chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

20 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Viruses aren't alive and don't get killed by antimicrobial stuff like this. They do get washed off with soap and water though. Although that is less convenient to carry with you... 

i am aware they are not alive per se.  i am not making an argument against ordinary hand washing — which is advisable before sanitising.  but i believe viruses can be removed/destroyed with sanitiser. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_sanitizer

Hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 % alcohol or contains a "persistent antiseptic" should be used.[16][17] Alcohol rubs kill many different kinds of bacteria, including antibiotic resistant bacteria and TB bacteria. 90% alcohol rubs are highly flammable, but kill many kinds of viruses, including enveloped viruses such as the flu virus, the common cold virus, and HIV, though is notably ineffective against the rabies virus.[18][19][20]. 90% alcohol rubs are more effective against viruses than most other forms of hand washing.[21]

coronaviruses are enveloped viruses

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

i am aware they are not alive per se.  i am not making an argument against ordinary hand washing — which is advisable before sanitising.  but i believe viruses can be removed/destroyed with sanitiser. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_sanitizer

Hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 % alcohol or contains a "persistent antiseptic" should be used.[16][17] Alcohol rubs kill many different kinds of bacteria, including antibiotic resistant bacteria and TB bacteria. 90% alcohol rubs are highly flammable, but kill many kinds of viruses, including enveloped viruses such as the flu virus, the common cold virus, and HIV, though is notably ineffective against the rabies virus.[18][19][20]. 90% alcohol rubs are more effective against viruses than most other forms of hand washing.[21]

coronaviruses are enveloped viruses

You are, it seems, correct. I read somewhere that most hand sanitisers don't deal with viruses but I did some further checking and with particular reference to Corona and it seems to be recommended. 

1 hour ago, fliptopia said:

You are, it seems, correct. I read somewhere that most hand sanitisers don't deal with viruses but I did some further checking and with particular reference to Corona and it seems to be recommended. 

🙂

If hand sanitizer doesn't kill the damn thing Coles and Woollies have been making a killing under false pretenses  🙂

Cheers

1 hour ago, @~thehung said:

90% alcohol rubs are highly flammable, but kill many kinds of viruses, including enveloped viruses such as the flu virus

Fair point.  I assumed that most of the hand sanitisers on the Aus market were not ballsy enough.

7 minutes ago, chrisg said:

If hand sanitizer doesn't kill the damn thing Coles and Woollies have been making a killing under false pretenses

... No comment.

Just now, Cybes said:

I assumed that most of the hand sanitisers on the Aus market were not ballsy enough.

they almost certainly arent.  not enough to be relied on in preference to regular hand washing.  checking a couples of empty bottles...i have one here that is 24% 'alcohol', and another that is 62% ethanol. 

i guess theyre low partly because high concentrations become too volatile/flammable, they can irritate, and they dry out skin. 

just think of how much money people will be wasting on the shit when CoVid 19 comes to town, when metho + water and maybe a dash of glycerine would be far more effective and FAR cheaper. 

2 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

when metho + water and maybe a dash of glycerine would be far more effective and FAR cheaper. 

and then make sure to have a couple of aloe vera plants growing . slice open a frond to replenish your skin

Just now, eveln said:

and then make sure to have a couple of aloe vera plants growing . slice open a frond to replenish your skin

you jest, but you can probably get a small amount of aloe very gel into suspension too.

7 hours ago, @~thehung said:

you jest, but you can probably get a small amount of aloe very gel into suspension too.

no, this time no jesting. the gel from the frond is brilliant for the skin. I only wish I had a plant growing here  😞

edit : oh, I'm all for your simple method of hand sanitizer. much prefer it to the bullshit that is mostly sold 

... but re the wet ones for trolley hand rails, it's a needs must thing at the time

Edited by eveln

So our Chief Marketing Officer Scotty is recruiting ex-GPs to help combat COVID-19. Great

Except most of them are over 65 and the type of people who'd suffer the most if they get it, like my Dad ...

