Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

14 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

a "health check" is completely pointless

like tyre kicking, current status doesn't preclude later issues

weeelll...its not completely pointless if he goes for a "health check" and for whatever reason gets advised to self isolate or has suspicious enough symptoms to get swabbed. 

incidentally, whats the current status on testing for CoVid-19 in australia?  my understanding is its very impractical/expensive.  if thats correct...would that mean a lag time in which you'd be waiting to rule out the usual suspects from a first round of tests?

2 hours ago, @~thehung said:

weeelll...its not completely pointless if he goes for a "health check" and for whatever reason gets advised to self isolate or has suspicious enough symptoms to get swabbed. 

incidentally, whats the current status on testing for CoVid-19 in australia?  my understanding is its very impractical/expensive.  if thats correct...would that mean a lag time in which you'd be waiting to rule out the usual suspects from a first round of tests?

current info is that the pcr testing (swab for viral rna) is not reliably sensitive, and the "best" diagnostic test is by chest ct

which is pretty worrying given that anyone put through the donut and found positive probably puts the machine and associated imaging practice offline until appropriate decontamination

management is going to be problematic in any case, because any proven suspect that arrives at a general practice will technically contaminate anyone in the waiting area, and immediately render the medicos and office staff up for a two week holiday in quarantine; there won't be enough doctors still available to deal with things that are more likely to kill the regular punters

not to mention contact tracing logistics - we can track patients well enough, but even in our little boutique, a busy day will easily see  > 100 people (patients and their entourage) pass through the doors; and the postie, and the path lab collection couriers, and ....  it's all a bit unworkable

Two places had me sign a declaration that I haven't been to China etc...................answer yes to any of the 20 questions and you don't get in.

That included 'runny nose' and sneezing'.

One a food manufacturer and another a freight forwarder.

7 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

current info is that the pcr testing (swab for viral rna) is not reliably sensitive, and the "best" diagnostic test is by chest ct

which is pretty worrying given that anyone put through the donut and found positive probably puts the machine and associated imaging practice offline until appropriate decontamination

management is going to be problematic in any case, because any proven suspect that arrives at a general practice will technically contaminate anyone in the waiting area, and immediately render the medicos and office staff up for a two week holiday in quarantine; there won't be enough doctors still available to deal with things that are more likely to kill the regular punters

not to mention contact tracing logistics - we can track patients well enough, but even in our little boutique, a busy day will easily see  > 100 people (patients and their entourage) pass through the doors; and the postie, and the path lab collection couriers, and ....  it's all a bit unworkable

there's a woman come in on a flight  few days back from Iran ( I think )  and the manifest is difficult to obtain, but apparently everyone on the flight can be worried about their health now too 😕

We should probably all be stocking up on supplies already . Before none can be supplied

Posted (edited)

as we head towards the colder months, my worry is widespread under reporting.

the young and middle-aged are less likely to have severe symptoms (sort of), and are probably also the most efficient disease vectors.  if they feel they are 'coming down with something', how many will choose to see the doctor at all?  

chances are, youre just getting a mild case of the sniffles.  so unless it gets bad, why would you risk sitting around in a waiting area full of other people who might be there because theyve actually got teh covids?  and if your symptoms do get worse, the chances are still that its an ordinary flu, so why would you risk the same situation but with an immune system that is obviously heavily compromised?

at what point do you phone the clinic for your special biohazard appointment?  only if it gets very very bad.  

in the mean time, hopefully youre not walking around passing out the virus like Oprah giving away cars - "You get some Covids!"..."You get some Covids!"

Edited by @~thehung
  • Like 1

Iran ... why is this spreading so far ... no idea

https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Iranian-Shias-lick-kiss-shrines-in-defiance-of-coronavirus-outbreak-619428

“We consider this holy shrine to be a place of healing. That means people should come here to heal from spiritual and physical diseases,” said cleric Mohammad Saeedi, according to Al Arabiya.
Another video shared on social media shows a man licking the shrine to "take in all the coronavirus."
  • Like 1

See ! ^^^ Now with my tinfoil hat firmly wedged, I'm thinking this whole thing was a dastardly plot to make us all want to turn to Allah.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eveln said:

See ! ^^^ Now with my tinfoil hat firmly wedged, I'm thinking this whole thing was a dastardly plot to make us all want to turn to Allah.

Or God's way to take out the stupid ones ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Or God's way to take out the stupid ones ...

Darwin requires no gods.

22 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-03/coronavirus-ag-flags-rarely-used-biosecurity-powers/12020034

And the government can now activate some draconian quarantine laws.

The S.A. government put such actions up for vote yesterday, apparently they did not appreciate that they already exist in Federal Law.

Realistically they are not at all unreasonable unless a specific person is unreasonable.

However anyone could take a look at the ancient case of Typhoid Mary and understand that people can be very unreasonable.

Cheers

2 hours ago, chrisg said:

Typhoid Mary

Indeed.  I think a lot of people have absolutely no appreciation for contagion, despite being regularly terrorised by massively inaccurate movies.  You'd think if anything could get their alarmism going, that would - it worked for flying, building fires, and shark attacks. 😛

1 hour ago, Cybes said:

Indeed.  I think a lot of people have absolutely no appreciation for contagion, despite being regularly terrorised by massively inaccurate movies.  You'd think if anything could get their alarmism going, that would - it worked for flying, building fires, and shark attacks. 😛

Sharknados too?

17 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Is diarrhea a symptom?

um, not yet , I don't think ... are you suffering it ?

18 minutes ago, eveln said:

um, not yet , I don't think ... are you suffering it ?

No...................but I usually have enough dunny paper to last a couple of weeks..........I don't know why they are hoarding it.

Anyway..........if they stop eating, they won't need any after a while!

Just read ISPs hate the new DNS over HTTPS (DOH) because it messed up their spying on their users

9 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Just read ISPs hate the new DNS over HTTPS (DOH) because it messed up their spying on their users

🙂

Wrong thread ?  🙂

However since you mention it no, ISPs won't like it but mostly because it exposes them to not being able to snoop for ASIO which they can be asked to do.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

No...................but I usually have enough dunny paper to last a couple of weeks..........I don't know why they are hoarding it.

to avoid going to shops that will have more and more potentially infected people in them

to avoid supplies not being available when you suddenly need them for some isolation...because people are hoarding it

suppose youve got a couple of young kids.  one kid, has had some suspicious but minor symptoms and is now recovering well at day 13 of a two week period of isolation.  it was probably an ordinary flu but youve been glad to have avoided going to the shops during this time, since you had three week's supply anyway.  still, you should probably replenish supplies sooner rather than later, maybe tomorrow.  that night, the other kid gets sick.  oh damn, definitely tomorrow then!  next morning, you and your partner both wake up sick.  now youve only got a weeks worth, and shouldnt be going out.  you call a family friend to help you out, Be a dear and run down to Disease Barn to grab us some essentials will ya, and drop them at the door?  but the shelves...are empty.  THE SHELVES ARE EMPTY!!!

Edited by @~thehung
  • Like 1

when the shit hits the fan, paper won't cut it