Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

18 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Gezzus Christ - if a site of national significance cannot handle at least 250,000 concurrent connections it should not be up - 750,000 for some headroom - a lot of people are slow to logout.

It really is not THAT hard, a mix of decent HTML code monkeys and some industrial strength network design, in particular load balancing - what a crock of shit...

Centrelink is still struggling to keep up with unprecedented demand from people seeking financial assistance amid the coronavirus pandemic, with the minister responsible saying he didn't realise what the impact of shutting thousands of businesses would be.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-24/centrelink-minister-stuart-robert-not-anticipate-coronavirus/12080612

jesus h fucking christ !

inept and not fit for the job doesn't begin to cut it

in the current situation political "flavour" should be irrelevant, and there should be a mutual arnistice allowing all major parties (and the minors) to co-operate and brainstorm the best solutions to an unprecedented situation

it's patently obvious scooter and the gang are way out of their depth; it's good to see victoria's decision on enforcing isolation, and nsw almost disregard for scooter's "school ifs good for keeping the kids while parents work" that may produce some containment of spread, but already rather too late

"denial of service" was actually pretty accurate for the problem, except it's the government that has been doing that

Heh,

Never did win Govt bids on net builds to the point we didn't bid - wonder why ?

To some degree, less so but noticeable, we are seeing the same thing as the U.S. - States per-empting necessary decisions.

WRGT schools I really don't know, Singapore has not closed theirs, which is a pretty good bellwether,  but our environment in a social sense is different and that might be significant.

We are in uncharted waters but procrastination is the enemy, better to over-react...

Cheers

It's just an enduring, badly designed joke...

Good to see Russia and the U.S. setting everything aside and just getting in to support Italy in a time of need:

https://theaviationist.com/2020/03/22/russian-military-launches-humanitarian-air-bridge-sending-il-76-airlifters-to-help-italy-fight-covid-19/?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

Cheers

It's over-reaction in closing down thousands of businesses I reckon ... Golf clubs come under the banner of the clubs that must close . I reckon they coulda just closed the lounge area and allowed people to use the course ...

17 minutes ago, eveln said:

It's over-reaction in closing down thousands of businesses I reckon ... Golf clubs come under the banner of the clubs that must close . I reckon they coulda just closed the lounge area and allowed people to use the course ...

don't give up yer day job...

you won't make it as an infectious diseases consultant

better late than never perhaps, but maybe too late

when this shit really ramps up you will understand that "over-reaction" will seem inadequate

a bit of isolation is very much like a bit pregnant

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

They say we're about 2 weeks behind the UK.

May as well say here that Sydney is ahead of the rest, then followed by big country towns then little ones.

And the stats are probably 8-10 days at least behind reality anywhere.

Supposedly a state+fed cabinet meeting tonight, I suspect a whole bunch more shutdowns by the end of the week.

In anticipation I grabbed a few things from Woolworths.

Was hoping for 2 30 packs of Pepsi Max but it seems I got the last one.

The only meat in the open freezer section was a couple of trays of chicken offal cuts.

But the closed freezer section not so bad, got a bag of chips and frozen NZ Hoki pack.

Probably a good idea they're closing at 8pm now, sort of a waste of time even 20 minutes ago.

15 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

you won't make it as an infectious diseases consultant

better late than never perhaps, but maybe too late

when this shit really ramps up you will understand that "over-reaction" will seem inadequate

a bit of isolation is very much like a bit pregnant

Better to err on the side of caution.

To the best of my knowledge the virus had not made it to Eyre Peninsula, where my brother and his family live, it did today, golfers on tour...

There is no such thing as "exceptions" but I guess the memo did not make it to Port Douglas...

Cheers

25 minutes ago, Rybags said:

In anticipation I grabbed a few things from Woolworths.

Was hoping for 2 30 packs of Pepsi 

I have a few boxes of out-of- date Coke cola back at work that you can have

🙂

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

so far I have one still. but given everyone else is too busy wondering whether  their Gov. money is gonna come, or trying to by stocks to keep them in a home they're not sure how long they can afford, I'm not sure how long my position will be relevant.

