Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

Posted (edited)

Sorry guys no eating bats in China now! Ban on eating wildlife (even farmed wildlife) in China

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8340725/Wuhan-BANS-eating-wild-animals-five-years.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wuhan-bans-eating-wild-animals-today-coronavirus-drives-china-crackdown-on-wildlife-trade/

You can still eat dog BTW

Edited by Jeruselem

guess there's no more "i feel like pangolin tonite" moments for a while

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

guess there's no more "i feel like pangolin tonite" moments for a while

But that Shih Tzu  stir fry is legal still.

Now the virus seems to be changing, some people reportedly still infectious after over sixty days.

I have a bad feeling about this, could be far from over.

Cheers

19 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I have a bad feeling about this, could be far from over.

i believe it's here to stay

a bit like hiv really - initially a complete disaster, eventually "another viral illness" albeit a serious one, but manageable

• Like 1

Hmm,

Probably right, it seems to be mutating rather quickly, getting accustomed to the human host I suppose. It may eventually become almost benign.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Hmm,

Probably right, it seems to be mutating rather quickly, getting accustomed to the human host I suppose. It may eventually become almost benign.

Cheers

Eventually ... like the human coronaviruses (aka common flu) but that isn't going be instant.

Don't know enough about epidemiology but when a virus kind of washes through a lot of hosts it is supposed to in general both build herd immunity and gradually adapt so that it does not kill the host, or at least not quickly.

There is nothing sentient about it, just survival of the fittest which means it could be a while.

Cheers

3 hours ago, chrisg said:

it seems to be mutating rather quickly

Researchers have been saying exactly the opposite: that it's doing so very slowly - for a corona virus, that is. I think we're probably just discovering more about it.

17 minutes ago, Cybes said:

Researchers have been saying exactly the opposite: that it's doing so very slowly - for a corona virus, that is. I think we're probably just discovering more about it.

It's somewhat difficult to say accurately since we don't see new corona viruses that often plus just when it began to infect humans is still somewhat moot.

There most certainly is still a lot to learn about it, its impact upon any individual unless they are extremely compromised by age or infirmity is almost random or so it seems.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

You can still eat dog BTW

So dog yes, rabbit no?

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2020 at 12:22 PM, eveln said:

Our QLD Premier first hinted we might open our borders in about July ... This morning though she's saying September

I'm liking her more and more.

7 hours ago, chrisg said:

I was first worried when I heard that news; but I'm no scientist.

I read "Over 80 different versions have been recorded" and I thought OH NO!

But their comments were all VERY happy about this... I was confused.

Basically, it showed that there was no mutation in the spike protein, so (so far), all the these mutations use exactly the same hook  to get into the body.

Meaning that any vaccine or antiviral we develop will be effective on all of them.

This is why I'm not an epidemiologist 

Edited by Master_Scythe

🙂

Me very much either but that sounds like a good layman description.

Cheers

They just study the risk, spread, impact, big picture stuff.  I doubt they even have much in the way of medical or biological qualifications, probably more qualified in statistics than those.

Still at the moment, this virus is quite foreign to our immune systems and in some case is the nail the coffin for some people and their pre-existing conditions.

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

They just study the risk, spread, impact, big picture stuff.  I doubt they even have much in the way of medical or biological qualifications, probably more qualified in statistics than those.

all the epidemiologists i know have a medical degree as the first part of their career

but there's more than one way to skin a bat cat https://aea.asn.au/about/epidemiology/how-do-you-become-an-epidemiologist

11 hours ago, Nich... said:

So dog yes, rabbit no?

Dog eat dog.............eat cat too...

Don't eat bat.............it bad for you.

Bon Scott/LogicprObe

• Haha 1

YA speaking about Bats ...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190107131214.htm

Newly discovered Mengla virus is evolutionarily closely related to Ebola virus and Marburg virus and shares several important functional similarities with them. For example, the genome organization of the Menglà virus is consistent with other filoviruses, coding for seven genes. The Menglà virus also uses the same molecular receptor, a protein called NPC1, as Ebola virus and Marburg virus to gain entry into cells and cause infection.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Dog eat dog.............eat cat too...

Don't eat bat.............it bad for you.

Bon Scott/LogicprObe

Brilliant !

14 hours ago, Master_Scythe said:

I'm liking her more and more.

Up here, in the boonies I think the "like" is waning.

Edited by eveln
space

Interesting article on how nations led by women have fared very well in the corona crisis:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/coronavirus-nations-with-female-leaders-winning-covid19-battle/news-story/5742eda471cf8abd4fca2530865986d9

I've actually long believed that women make better political leaders than men, unfortunately Julia here and one could argue Maggie in England put the lie to the belief but as a general rule it holds up well.

Cheers

53 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I've actually long believed that women make better political leaders than men, unfortunately Julia here and one could argue Maggie in England put the lie to the belief but as a general rule it holds up well.

Ah yes, Julia, the PM of a minority Govt.  How could she compare to the great leaders we've had before and since then.

• Like 1

🙂

I never really understood what the hell she was trying to achieve but whatever it was she failed.

I can't say I'm any huge fan of Morrison but I shudder to think what state the country could have been in under Labor when CV hit.

I can however easily imagine Shorten vacillating and hesitating until it was too late.

Cheers

Germany isn't going well.  692 new cases and 43 deaths in the last recording day.  The logical comparisons - going better than the UK and Italy, but almost on par with France though only about 1/3rd the death rate.

Denmark - almost double the number of cases we have here with little over 20% of the population.  Though they seem to be flattening the curve.

Finland - about on par with us but they're a fraction of our population as well and have a much worse death rate.

Taiwan - similar population to ours but few cases.  Supposedly benefiting from previous experience with SARS-1.

Well, if we're talking local politics - IMO the closing of the borders came about a month too late (international).  The Ruby Princess will be remembered as the farce of the century and has probably contributed to over 20% of all cases.

Albanese was actually going OK for a time but has made an utter tonk of himself with the comment on the overestimate of JobKeeper.  It's a pure and simple case of mass error on the part of those filling the form and from what I've seen there's no reason to believe the form design itself was at fault.

The Greens are conspicuous by their lack of commentary... as I predicted:  clueless in a crisis.

Back to Taiwan.  I can't help but think there might be some US/China style creative accounting going on there.  But the same could probably be said for another 100+ countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

Ah yes, Julia, the PM of a minority Govt. 

We were not ready for a female PM. She was vilified for her voice her clothing and then her ability.

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

How could she compare to the great leaders we've had before and since then.

Hah ... true enough I always think of Mr big ears his self Billy McMahon at comparative times like these 

• Like 1