Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

I visited a local KFC last night - they've taped off the tables and now it's drivethru and take away only.

Good idea, at least they've stayed open and made food available to those of us who go to restock ho-hum items only to see bare fridges at the supermarket.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3551767

This result is consistent with the fact that the high temperature and high humidity significantly reduce the transmission of influenza. It indicates that the arrival of summer and rainy season in the northern hemisphere can effectively reduce the transmission of the COVID-19.

Message = MOVE TO DARWIN

very interesting

March

83APot8.jpg

July

3s8rK4j.jpg

looks like some relief is coming for Italy

lets see if that split between east/west USA is borne out in the data...

Edited by @~thehung

Posted (edited)

and let's not mention the ~ 4000 passengers and crew that disembarked at circular quay yesterday having spent a cruise round nz with (so far) 4 proven covid19 cases, without everyone coming off the ship  being required to isolate for 14 days

apparently nz is not "overseas" if your embarkation point is australia, and you put international travellers in an incubator where several show signs of flu like illness in the current situation

today at work i saw maybe 15 patients; not one got inside the practice - we are almost exclusively doing it by phone and only briefly making contact in the rear car park to hand over scripts or paperwork

it's all going downhill fast from here - you heard me call it early

Edited by scruffy1

14 minutes ago, .:Cyb3rGlitch:. said:

Call it early? We've known for weeks that Australia is set up for failure. 👎

yep.  44 weeks in fact :P

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, .:Cyb3rGlitch:. said:

most everyone is severely under prepared for just how weird it's going to get very quickly

tell me on monday if i missed the launch

so the distance between individuals is now 2 meters ... or so I'm told.

Well now that we've closed the borders, all those not self isolating or in hospital, should just bloody get out here and have some fun and stop fucking panic buying . Cos in a few weeks I'm gonna need some loo paper so there better bloody be some when I need it.

Posted (edited)

They're lagging almost a month behind in what should have been done.  And not forgetting the incubation period which means the stats are a week and a half behind reality.

And it was remarked - at our arrivals they didn't even bother to temperature scan anyone, they've just been trusting that people coming in/back isolate for the 14 days.

I did an EFT transaction today and the machine (I tapped) was wrapped in plastic.  Why?  If anything, it'd provide a nice haven for the nasties to more easily transmit to the next user assuming they're not cleaning it every time someone touches it.

Edited by Rybags

Whatever this country is doing wrong, I'd still rather be here than most anywhere else. ffs.

2 hours ago, @~thehung said:
4 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3551767

This result is consistent with the fact that the high temperature and high humidity significantly reduce the transmission of influenza. It indicates that the arrival of summer and rainy season in the northern hemisphere can effectively reduce the transmission of the COVID-19.

Message = MOVE TO DARWIN

very interesting

Yes it will be interesting to see how we fare up here during our winter.  Today or yesterday a lady was hospitilised in Cairns ... the little I heard on the radio this morn. said she had just flown in from O/S. .

As Tasmania has totally shut it's doors, it's up to the rest of Aus. to entertain those of us who had planned to travel O/S but now can't. The country needs your dollars like never before. So travel here, by car if need be, spend your hard earned here and keep this place going.

Italy has surpassed China with number of deaths.

It's got me sort of buggered how well China has arrested the spread (assuming the stats aren't being faked).

One problem we have, there's plenty of stupid cunts not taking it a single bit seriously.  And in some cases, they'd be prime candidates for ICU if they caught it.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, eveln said:

so the distance between individuals is now 2 meters ... or so I'm told.

Well now that we've closed the borders, all those not self isolating or in hospital, should just bloody get out here and have some fun and stop fucking panic buying . Cos in a few weeks I'm gonna need some loo paper so there better bloody be some when I need it.

90318915_10156662523372735_8546958380437

and from the same source (u.k. based, reflecting the nhs readiness)

90348545_10156659708072735_7216907901942

Edited by scruffy1
  • Haha 2

I'm no Morrison fan but I do think they have it mostly, I stress mostly, correct. The trouble is that people are just plain and simply not wired to respond to this sort of unseen threat and have no idea of how to properly isolate.

My expectation is that panic buying will ease in the next few days because the morns freezers will be overflowing at just about the time that we do enter rapidly increasing numbers that will most likely then level off as people finally take self-isolation seriously and then the numbers will begin to fall.

That is according to Norman Swann actually the dangerous time when after the lull the pandemic can come back very strongly.

First in was China that is now relaxing its grip, if the pandemic begins to rise again there we will know to keep a tight hold.

There is no suggestion that it need do so, SARS did not really, although Singapore, which is far better prepared this time did have a second wave.

Australia did not catch much more than a glancing blow with SARS, mostly because it was a slower virus and better contained in Asia and it also revealed itself sooner. As a result we are not particularly well prepared, unlike Singapore and Taiwan which had good procedures and contingencies in place.

If one good thing comes out of this it is that Australia needs a strong CDC equivalent, this is likely to be the century of pandemics and the next one may not be so gentle.

With that in mind I just hope that the country does not weather the storm, shrug it off and expect business as usual - we need to be better prepared for the next one.

Some things in society may well be permanently adjusted by this and I repeat this is mild compared to what could be.

Cheers

The problem is we were moving towards a US style health system, hopefully this virus put paid to that idea.

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

I visited a local KFC last night - they've taped off the tables and now it's drivethru and take away only.

Good idea, at least they've stayed open and made food available to those of us who go to restock ho-hum items only to see bare fridges at the supermarket.

Yeah...........they announced that yesterday that they were going takeaway only.

