

Gold is the chosen metal for two reasons: it is in relatively short supply, which can be regulated, and it does not corrode in atmosphere so it's "worth" remains constant. Copper would not because it does oxidise.

Diamonds I utterly agree with, very useful in industry but the artificial ones should have taken up that load by now so the only reason their value endures is one of the most successful marketing campaigns in history.

Personally I much prefer emeralds 🙂

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Emeralds have been artificially created for many many decades, to the point of comprising defects to look like the real deal. Nothing sparkles like a diamond. Nothing.

Edited by eveln

🙂

Yes, emeralds have indeed, but it's not the sparkle I care much for so much as the traditional emerald cut and the colour.

Cheers

One winner out of this could be video games and video streaming as people are stuck at home for weeks or months.

The ANZ server on WoT seems low in numbers still .I was hoping we'd gain more this last weekend ... maybe they're still to come.

I did say a few posts back that gamers would likely be the healthiest amongst us all 😉

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

One winner out of this could be video games and video streaming as people are stuck at home for weeks or months.

Well thankfully we have an up to date high speed NBN rolled out nation wide to cope with this demand. Oh wait no we haven't, because the "adults in charge" decided an unreliable half arsed solution was good enough.

Don't spread it but the bleach is actually something worth stashing... if the water goes to shit you use a capful or just under per litre to kill the nasties.

10 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Don't spread it but the bleach is actually something worth stashing... if the water goes to shit you use a capful or just under per litre to kill the nasties.

🙂

What you mean Wallis ?  The water in this country is shit!  🙂

Cheers