Jump to content
Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Wouldn't go to Indo as they aren't testing for the virus, and people think they just have another flu.

 

Allah will save them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

 

Allah will save them.

 

Ask the Iranians about that one 🤔

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first death has been reported in the U.S. Washington State.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chrisg said:

The first death has been reported in the U.S. Washington State.

 

Cheers

 

Not to mention...........................Australia!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah,

 

 I tend not to include the ones from the Diamond Princess in real on-shore statistics, but either way he was an elderly and very infirm man.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very true, and it is not the only one.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like this virus doesn't really hurt the young much, but worst affected are the old.

Means it's the Boomer generations at worst risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 6:53 AM, Cybes said:

 

  • Wash your hands!  Before touching your nose or mouth - if you touched anything between tap/faucet and orifice, stop and wash 'em again.  Hand sanitiser is not going to cut it - this is a virus, not a bacterium.  Use soap, and water as hot as you can make it without pain.  Use a nailbrush if available.
  • If you are sick, stay home!  If you have been sick recently, stay home for a day or two after you feel 'fine' again.  Your immune system is compromised, and that makes you alpha target.  (Also, nobody else wants your bug either.)

 

 

Yes, this can be very important when someone is unwell in general.

 

Re: Handwashing:
..Wash or clean your hands regularly.
Maintain general cleanliness of handrails, door knobs, tables etc.
To help minimize all kinds of viral & disease transmission.

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/...stopping-coronavirus-covid-19-spread/12014020

 

Antimicrobial hand gel or alcohol-based handrubs are certainly good when your hands aren't soiled/dirty or you have no access to a sink to wash with soap & water. Handy for travelling etc.
Take care for possible skin irritation reactions; & whilst some brands/types are likely "better" than others, virtually any is better than nothing.

More thorough hand-washing with some kind of soap & water is generally preferred where possible.

 

Also, whilst higher-filtration facemasks are preferred for various circumstances, any type of facemask can help in @ least some way; e.g. to help minimize the spread of droplets you may sneeze or cough into the air if you are unwell yourself, regardless of if you have any virus/illness or just a simple brief cough or whatever.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Looks like this virus doesn't really hurt the young much, but worst affected are the old.

Means it's the Boomer generations at worst risk.

I guess it's one of culling what some might consider to be dead wood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Looks like this virus doesn't really hurt the young much, but worst affected are the old.

Means it's the Boomer generations at worst risk.

 

 

Hmm,

 

That's not really unusual, 'flu is much the same. At the moment the virus gives several indications of, for want of another way of putting it, "accommodating" to the human host. Virus understanding is that the virus evolves like everything else, it has no particularly efficient evolutionary path if it kills its hosts, it is more successful if it can move from host to host easily with minimal disruption to the host. Unfortunately such evolution can take a very long time, especially with a virus that is too aggressive, it has less chance to mutate and thus evolve.

 

Covid19 does not seem to be hugely malignant at all but despite claims otherwise the exact modes of transportation are not clear. For example if it does start appearing in areas where absolutely no contact path can be shown, some of the latest cases begin to look like that, then possibly it is both persistent and airborne.

 

It's unlikely that it has reached that state as yet but the possibility cannot be ignored.

 

I rather hate to say it but the Morrison government may well have done the right thing by moving the country to the status of treating it as a pandemic. What I'm less comfortable about is the shipping of known infected persons to their homes states for care. Not in terms of the intent but the logistical difficulties of getting them there without infecting others along the way.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Looks like this virus doesn't really hurt the young much, but worst affected are the old.

Means it's the Boomer generations at worst risk.

 

Maybe this is the solution to housing affordability?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chrisg said:

 

 

Hmm,

 

That's not really unusual, 'flu is much the same. At the moment the virus gives several indications of, for want of another way of putting it, "accommodating" to the human host. Virus understanding is that the virus evolves like everything else, it has no particularly efficient evolutionary path if it kills its hosts, it is more successful if it can move from host to host easily with minimal disruption to the host. Unfortunately such evolution can take a very long time, especially with a virus that is too aggressive, it has less chance to mutate and thus evolve.

 

Covid19 does not seem to be hugely malignant at all but despite claims otherwise the exact modes of transportation are not clear. For example if it does start appearing in areas where absolutely no contact path can be shown, some of the latest cases begin to look like that, then possibly it is both persistent and airborne.

 

It's unlikely that it has reached that state as yet but the possibility cannot be ignored.

