Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
chrisg

The coronavirus conspiracy

I swear, hand on heart, ^^^ that is not me !!

Hughsie and Ed ( radio show on my way home )  were giving a signed roll of toilet paper away tonight as a prize for callers about somesuch topic ...

i was moved to verse (of sorts)  :

Late in the year of 2019

a novel virus hit the scene

and though the birth was a little bit hazy

just a few months later the world's gone batshit crazy

we've been waiting, just waiting, it seems

for apocalyptic times

see the people panic buying

watch them freak at their chance of dying

surely the media isn't lying

as news of the spread goes viral

our crisis is no longer existential

it's here and now and pestilential

watch anxiety go exponential

as the stories start to spiral

like coronavirus r.n.a.

it seems that stuff is here to stay

gonna all get some so they say

before the whole thing goes away

that's a dreadful worry

but if you're not old

or sick

or have other complications

you probably won't die

at least from it

in any hurry

but sorry to confirm, something will eventually kill you regardless

• Like 1

There's a positive! The oil prices dropping due to demand dropping because people are staying more home and less fuel burnt from less international travel.

Fucken poetry's gonna kill me!

Just now, Jeruselem said:

There's a positive! The oil prices dropping due to demand dropping because people are staying more home and less fuel burnt from less international travel.

Winter's coming..........

1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

Fucken poetry's gonna kill me!

Winter's coming..........

🙂

Bloody pessimist !!! 😉

Cheers

The uptake in new cases seems to be accelerating, some poor doctor came up positive after he'd consulted with over 70 patients and Italy is really getting hit.

In addition there is another cruise liner in San Francisco Bay that is in quarantine with identified cases on board. San Fran unilaterally decided to get very strict about quarantine, essentially pandemic rules, a bit over a week ago.

I've spoken to a couple of people who are very close to cancelling travel pans, to, well, most anywhere really after they discovered their travel insurance does not protect them for medical in the event of a declared pandemic.

That may partly explain why WHO has been reluctant to declare a pandemic because it certainly looks like one even if the majority of cases do not suffer the extremes.

Cheers

8 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Sales of Corona beer are up 5% ... LOL

It's all the brainiacs getting some pre-exposure to Corona. 😉

There seems to just be so much that is not really known about the virus yet.

Today a Chinese group, who are according to Western experts a bit suspect, are talking about a second variation of the virus that seems more virulent. That ought to not be the way a mutation moves but in the early stages of accommodating to a new host, humans, all bets are kind of off.

There was a near-forgotten event in the ebola saga when a bunch of chimps, literally in a suburb of Washington, came down with the simian equivalent that is where the evidence suggests human specific ebola jumps from but no one ever took sick - rather stringent protection precautions were taken anyway.

Just as a rather personal example no one seems to know why some people get a very mild infection and others sicken and die or if any preconditions may predispose anyone to a more virulent infection. Being still somewhat breathless I'd kinda like to know that...

It also seems to be the case that kids don't get it much, the very young before their immune systems develop can but there is a band which is conspicuous by not being infected - they can be carriers though.

A lot to uncover and not really a lot of time to do that in. Not that that is unusual, every time a new virus appears there is a mad scrabble.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

conspicuous by not being infected - they can be carriers though

Asymptomatic != Uninfected.

1 minute ago, Cybes said:

Asymptomatic != Uninfected.

Yes,

Just like Typhoid Mary - which is a bit scary, asymptomatic children circulating in the community - kids tend to get a lot of hugs...

Cheers

It's a plot by Gen Xers to bump off all us old bastards to get their grubby little hands on our houses!

4 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

It's a plot by Gen Xers to bump off all us old bastards to get their grubby little hands on our houses!

😉

Gen Xers would be right in the zone to have a survivable encounter, Gen Z...hmm, and I just gave that ankle-biter at the supermarket my Coles Stickee....:)

Cheers

It would probably be a waste of money for anyone over 80 to stock up on Depends!

Ok, it's the Atlantic, which basically thinks Trump and Co. should have been drowned at birth but the inability of the US government to respond to the coranvirus is breathtaking, perhaps literally.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-have-been-tested-coronavirus/607597/

Putting Pence in charge was about as sensible as giving it to Rudi Guiliani, in fact he might have done a better job...

What has me somewhat concerned is just how some nations, such as Costa Rica, can possibly be accurately reporting infections.

The primary test is PCR and not regarded as yet being completely reliable. It is also not exactly a test you do on a basic workbench. Chest X-rays are mostly treated as a good indication but even that seems rather suspect - my lungs have a few scars from various sources, I could tend to believe that a lot of these reports are guess-work - not so much here, our medical services are world class, but other places I depressingly suspect the incidence is being dramatically, if unintentionally under-reported.

Cheers

It's the same in Europe.

Italy seems to have been the only one looking out for it.

A Melbourne doctor in the Toorak area has been diagnosed with the virus. he's recently come back from the States ( no idea whether a straight through flight , probably doesn't matter really ) . He came straight back to work before his contamination was discovered ...

...meanwhile in Sydney a mum and Daughter have fisty-cuffs with another woman over loo paper. The footage shows mum and daughter denying the other woman one multi pack from a whole trolly load !

The doctor apparently came via Sydney, depends if he possibly infected more people, we don't know enough about this virus yet.

He really was a bit dumb, he had what he thought was a minor case of the 'flu, despite growing media about Corona and went on treating patients, including at nursing homes.

I suppose it could become a test case for just how infectious this really is but not exactly the best way to determine that.

Cheers

I'm a bit sus about the test anyway.

It could well be picking up any corona virus like the common cold!

Hence the speculation about different strains already.

14 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

I'm a bit sus about the test anyway.

It could well be picking up any corona virus like the common cold!

Hence the speculation about different strains already.

I seem to have come to doubt just how reliable the test is and therefore how reliable the reporting is.

That's not very good.

What I accept is irrelevant but I was somewhat shocked a couple of hours ago to see at my local Coles that Toilet paper has been stripped and a ration set.

That's just crazy, but symptomatic of a society that believes what it is fed by the media.

Cheers

..Geez...

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/us-hospitals-shockingly-unprepared-for-coronavirus-new-report-reveals/news-story/387c12bbcdcede8a75a3aa2cfcc42165

America seems hugely unprepared, it could well be that travel from there could be restricted in the next couple of weeks.

The airlines are certainly not going to weather that well, in the the end the US is the world's aviation hub.

I don't often say much good about Scomo but he really did do the right thing by pulling the pin early.

Just how well we come through, much too early to tell, but at least we are taking the right steps, the US seems to have fallen flat on its face.

I still don't get the panic toilet paper buying, unless it is as cheap tissue paper but I really don't think the hoarders are thinking that far ahead.

Classic herd panic reaction magnified by the media.

Cheers

8 minutes ago, chrisg said:

..Geez...

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/us-hospitals-shockingly-unprepared-for-coronavirus-new-report-reveals/news-story/387c12bbcdcede8a75a3aa2cfcc42165

America seems hugely unprepared, it could well be that travel from there could be restricted in the next couple of weeks.

The airlines are certainly not going to weather that well, in the the end the US is the world's aviation hub.

I don't often say much good about Scomo but he really did do the right thing by pulling the pin early.

Just how well we come through, much too early to tell, but at least we are taking the right steps, the US seems to have fallen flat on its face.

I still don't get the panic toilet paper buying, unless it is as cheap tissue paper but I really don't think the hoarders are thinking that far ahead.

Classic herd panic reaction magnified by the media.

Cheers

US health system is freaking disaster as it is without a pandemic.