Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

CGU landlord insurance web site - I wonder what caused this to change???

We’re not offering cover for rent default and theft by a tenant on new policies right now, so you can’t add it as an optional extra. If you already have a Landlord Insurance policy which includes this optional extra, there will be no change to this cover.

• Like 1

Fair enough, the odds probably jumped from 2% at the start of the week to about 25.

Posted (edited)

Checked my current policy

Biological or Chemical Materials Exclusion
It is agreed that this Insurance excludes loss, damage, cost or expense of whatsoever nature directly or indirectly caused by, resulting from or in connection with the actual or threatened malicious use of pathogenic or poisonous biological or chemical materials regardless of any other cause or event contributing concurrently or in any other sequence thereto.

Edited by Jeruselem

So you best hope CV is not a pathogen 🙂

Cheers

29 minutes ago, chrisg said:

So you best hope CV is not a pathogen 🙂

Cheers

Don't you love insurance clauses! And yes you can say it is a pathogen.

7 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Don't you love insurance clauses! And yes you can say it is a pathogen.

🙂

You pay them, if they pay you is negotiable....

Cheers

They do my prof indemnity insurance... hope they don't jack that up.  The way things are going it's becoming redundant anyway.

Heard (well, read) of a possible link between CoV mortality and painkiller use.  Specifically, ibuprofen use.  Mum relayed it to a friend, with a casual "Oh, that's interesting!  I wonder if it's true?" and she opined that if so, it's probable that, being an anti-inflammatory, the vasoconstriction in alveoli (the air sacs which do oxygen exchange in the lungs) would be a major contributor.

ie:

- less blood to exchange oxygen, thanks to vasoconstriction

- alveoli function already compromised, thanks to being full of mucous

= not enough oxygen entering blood stream

== better chance of dying.

Ok, so that's the speculation.  Supporting evidence?  Two items:

1. Oxygen therapy has been shown to be at least somewhat effective.  That would make sense.

2. The elderly are disproportionally hit by this bug, even after accounting for immunocompromisation.  People accumulate aches and pains as they age, and elderly folks are typically on a pile of medications - usually including anti-inflammatories.

Hardly good enough for a paper, but enough to ask further questions, I think.

4 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

ibuprofen is toxic enough it is.

QFT.  But chronic pain often wins out over kidney damage - particularly when you're old and your kidneys are on borrowed time anyway.

Posted (edited)

Yep.  I use the stuff a bit and am aware of that sort of thing.  It can be bad when you have a flu, asthma symptoms, chest infections etc.  And probably worse if you're on certain steroids and NSAIDs to treat lung conditions.

Toxic enough... supposed links to stomach cancer as well.

Edited by Rybags

Don't take it, never have and you have persuaded me never to do so.

Cheers

well, i got curious about the idea that ibuprofen would cause vasoconstriction in the lungs
couldnt find anything suggesting its understood in a general sense to be a global or pulmonary vasoconstrictor
something something about constricting renal blood flow, and yes, pulmonary vasoconstriction in relation to pulmonary hypertension mostly confined to neonates/infants and specific chronic illnesses...but nothing unambiguous (to me) which doesnt mean a whole lot!
it is to some extent, though, a coronary arterial vasodilator -- and it seems concern over its inhibiting an enzyme that aids vasoconstriction is a factor in one recent concern over its effects on CoVid-19 in relation to certain conditions/medications

41 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

Cheers for that scruffy, it does confirm a small underlying suspicion or two I have about the lethality of COVID-19, how the cause of death is being recorded and it's real effect on communities.

I am in no way implying it should be ignored, but possibly the whole world has gone a bit bonkers over it when we cope with a flu season each year and all the illness and death that causes, either directly or indirectly.

But then again I am not a doctor of any sort.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

Hmm,

Interesting but it hardly matches to what is being seen especially in places such as Italy with the health system collapsing, people are not ending up in hospital for no reason.

The comparison to the flu has been made several times but there are eloquent reports now appearing from people who have survived a strong case of Covid that sound nothing like flu at all, especially in recovery being non-linear and impacts such as sky-high BP and near loss of lung function.

It is of course very important to be dispassionate in looking at what is going on but although there are now some suggestions that Covid may have been in the population for years before it exploded in the past few months certainly something happened that is new.

What could be interesting is if as a result of self-isolating we see far less than usual cases of the flu...

Cheers

this is why we eventually need a lot of antibody testing.

someone could have had it and recovered, perhaps with minimal symptoms.  a test for genetic evidence of the virus can be negative whilst they retain signature antibodies.

24 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

this is why we eventually need a lot of antibody testing.

someone could have had it and recovered, perhaps with minimal symptoms.  a test for genetic evidence of the virus can be negative whilst they retain signature antibodies.

It's a bit problematic because some people have the thing and don't even know ... with others they are dead pretty quick.

Now you'd think people might remember the revolting pics. that spread around news sites about clogging the drains with product that doesn't break down.

All you fucking greedy panic buying bastards have caused the drains to block again. Paper towels and wet wipes and rags do not go down the dunny . OKAY?!?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

"Unless we tighten criteria for recording death due only to the virus (as opposed to it being present in those who died from other conditions), the official figures may show a lot more deaths apparently caused by the virus than is actually the case."

it makes sense that focusing on death rates in patients without pre-existing comorbidities is particularly important, but among those who were already old and/or sick — how to tell for sure whether or not teh covids did it, or if a garden variety flu would have done the same, or if they were simply due anyway?  wouldnt want to throw the statistical baby out with the bathwater.  

4 minutes ago, eveln said:

Now you'd think people might remember the revolting pics. that spread around news sites about clogging the drains with product that doesn't break down.

you referring to this: 10-tonne fatberg removed from west London sewer ? ugghhh....

Edited by @~thehung

Hong Kong has also been dealing with lumps of disposable face masks washing up on beaches

Posted (edited)

I didn't see the show, my boss told me this : apparently 60 Minutes did a real number on China and it's Gov. 're the whole coronavirus from it's beginning and going forward.

Edited by eveln
Phone typing :(

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, eveln said:

All you fucking greedy panic buying bastards have caused the drains to block again. Paper towels and wet wipes and rags do not go down the dunny . OKAY?!?

Happens in the USA, without a pandemic.

NT not enforcing the 2 person limit

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-30/northern-territory-coronavirus-nurses-want-tighter-rules/12101686

Mainly because we don't have a lot of police anyway!

Edited by Jeruselem