I guess it will be safer perhaps, being at home as there will be those looking to get goods and shit anyway they can, so best to have a home that's at least occupied yes ? Oh wait after a while those wanting to break in are gonna get pissed off there are no vacant dwellings and just go in anyway right ? Or will they be too starved and lacking in energy to try ? But then mostly shit will be fine right most of us will survive one way or the other, So let's just bend over and take it like .... ummmm. fucked if i know tbh

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-24/coronavirus-rent-stress-grows-as-unemployment-bites/12085652

38 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Probably a good idea they're closing at 8pm now, sort of a waste of time even 20 minutes ago.

doesn't really matter what time they close up here, most of the stock doesn't make it this far north. I was there at about 5.30 last night ... it was like they hadn't stocked the shelves for days

Edited by eveln
insert link

the long lines at centrelink will be a fine place to disseminate contagion; don't see too many people maintaining 2m seperation

food is in plentiful quantities, but like money it's not evenly distributed, and will cause the same problems - those "well off" will only need to worry about disease; the rest will have to worry about whether they can last long enough to catch it

meantime in better news, the feds have restricted provision of chloroquine and derivatives, so joe public can't stockpile what may be an essential drug,  seeing how the selfish imbeciles are already stockpiling every other drug they reckon they might need, regardless of depleting stock for those who do or will need it more

the "success" of capitalism is reaping what it sewed, and western society might finally recognise that the old chant of "we live in a society, not an economy" is right, because the economy is about to take a major lie down for a while

get ready eveln, the winds of change are blowing to people near you, people like you and you; we're already rugging up against the growing chill down here, and it ain't winter that's making us feel cold

21 hours ago, eveln said:

I  am curious to see how we fare up here, as I don't expect any lessening of procedures for us. 

Ya see that up there chrisg ?? Ya see that was posted 21 hours ago .... being a troll is what you think you excel at ... that's a pretty proud achievement for some one of your unique self I'm sure you agree .your one and only claim to fame you do know that don't you ?

Posted (edited)

the winds of change blew for this region when the shit first hit the fan in Wuhan. Being a tourist area, Which is basically what Far North QLD is, sure some cane and mango and coal, tourism is where it's at. Wuhan wounded Australia waaay back then.

What's killing us now is no domestic market on top of no O/S. market. We've ( the business I work for )  been here so long due to domestic travel

Edited by eveln

44 minutes ago, eveln said:

the winds of change blew for this region when the shit first hit the fan in Wuhan. Being a tourist area, Which is basically what Far North QLD is, sure some cane and mango and coal, tourism is where it's at. Wuhan wounded Australia waaay back then.

What's killing us now is no domestic market on top of no O/S. market. We've ( the business I work for )  been here so long due to domestic travel

reset your expectations

if there's no domestic population, travel won't be an option

everyone needs to batten down and worry about having a future, not what it might be like

yes, it won't kill us all, but if the response is as inadequate as it has been so far, everyone will know at least a few people it drops, and some of that will be directly the consequence of precious petals not wanting to rope in their personal expectations

boris' idea of a living handout to all and fuck the consequences will both promote life going on, and let life go on

there must be a shitlload of work from home opportunities for centrelink they haven't filled yet

20 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

yes, it won't kill us all, but if the response is as inadequate as it has been so far, everyone will know at least a few people it drops, and some of that will be directly the consequence of precious petals not wanting to rope in their personal expectations

what you mean like cancer ? 'cept that's worse .

It was the precious petals, moneyed up travelers in Aus and Europe who felt no need to curb their precious lifestyle, that majorly helped to bring us to this totally uncalled for state of being. If you think my venting is precious then don't respond to it * shrugs * just ignore it.

31 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

boris' idea of a living handout to all and fuck the consequences will both promote life going on, and let life go on

Ye that one really really surprised me. I am in no way a fan of the man, but he seems to have really gotten his and the UK Governments act together over this.

Even heard a bit of his announcement on the radio last night and the quality of his speech a huge step up from his usual twaddle and bollocks.

Pity we are not seeing the same game lifting from our useless federal twats. As for that dangerous imbecile in the USA, /shudder.

The next level of restrictions come in midnight tomorrow.

I won't bother posting them, people should be able to watch TV or browse their local news website to get the report.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, eveln said:

what you mean like cancer ? 'cept that's worse .

It was the precious petals, moneyed up travelers in Aus and Europe who felt no need to curb their precious lifestyle, that majorly helped to bring us to this totally uncalled for state of being. If you think my venting is precious then don't respond to it * shrugs * just ignore it.

cancer isn't worse, but it's more random

potentially lethal disease suddenly gets way less remote from personal possibility once it hits people you actually know

and then with this, unlike cancer, which for the most part isn't contagious, it actually means you could get it yourself, and play deathlotto

having successfully survived a stage 4 malignancy so far, and at increased risk of copping a wipeout from this disease, cancer isn't worse than any other demise; but it is however generally slower than sars, and at least you get to say good-bye personally, not hidden in isolation and being switched off without your family being allowed near you at any stage after you are isolated, lest they spread the disease

let's not fucking kid ourselves, this is not like "normal" being sick and dying - once you get dealt the card, you may never get to see your family again

precious petals is anyone who believes their world isn't going to be touched; the moneyed up internationals who brought us the gift of pestilence as they supported our tourist economies, and the locals who rely on them

and then everyone else besides

if you feel i am picking on you personally, i assure you : no, i'm not

any more than a virus will... it doesn't give a rats arse who it uses for replication, but you can personally reduce your target size with appropriate restriction of personal liberties

it won't be forever, it'll just seem like that for the next few months

everyone is frightened, and with good reason

worrying about it won't change anything; being appropriately mindful of the consequences of ignoring it is really imperative for people you love. and even the ones you don't know