People in fast food joints are deadset grubs.

They leave shit all over the place...............let alone germs!

48 minutes ago, Rybags said:

One problem we have, there's plenty of stupid cunts not taking it a single bit seriously.  And in some cases, they'd be prime candidates for ICU if they caught it.

I've a sneaking suspicion you might be referring to me . lol .  Thing is I'm up in the boonies away from the congestion of the cities. And already locals are doing it very tough and the worst has not even got here. Ninety-seven percent ( I reckon ) of us will be just fine.

The country needs to continue on ...

2 hours ago, .:Cyb3rGlitch:. said:

WEEKS!!??

I said in the first week of Jan that flights from China should have been stopped before Christmas and they are 2 months too late at closing the borders and the iso methods employed then would have worked.

Everything associated with this virus has ensured that it made sure that all the world got it so that we all had to help stamp it out when it could have been contained in China.

• Like 1

Stopping inbounds from China around Christmas would have been deemed a racist act though.

If the initial outbreak was in Italy I bet they'd have done it though.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

you people are mistaking the onset of he problem with the time when the curve moves from pretty horizontal to going vertical - and that's the next several days

the illness and death rates will lag by a little while, but they're already a fait accompli

comparison with mers is pointless

from my talk a month or so ago :

SARS was a relatively rare disease; at the end of the epidemic in June 2003, the incidence was 8422 cases with 774 deaths - a case-fatality rate of 11%

Of 1789 MERS cases , there were 558 deaths - the overall %CFR of the pandemics with MERSCoV was 31.1%

both of these killed people pretty effectively, which makes an outbreak not self sustaining even if containment is not perfect

the "perfect" infection doesn't deplete the host stock sufficiently to consume its resources - it goes in for the longer game, and then hits critical mass and "unexpectedly" (predictably, but to the surprise of most naive victims) explodes

the fuse is fizzing, and it's around the point when the flame disappears through the wick hole to the bomb like in the adam west batman movie

kerboom !  holy fucking hand grenade batman

pity everyone keeps acting like there's nothing wrong... people closer to the medical world get the picture

this is a really good article in smh today :

https://www.smh.com.au/national/you-don-t-want-me-to-have-to-save-your-life-20200320-p54c6y.html

it brings the grover meme above into focus

this has just been listed in the smh too :

Australia faces being locked down suburb by suburb

NSW and Victorian suburbs face being shut off and put into lockdown while rescue flights are set to take off to pick up stranded Australians overseas as part of government preparations for the coronavirus outbreak to worsen.

The national cabinet will next week consider how to implement lockdowns on a suburb-by-suburb basis after a tightening of restrictions on all pubs, cafes and other non-essential indoor activities.

Edited by scruffy1

@scruffy1 it's like you're in a different world from up here ... oh, not that I disbelieve what you say .

like i said, it's all ramping up here and will definitely surprise the masses

the end result won't be mass death, but it will certainly cull the herd a touch

as one of the mailing list of docs said (and we're mostly older types), it'll go from okay boomer to bye bye boomer...

if the planet is looking for a change of the guard, killing off the large cohort of elderly liberal voters will do it - i expect that's why this is an emergency, and global warming is not

global warming won't kill the current older generations, but this is a real and present danger for them

the realisation that unencumbered international travel is a risky leisure pursuit for the population as a whole is well overdue; the reduction in greenhouse gasses for "staying home" will be the best adjustment in heating rate for a long time

the forced lesson that taking our "dominance" as a given will educate a large chuck of privileged humanity too young to have an appreciation of history as something that happens to real people, not some streaming fantasy

meanwhile, in other news today :

https://www.worldometers.info/

No argument from me scuffy.

NSW has copped it pretty hard, I don't yet know how harsh it is going to be in S.A. but I suspect not too bad, although there is certainly going to be loss of life particularly in the older population  - in the end we are a retirement State to some degree and an awful lot of retirement homes.

Seems a bit heartless but to some degree I am grateful my mother passed last year, this would undoubtedly have offed her anyway in one of those incubators and she would never have taken kindly to being denied seeing her great grandkids anyway.

Me ?

I've no idea - I''m still a bit breathless from the damned pneumonia and as a consequence taking all the precautions that I can whilst still getting food when I need it but certainly not panic buying. I'd rather risk an infrequent shopping trip than a bloody stupid supermarket fight.

Philosophical I guess, I may not even get it, if I do you can bet I'll fight the damned thing - I do not give up easy.

I guess being the age I am I'm in a higher group and that brush with pneumonia does not help but that aside I' m not unhealthy, will have to see what obstacles come along.

See you on the flip-side 🙂

Cheers

Posted (edited)

My daughter has a SERIOUS dairy allergy. I went to FIVE different food outlets to try and get Soya milk for her as we were nearly out.

Good job I used my ebike as I would've used heaps of fuel otherwise.

Why has everyone gone bananas for Soya Milk lately ?

Oh... Sorry for shaky footage. It's an "El Cheapo" Action Cam I'm using. (No stabilisation and the suspension on my front forks is seized)

Edited by Outcast_Aussie

24 minutes ago, Outcast_Aussie said:

My daughter has a SERIOUS dairy allergy. I went to FIVE different food outlets to try and get Soya milk for her as we were nearly out.

Good job I used my ebike as I would've used heaps of fuel otherwise.

Why has everyone gone bananas for Soya Milk lately ?

Oh... Sorry for shaky footage. It's an "El Cheapo" Action Cam I'm using. (No stabilisation and the suspension on my front forks is seized)

Because it has a long shelf life I'd guess.