chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

5 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Some countries tried complete lockdowns, people ran out of food because they couldn't buy food - and then there were riots. So people were allowed out to buy food.

Yeah, at least both Oz, and NZ, wont have that problem, we are sort of bread baskets.

Cheers

Had me a little concerned but I gather it has more to do with needing the extra manpower.

The ADF is mostly composed of pretty sensible people, less likely to be a problem than expanding the NSW police force...

Cheers

1 minute ago, chrisg said:

Had me a little concerned but I gather it has more to do with needing the extra manpower.

The ADF is mostly composed of pretty sensible people, less likely to be a problem than expanding the NSW police force...

Cheers

I've heard cases of people getting off planes without even been screened by anyone let alone anyone from Border Farce.

13 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

I've heard cases of people getting off planes without even been screened by anyone let alone anyone from Border Farce.

Yeah,

There have been a number of reports, including the dear "Border Force"  who seem about as useful as their American TSA brethren, not taking responsibility for much of anything.

They never have seemed much more than ill-trained pseudo cops.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Yeah,

There have been a number of reports, including the dear "Border Force"  who seem about as useful as their American TSA brethren, not taking responsibility for much of anything.

They never have seemed much more than ill-trained pseudo cops.

Cheers

All these big brave "Border Force" people stopping illegal boats but they run the sight of a potential virus.

3 hours ago, eveln said:

Wow .

The last three posts above this.

I ...  never mind, let's just leave it at another really underwhelmed "wow"

well maybe those other two knuckleheads were laying the boot in, but leave Cybes alone!  he has a point.

lets pause to relive this gem from 2007:

Q: "Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?"

A: "I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uhmmm, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh, I believe that our, I, education like such as, uh, South Africa, and uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uhhh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us.”

theres indications that geographic awareness has improved in the USA since the National Geographic-Roper 2002 Global Geographic Literacy Survey (which polled more than 3,000 18- to 24-year-olds in Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden and the United States), but their woeful performance reflects their oppressively inward looking culture, which breeds ignoramuses thoroughly oblivious to the many ways the fates of all countries on this planet are intertwined.  maybe SARS-cov-2 is a bio-weapon after all, specially engineered to pull average American's heads out of their arses?

4 hours ago, eveln said:

Wow .

The last three posts above this.

I ...  never mind, let's just leave it at another really underwhelmed "wow"

At least three YouTube channels make vids of showing a map (names removed, and sometimes borders as well) to people on the street and asking them geography questions. Now, this is entertainment, so I have no doubt they cherry-pick the results, but that they get *any* as profoundly ignorant as shown in a year (let alone the 30 mins one live cam had) is deeply worrying.

Posted (edited)

What a great day ! I just thought I'd take a chance and stopped at IGA on my way home ... came out with a 24pack of loop paper ( that's the first time I've managed to buy paper since this shit fest started, Walt managed to buy a smaller pack about ten days ago )  two packets of pulse noodles and some Rye-Vitas ... not the " original " that we like but multigrain ... they'll be great after the card board commonly known as Crisps that we got through the week ... anyone would think I lived in a second world country or sumfink !

Edited by eveln
cos it's Friday and I'm excited
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, eveln said:

What a great day ! I just thought I'd take a chance and stopped at IGA on my way home ... came out with a 24pack of loop paper ( that's the first time I've managed to buy paper since this shit fest started, Walt managed to buy a smaller pack about ten days ago )  two packets of pulse noodles and some Rye-Vitas ... not the " original " that we like but multigrain ... they'll be great after the card board commonly known as Crisps that we got through the week ... anyone would think I lived in a second world country or sumfink !

Hey at least with loo paper it stores well. Coles and Woolies always out of meat here due to our less than stellar distribution system to here.

I pulled over to make a phone call this morning.  As it happened on a local hospital campus as it was the most convenient.

A high roof van was parked in front of me.  Pretty much full of dunny paper, pink sanitizer bottles and assorted other associated products.

The guy had gone into the building and just left the barn doors wide open on the van.  So tempting.

That aside last time I saw TP in the wild was around lunchtime about a week ago over the border.  And looked in 2 or 3 of the majors in the vicinity and saw nothing on the shelves.

Last personal purchase was a 3 pack of the absorbent kitchen paper about a week ago.

Supposedly it's getting better and you just have to get in early to buy it.  Might give that a shot on Monday.  I think I'm under 15 rolls but alarm bells not ringing yet.

In other news, I bought some own brand Coles Ibuprofen from a different outlet today... at the normal $1.55 price, not the $5.90 the local was asking for the other day.

Posted (edited)

US job unemployment claims ... check out the small spike, yes that's over 3 million!

-1x-1.png

Edited by Jeruselem

That's only a couple of percentage points or less.

Assuming the participation rate is similar to ours.  We = 11 of 25 million = 44%

That'd make them 44% of 330 million = 145 million... a tad over 2%

1 minute ago, Rybags said:

That's only a couple of percentage points or less.

Assuming the participation rate is similar to ours.  We = 11 of 25 million = 44%

That'd make them 44% of 330 million = 145 million... a tad over 2%

But compared to the spike at the time of GFC ... no comparison.

(OK, my figures out a bit, we should be 13 million participating)

Just in - Boris Johnson has tested positive.

Just watch the video, what a twat. Praises the NHS which he's underfunded and gutted like a dead fish.

So I guess this became some kind of coronaposting thread, rather than 34 pages of conspiracy fanfic?

Coronavirus ... meh. Let's just add Hantavirus in China! YEAH

• Like 1

their bioweapons lab needs some serious patching

from one of my favourite authors

"Western civilization is nearing collapse as oil runs out, and the Chinese are making vast leaps forward by miniaturizing themselves and training groups of hundreds to think as one. Eventually, the miniaturization proceeds to the point that they become so small that they cause a plague among those who accidentally inhale them, ultimately destroying Western civilization beyond repair."

Kurt Vonnegut, Slapstick, 1976

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

So I guess this became some kind of coronaposting thread, rather than 34 pages of conspiracy fanfic?

🙂

I think I did say in the OP that it was time for a corona virus thread anyway, but the rather striking coincidence of there being a high level bio-lab just meters from the Wuhan live market identified as the source of the virus does refuse to go away.

Cheers

21 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

I think I did say in the OP that it was time for a corona virus thread anyway, but the rather striking coincidence of there being a high level bio-lab just meters from the Wuhan live market identified as the source of the virus does refuse to go away.

Cheers

Same country where people eat rats and they don't have to and wonder why Hantavirus is getting out

https://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/IllnessandDisease/Hantavirus

🙂

Hanta virus has been around a long time, it doesn't communicate human to human that we know of, it comes from rodents, particularly rats.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hantavirus-china/

Granted Australia like every country has its share of rats but when was the last time you saw one, or even evidence of their presence ?

Covid on the other hand is decidedly infectious human to human, hence all the social distancing.

In reality in Australia we are still in the climb phase of the infection, perhaps we could have done more sooner but what we are currently seeing as rising infection numbers relates more to infections picked up days, possibly even weeks ago. We are not really going to know if we have stifled the progress of it through the population for a couple of weeks minimum.

Essentially we are doing the right things, a tighter lock-down may still be needed but nothing could be much worse than what America is NOT doing about it.

Cheers

just back from voting and a shop. managed to get what we needed, but now rice is non -existant. Oh you can get those ready made rice meals if you want, there is plenty of that shite left .