Edited by scruffy1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

if you feel i am picking on you personally, i assure you : no, i'm not

A discussion showing different views is what's going on isn't it ? Yours is not the only view out there, and neither is mine.

precious petals is anyone who believes their world isn't going to be touched; the moneyed up internationals who brought us the gift of pestilence as they supported our tourist economies, and the locals who rely on them

Well like I said already, as soon as the news of Wuhan hit Australia began to suffer.

frightened

furious.

Cancer may not be contagious and you do survive it too  ( so far I've lost a parent, and have two siblings that have survived it ) ... but tell me can you name anyone that doesn't have a connection to it somehow ?

35 minutes ago, Rybags said:

The next level of restrictions come in midnight tomorrow.

I won't bother posting them, people should be able to watch TV or browse their local news website to get the report.

I know the QLD border is due to close tomorrow night.

Edited by eveln

Posted (edited)

The new restrictions ... apologies if you want to punch Scomo in the smug face with an axe

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eveln said:

If you think my venting is precious then don't respond to it * shrugs * just ignore it.

if you wish to say i think you're precious, that's your own issue, not something i called you

36 minutes ago, eveln said:

A discussion showing different views is what's going on isn't it ? Yours is not the only view out there, and neither is mine.

yes, but reality doesn't care what you think, and without thinking doctors are superior, they do have a much better grasp of what's actually happening right here, right now

feynman nailed it - your view on contagion is naive; that's not an insult, it's the inevitability of most australians to not "get" it when they will very likely "get it" and somewhat because of that naivety

as for being angry, that's a part of the kubler-ross path to enlightenment in the face of death; the bit after denial if you subscribe to the  process being linear (which is simplistic) - denial > anger > bargaining > acceptance

connection to cancer isn't having cancer, and cancer is not homogeneous

connection to contagion brings the very real and present risk of contracting potentially fatal disease; with cancer you feel sorry for the victim and uneasy about your own risk, but it's an abstract anxiety not a statistical probability

see the very un-subtle difference ?

40-60% of people that know someone with cancer won't all get cancer in the next several months, will they ?

but that % of people who know (or even don't know) someone with covid-19 will be getting it anyway - and it kills people - young / old / lovely / stupid / random

being old and manky doesn't help, but no-one is immortal; some will simply do better than those that are already at risk

having an opinion about an epidemic isn't valid; it's a phenomenon, not a conversation

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Rybags said:

They say we're about 2 weeks behind the UK.

they do?  why?  not calling bullshit because theres lots of ways to interpret things and i havent seen anything focused on that particular comparison. 

first thing that comes to mind though is that they caught their first case about a week after us and yet they have about 4 times the the number of confirmed cases.  maybe that tracks with what you might expect as a function of population density per km² of habitable land.  a complicating factor though is the disparities in testing.  as of a few days ago we had tested around 4,500 per million compared to the UK's 1000, and they have had a higher rate of positives.  so i am thinking theres more chance that we will flatten our curve before they do.

Edited by @~thehung
  • Like 1

2 weeks I assume means the curve and the isolation measures.

We have the theoreticall advantage of lowest population density in the world.  But the reality is we're practically the most urbanised place in the world too so it makes SFA difference for the 83% or whatever it is who live in cities > 15,000 people.

Slightly OT, have people seen the pathetic bad taste "April Sun in Cuba" ads that CommBank have on TV spruiking the scheme for a year interest free on mortgages when a family member dies?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Rybags said:

We have the theoreticall advantage of lowest population density in the world.  But the reality is we're practically the most urbanised place in the world too so it makes SFA difference for the 83% or whatever it is who live in cities > 15,000 people.

which is what i meant by population density per km² of habitable land — although i admit that doesnt properly get across the idea of urbanisation.  and the higher you assume our 'real' density to be, the more the UK looks out of control compared to us.  as for the isolation measures, i havent been paying attention to when they started nor their level of half-arsedness relative to us 🙂

Edited by @~thehung

40-60% of people that know someone with cancer won't all get cancer in the next several months, will they ?

I don't know that and frankly, nor do you, for certain. But given the probabilities of the way we all live today,with what we ingest and use to give us comfort and warmth, it won't ever be a total surprise if some of us do, now will it ?

having an opinion about an epidemic isn't valid;

sure it is. Even if it's just purely a verbal reaction, of course it's bloody valid.

it's a phenomenon, not a conversation

the epidemic is the phenomenon, the opinion creates the convo ...