Edited by Jeruselem

This is from a very lefty channel, so apply appropriate mental counter-weights to anything political, but they do manage to get their facts right most of the time, and in this they have a rather alarming visual at about the 3 minute mark.

8 hours ago, Cybes said:

This is from a very lefty channel, so apply appropriate mental counter-weights to anything political, but they do manage to get their facts right most of the time, and in this they have a rather alarming visual at about the 3 minute mark.

That's a pretty crazy visual right there. Gives some perspective on how fast it is moving. 

• Like 1

And those numbers are underreported due to some countries not even testing.

• Like 1

Yeah.

The re-infection is not yet confirmed but it is possible the virus is already mutating the way the flu does roughly once a year, but in the early stages of its encounter with humans happening much faster.

Virus' do not think as such but best evidence says they are not suicidal, they adapt to their host.  This one seems to be not particularly vindictive in the first place, we can hope it mutates to being benign.

No guarantees though - ebola has been taking its sweet time about it.

To illustrate:

A vaccine for 'flu 2019 is unlikely to protect you much from flu 2020, as scruffy mentioned it is only around 40% effective anyway, in the strain it is addressing.

In the end it comes down to the immune system.

Personally I'm upping my vitamin C 🙂

Cheers

I was discussing this last week and said that as soon as they come up with a vaccine, it will mutate and they'll have to do it all again.

If it is mutating already, we're in for some fun and games!

Well you get chicken pox, and well it's mild and nothing happens. Get the same freaking virus causing chicken pox, and you end up with Shingles which is nasty and unpleasant.

COVID-19 better not be same like this.

• Like 1

Heh,

For reasons that pass understanding I've had chicken pox three damned times, shingles is not allowed near me 🙂

CV will most likely not be a big deal, but it does for now pay to be alert.

Cheers

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-29/coronoavirus-queensland-sixth-person-confirmed-iran-return/12013580

" Queensland has recorded its sixth case of coronavirus after a 63-year-old woman became ill when returning from Iran "

" The fact this latest case has again emerged on the Gold Coast will come as a blow to the tourism sector.

Following the initial cases of coronavirus on the Gold Coast, the region's peak tourism body estimated the glitter strip had lost more than $500 million in tourism income.

The State Government has announced a $27 million aid package for affected businesses but estimates a $2 billion bill for tourism, education and agriculture."

I was speaking with this young Chines man who is heading to Bali tomorrow ( I think ) . Sounded like his partner was going for work and well he was going too with no real idea except to travel around a bit. He is obviously aware it's a dubious choice to make just now, but with the wisdom of his youthful experience he is fairly optimistic about it 😖 <- that's a big confounded face, just so you know

Edited by eveln
to paste more

Ok, so this is Bill Maher - possibly the most divisive host on TV.  I used to love his humor, but he pisses me off more often than laugh these days; if you're in the same boat, hold your nose - we're watching for the guest, here.

I must admit the whole "no hand shaking" thing is something I find very difficult - it's such a conditioned form of greeting.

Strange that he mentions the Japanese and bowing, Japanese are a very "hands off" sort of race who wear masks when out a lot even with no threat. Ask them and they shrug it off as smog or perhaps more honestly just not much liking being breathed upon.

Totally get that but it is not stopping Japan from blooming with Covid 19 - there is a lot we do not yet know about this virus.

My best guess, as a species we interact to an incredible degree on a global scale, often without even realising it, a few degrees of separation from almost anyone on earth in reality.

It is impractical to think we can stop that, ergo the virus is going to spread and many of us are going to be unwell. However for the vast majority of us that is all it will be.

It's not zombie apocalypse or anything like it, but putting a zombie in charge in the US - Pense - doesn't seem terribly smart...

Cheers

Wouldn't go to Indo as they aren't testing for the virus, and people think they just have another flu.

• Like 1

Just found a better infographic - this one includes the Spanish Flu pandemic, and doesn't include the alarmist host.  It's 2 weeks old, though, and in this sort of thing that matters a bit.

• Like 1