Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, chrisg said:

That's what I thought, local pharmacy certainly doesn't have any.

so...surgical masks then?  afiak, theyve been on back order in many places since early January probably due to early panic adopters.

you probably want a dusk mask though, if youre hoping to protect yourself from others rather than mostly the opposite.   they were around, here and there at hardware stores and such, but were already very low in stock due to the bushfires.

Edited by @~thehung

Just now, @~thehung said:

so...surgical masks then?  afiak, theyve been on back order in many places since early January probably due to by early panic adopters.

you probably want a dusk mask though, if youre hoping to protect yourself from others rather than mostly the opposite.   they were around, here and there at hardware stores and such, but were already very low in stock due to the bushfires.

I would not know enough about them to comment, in general I had always thought of them as being more to protect others from my potentially being unwell - at least that is the way it seems to usually be in Japan.

However the masks my brother uses are rated N-something and they are worn to protect him or his workers from paint and sanding dust so the opposite wuld apply.

That said, it's not exactly rocket science, I guess they work both ways.

Thing is my bro works frequently with airless sprayguns and the rebound from those is incredibly fine so I guess more than adequate protection. If anyone was thinking of a virus stopping mask, no way, this is about droplets. In an L4 lab they do not breath the lab air at all, basically they are in a space suit.

Cheers

The ones I referred to looked more like the freshly retired baby-boomers than the vulnerable older ones, though their fair share were out there as well.

You know, the ones that hang around the coffee shops for hours on end.

Such a hard life, especially here.  Likely most are retired public servants on a healthy superannuation benefit, and now the coffee shops are closed looking for somewhere else to spend that 80 bucks a week loose change.

Got to say as a positive at least, good to see a healthy number of supermarkets and chemists and other shops providing the sanitizer to use as you walk in, even though it still seems impossible to buy anywhere.

Yeah, Coles were doing that in a very friendly fashion today and proactively cleaning all the shopping baskets. I'd guess with the best will in the world it's going to be to a degree hit or miss but full marks for effort.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, chrisg said:

However the masks my brother uses are rated N-something...

everyone is all hung up on FFP2 (ie. P2) and N95 masks (which may be sold as equivalent in Aus because the standards are very close).  but lets say, you could only get a P1 mask, i would assume that is still WAY better for personal protection than a surgical mask.  surgical masks mostly stop moist droplets of goop getting out.  they hardly stop small particles getting in, and not aerosols.  there are too many gaps around the edges and they are fairly porous and comfortable to breathe through for long periods of time.

Edited by @~thehung
  • Like 1

🙂

N95 rings a bell.

However I've seen lots of pics, especially of kids, wearing them where they are not covering their nose - seems like a waste of time.

Cheers

37 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

N95 rings a bell.

However I've seen lots of pics, especially of kids, wearing them where they are not covering their nose - seems like a waste of time.

Cheers

N95 is a particulate mask but like all of them, it has to seal and be changed regularly.

3 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

I thought about turning up to jobs in one of these https://www.bunnings.com.au/protector-respirator-kit_p5822368 but it might be a bit alarming. Also it's hard to talk. 

I used to have a similar looking one about 20 years ago...........cost about a $150 dollars back then and the can filters I was using in it could filter out petrol fumes.

They cost nearly as much as the mask and you had to replace them every two to four hours!

(the normal 'dust' filters only cost a few dollars though)

You'd sweat like a bastard inside all that rubber!

Posted (edited)

Hmm,

Funny really, a full mask is just that, seals at the neck usually, which is probably easier but these are really just breathing masks.

I'd suggest if YOU are unwell but need to go out, wear one, but if you expect it to protect you much from unwell people around you, dream on.

My bro wears his to protect him from inhaling paint dust but he still get a bit to contend with on a long job. Fortunately he has never smoked but he still has a bit of lung reduction, then again he is 64.

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

Was talking to a mate on the phone today, relating to still working and he was saying a bloke he knows just uses a disposable then stores for a week and reuses.

I guess that could be a viable alternative to not being able to get them.  Supposedly the virus is viable for no more than about 3 days unless you provide it bio material and the right conditions.

Of course the masks themselves in most cases don't filter sufficiently but there's the benefit that it can stop particles entering your airway and also stops you inadvertantly putting your hand on nose or mouth.

8 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I'd suggest if YOU are unwell but need to go out, wear one, but if you expect it to protect you much from unwell people around you, dream on.

lies!  generalised across the population, what youre saying is mostly true.  because with social distancing in place theres a very low risk of someone sneezing/coughing into your face as you round the corner of building, or being exposed to the virus in aerosol form.  but if/when any of those things happen to you, youre much better off with the mask.  even better if youre wearing sunglasses, and have covered ears at the time....

10 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

lies!  generalised across the population, what youre saying is mostly true.  because with social distancing in place theres a very low risk of someone sneezing/coughing into your face as you round the corner of building, or being exposed to the virus in aerosol form.  but if/when any of those things happen to you, youre much better off with the mask.  even better if youre wearing sunglasses, and have covered ears at the time....

🙂

I guess anything can be better than nothing but social distancing in a supermarket is basically a fallacy. They've been shrinking the aisles for years so now you just have to pass directly by people, often slowly because there is the inevitable slow shopper or someone trying to re-stock. Any thought of keeping 1.5 meters away from people is La-La land.

Granted, quick interactions and likely nothing to be concerned over but any time you go out and go into a store right now you are rolling the dice.

I really can't get too concerned about it, I go out in flu season, I was up in Asia during SARS but it is something to acknowledge.

Cheers

Another funny has come my way.

Dunno if you lot get Peaky Blinders down there yet though ?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Outcast_Aussie said:

Dunno if you lot get Peaky Blinders down there yet though ?

When I first watched that show, I thought it would turn me back onto ciggies ... by christ they smoke an awful lot ! ... what happened though, was I started to feel sick in the gut . It was like being close to someone vomiting makes me want to upchuck too

12 hours ago, @~thehung said:

someone sneezing/coughing into your face as you round the corner of building, or being exposed to the virus in aerosol form.  but if/when any of those things happen to you, youre much better off with the mask.  even better if youre wearing sunglasses, and have covered ears at the time....

Hughsie reckons we should all where  wear full face helmets ... banks are gonna lurve that !

Edited by eveln
ffs spelling

okay if they're on a surfboard. ^^

Don't expect COVID-19 April fools days jokes this year ...

Interesting article here about masks.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/australian-expat-s-push-for-universal-mask-wearing-catches-fire-in-the-us-20200401-p54fu2.html

Basically, they don't hurt, and they MIGHT help.

The only downside is that you are taking away valuable supplies from medical professionals on the "might help" chance.

13 minutes ago, Chaos.Lady said:

Interesting article here about masks.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/australian-expat-s-push-for-universal-mask-wearing-catches-fire-in-the-us-20200401-p54fu2.html

Basically, they don't hurt, and they MIGHT help.

The only downside is that you are taking away valuable supplies from medical professionals on the "might help" chance.

We already have shortages so it's not helping.

Australia government coronavirus ads on FB driving me so I blocked them now.

59 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

We already have shortages so it's not helping.

sorry, I meant there is a *chance* it might help you not catch it.

But yes, you are correct.  From the POV of taking vital supplies away from those who it absolutely 100% WILL help, no, it’s not helping.