Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

twenty separate articles on the front page of my abc news feed

47 minutes ago, chrisg said:

*Sigh*

You really are pathetic...

It's quite possibly an over-reaction Logic but on the other hand America is presenting a text book example of how to fuck it up - I think I prefer the over-react mode and even then it is flawed.

Case in point - they are resisting closing schools on the basis that young people are less susceptible. Leaving aside the link in here today that shows that may be a fallacy it kinda overlooks the possibility that kids are carriers and teachers are adults, as are support staff.  A big chunk of my family work in ed. They'll keep turning up but they fully expect to get infected if the virus progresses at the exponential rate it seems to be going at.

It's time to stop with half measures and bite the bullet and smooth out that curve.

Cheers

You mean, extend the pain and really damage the economy?

The danger to the economy is in totally overloading the heath systems and also associated infrastructure such as transport.

A sharp peak in infection putting too many people off the streets in one hit, especially those of working age would be disastrous.

That's why everyone of any intelligence was up in arms at the mere suggestion of generating "Herd immunity" by just letting the virus run rampant in the U.K. today.

The economy can weather a progression of infection it is far less certain it can weather a near complete shut-down.

Heck, we only have a small number of people infected and few deaths and the place is already going nuts, imagine what it would be like with sudden mass infection.

Cheers

Reports of sudden rush on cash withdrawals from the banks in the USA. Unlike crappy Australia, they have vaults of that paper money.

A near complete shut down is what is happening ... given that business was already dead for all those bushfired areas , this is just a total whammy regardless of territory. Speaking with a man arrived from Vic. today, he's amazed that the loo paper section is all that's daily wiped out up here.  The Indigenous areas north of here are closed to tourists now and I don't blame them for doing it tbh. Just wait till the planes don't want to fly at all. Just wait till the trains and buses, for the same reason, stop ... lol

Seriously the hype is gonna send us jobless and to the poor house before anything else.

• Like 1

The aftermath of the bushfires is reconstruction and repair so the big picture is a sort of economic boom.

At the moment here it's supply not meeting demand for shopping.  I stopped in around 7pm for supplies and the amount of cars parked was somewhat higher than normal.

What's pissing me off though is the shortage of everyday stuff.  The meat section was almost bare at Coles.  About the only thing not affected is the junk food.

Yeah,

I've not bothered to go as yet.

Theory says the idiots freezers have to fill up soon...

Cheers

Possibly... but then there's the ones who do jerky, preservative jars etc etc to the point where they can store a couple of year's worth.

🙂

Survivalists you mean ?

I'd think they have been hoarding for years... 🙂

Coles and I think Wollies are doing the smart thing, shutting early to get fully stocked for next day trading. Do that for a couple of days and the nutters will realise the food is not about to run out...

Toilet paper is the stupidest of all, Kimberley Clarke have a factory not 20 minutes from me that alone could supply all of Australia with not only TP but disposable nappies as well - utterly bloody ridiculous.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rybags said:

The aftermath of the bushfires is reconstruction and repair so the big picture is a sort of economic boom.

Providing all the subcontractors etc. can keep their business operating  ... and that means not having any cases of the virus among their work force. cos once that happens the shop is closed for at least a fortnight, possibly longer.

There's a couple in one of the twenty articles earlier this evening who felt quite sick but weren't tested cos they didn't meet the criteria ... then what do you know ? but someone they came in contact with has been found affected so then all the people this other couple came in contact with are all supposed to self isolate too ...

as an aside, would love to know how builders or indeed any manual work is done from  a self isolated position 😉

Edited by eveln
meet

7 hours ago, Rybags said:

At the moment here it's supply not meeting demand for shopping.  I stopped in around 7pm for supplies and the amount of cars parked was somewhat higher than normal.

What's pissing me off though is the shortage of everyday stuff.  The meat section was almost bare at Coles.  About the only thing not affected is the junk food.

They're hoarding toothpaste now.

Geeze! How much do you use?

A tube lasts me about three months!

2 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

A tube lasts me about three months!

you may just need another tube to get you by then 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Never fear, we gots more testing kits

Good news to supplement the need -  but SA is currently using 600 tests a day - but of an oldies state, but with a small population, it would be logical to scale to around 10k-15k per day nation wide, so 100,000 tests is about a week supply.

Posted (edited)

Scomo says no more trips overseas for us common folk please.

Edited by Jeruselem

Tourism, travel and airlines are really being dealt a blow, one that could be fatal for some.

It took my sister and her husband four days to get their flights to Europe cancelled, the agency was just overloaded with cancellations and deferrals. Even inside Australia demand is way off norms.

Cheers

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8115879/COVID-19-Australian-researchers-CURE-coronavirus.html

Old drugs with a new use?

A team of infectious disease experts at the University of Queensland in Brisbane say they have seen two existing medications manage to wipe out COVID-19 infections.

Chloroquine, an anti-malarial drug, and HIV-suppressing combination lopinavir/ritonavir have both reportedly shown promising results in human tests and made the virus 'disappear' in infected patients.

Yeah,

Saw that yesterday, think I mentioned it.

I suppose stranger things can happen, the HIV anti-viral I can sort of understand, not so much the Chloroquine, but if it works...

The thing is malaria is a parasitic infection, very nasty but not viral although many of the symptoms have similarities.

Cheers

Heh,

With all this going on I forgot it was St Paddy's day yesterday, hope you had a good one - I think I have Guinness in the fridge  🙂

Cheers

4 hours ago, chrisg said:

Heh,

With all this going on I forgot it was St Paddy's day yesterday, hope you had a good one - I think I have Guinness in the fridge  🙂

Cheers

Leave it there................bloody rubbish that it is!

No wonder they are so keen to get out of Ireland!

Scomo, say ... we don't have enough nurses. OH YES we have those nursing International students in the country we can kinda borrow! Wonder what they'll be paid.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/visa-work-restrictions-lifted-on-20-000-international-student-nurses-20200318-p54bfz.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1584523756

I was surprised when I went to the supermarket that the junk food didn't go first.

Maybe there are larger stocks of that?

The local chemist which is a sort of major one was down to it's last Ventolin.

Gladly I only use the thing once a day though it'd be nice to have 1 or 2 more in reserve.

My bathroom stuff aside from the antisplash is now adequately stocked.

Junk food - I doubt there'll be a rush on it.  Maybe chocolate as at least it has some energy value.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rybags said:

The local chemist which is a sort of major one was down to it's last Ventolin.

Gladly I only use the thing once a day though it'd be nice to have 1 or 2 more in reserve.

My bathroom stuff aside from the antisplash is now adequately stocked.

Junk food - I doubt there'll be a rush on it.  Maybe chocolate as at least it has some energy value.

I have them all round the place.

Mainly for the Missus.

Rarely use it myself but I might try to get another one for the new van.