 

I rather hate to say it but the Morrison government may well have done the right thing by moving the country to the status of treating it as a pandemic. What I'm less comfortable about is the shipping of known infected persons to their homes states for care. Not in terms of the intent but the logistical difficulties of getting them there without infecting others along the way.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

 

Nursing homes would a nightmare scenario where say the staff aren't fully trained properly and well it's run at a minimal budget, and takes one staff member with "flu" to take out the residents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes,

 

That's true, we did see at first hand during my mother's last days the rather low limits in terms of health care in an otherwise pretty good nursing home.

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 12:32 PM, Cybes said:

Just found a better infographic - this one includes the Spanish Flu pandemic, and doesn't include the alarmist host.  It's 2 weeks old, though, and in this sort of thing that matters a bit.

 

 

 

i love me a cool visualisation!

 

the part that tracked the viral data was great.  but whilst i appreciate his non-alarmist angle, i didnt much like his specious comparisons to other causes of death.  so much apples to oranges nonsense there i wouldnt know where to begin.

 

lets see how this goes...

 

 

On 2/27/2020 at 8:36 PM, @~thehung said:

...

i was reading something a while ago that claimed people touch their faces 20 times an hour.  seems like an exaggeration.

 

 this seems more plausible: "Alonso and colleagues randomly selected 249 people in public places, on the Washington, D.C. subway and in the Brazilian city of Florianopolis. The researchers observed them, noting how often they touched a common surface and then their mouth or nose. They found that people touched their faces an average of 3.6 times per hour, and common objects an average of 3.3 times per hour."

...

 

via ssar's link above:

 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271647859_Face_touching_A_frequent_habit_that_has_implications_for_hand_hygiene

 

There is limited literature on the frequency of face-touching behavior as a potential vector for the self-inoculation and transmission of Staphylococcus aureus and other common respiratory infections. A behavioral observation study was undertaken involving medical students at the University of New South Wales. Their face-touching behavior was observed via videotape recording. Using standardized scoring sheets, the frequency of hand-to-face contacts with mucosal or nonmucosal areas was tallied and analyzed. On average, each of the 26 observed students touched their face 23 times per hour. Of all face touches, 44% (1,024/2,346) involved contact with a mucous membrane, whereas 56% (1,322/2,346) of contacts involved nonmucosal areas. Of mucous membrane touches observed, 36% (372) involved the mouth, 31% (318) involved the nose, 27% (273) involved the eyes, and 6% (61) were a combination of these regions. Increasing medical students' awareness of their habituated face-touching behavior and improving their understanding of self-inoculation as a route of transmission may help to improve hand hygiene compliance. Hand hygiene programs aiming to improve compliance with before and after patient contact should include a message that mouth and nose touching is a common practice. Hand hygiene is therefore an essential and inexpensive preventive method to break the colonization and transmission cycle associated with self-inoculation. Crown Copyright © 2015. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arg, I have to deal with computers that come in from the Royal Darwin Hospital.

I'm not going to touch the bloody things until they've been sanitized. Yeah some use touchscreens ...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I reckon it was probably one of the first to get it......................but if you don't test for it, you haven't got it, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know someone  else who has gone for a holiday to Bali. Apparently he was urged to reconsider, but he decided there was no need to worry cos Bali wasn't posting cases of infection 😕  Now this person is due back to work next week, in a proximity to my work environment that I'm not entirely comfortable with. I hope he at least has the decency to have a health check before returning to work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a "health check" is completely pointless

 

like tyre kicking, current status doesn't preclude later issues

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, okay. well then he can just bloody have an extended holiday in the privacy of his own home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, eveln said:

I know someone  else who has gone for a holiday to Bali. Apparently he was urged to reconsider, but he decided there was no need to worry cos Bali wasn't posting cases of infection 😕  Now this person is due back to work next week, in a proximity to my work environment that I'm not entirely comfortable with. I hope he at least has the decency to have a health check before returning to work

 

It will take 2 to 4 weeks for symptoms ... if he gets it on day zero there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I confess I'm a bit concerned over visiting my physio end of week, he was planning a couple of weeks in Bali last time I saw him.

 

He's a pretty sensible guy so guess I just have to trust his judgement.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, chrisg said:

 

I confess I'm a bit concerned over visiting my physio end of week, he was planning a couple of weeks in Bali last time I saw him.

 

He's a pretty sensible guy so guess I just have to trust his judgement.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

 

If he says "I've just got a flu", run out of there LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×