Sign in to follow this  
Mysticizm

re-installing Windows 10 over 7

1. Can i just install Win 10 over Win 7 on SSD? or does SSD require a special way to delete it?

2. Can Win 10 OEM CD be used again? Like a fresh install

3. Can Win 10 OEM CD be used on 2 different computers? Probably not.

Mum's PC has a virus that i cant get rid of, its called onesearch.org and its over-taken all the web certificates so there's no internet. Cant update to the free win 10 anyway since her Win 7 is pirated

1. Yes you can install Win10 over a current Win7 install. Win10 can delete current partitions

2. Yes - you can use it on any PC

3. Yes - you can use it on any PC

Please note the DVD install must match the BIOS - MBR/BIOS or UEFI (modern).

Oh yes, and if the CPU doesn't support x86-64 (or AMD64) you have to use x86 version.

PS - If the PC has Windows 10 license in the UEFI BIOS, Windows 10 will pick that up.

Edited by Jeruselem

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Please note the DVD install must match the BIOS - MBR/BIOS or UEFI (modern).

So hers says UEFI p1.60, so i just choose that while installing?

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

and if the CPU doesn't support x86-64 (or AMD64) you have to use x86 version.

Hers is an Intel Pentium G3220, do you know if that supports 64?

Thanks for the replies

Edited by Mysticizm

You can use the OEM  DVD on a million computers.............but you'll need  a licence for each of them.

Personally, I'd stick with Win 7.

If you have a bunch of windows 7 systems with keys just download windows 10 from microsoft and stick it on a USB stick https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

That way you will have less updates to install than if you used a old DVD

Then when installing windows 10 you can format the drive which will wipe all data on the old PC and use the windows 7 key from each system to activate windows 10.

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mysticizm said:

So hers says UEFI p1.60, so i just choose that while installing?

Hers is an Intel Pentium G3220, do you know if that supports 64?

Thanks for the replies

OK that's a modern-ish UEFI system so a UEFI install should work and that CPU does support x64. so x64 install is good.

That CPU has two cores, so it's never going be very fast with Windows 10.

Edited by Jeruselem

I can't dl win 10 to USB cause her win 7 is pirated. Plus it has a virus which is preventing internet connections. Something about certificates missing, and it defaults home as oneserch.org which I'm guessing is the virus.

Will win 10 be very slow on hers or acceptable?

Edited by Mysticizm

On any given machine Win10 will be slower.

I put it onto an SSD on an Atom equipped mini laptop and it was near unbearable where Win7 is tolerable.

You can get Windows ISOs using the utility from this site https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

I use Rufus to produce the bootable USB flashdrive.  Use MBR/BIOS for older machines and GPT/UEFI to make installers for newer machines.  NTFS file system for both.

They're beyond version 3 now... I prefer the older version 2.18 myself.

https://rufus.ie/

Proper Win 7 is cheap now.........that 'virus' would be something she has accepted..............nothing protects against that.

8 hours ago, Mysticizm said:

I can't dl win 10 to USB cause her win 7 is pirated. Plus it has a virus which is preventing internet connections. Something about certificates missing, and it defaults home as oneserch.org which I'm guessing is the virus.

Will win 10 be very slow on hers or acceptable?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Windows-7-Ultimate-Multilanguage-32-64bit-ESD-Original-100/372871790869?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225660%26meid%3D89f9ca2de9794e1cb28203d0ce9866ef%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D264643855687%26itm%3D372871790869%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWeb%26brand%3DMicrosoft&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

You can use windows 10 for free without registering it you just have some very minor limitations but it sounds like windows 7 may be better suited.

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

That CPU wouldn't be entirely shabby.  G3220 is 3 GHz but just dual-core.  Roughly equivalent to what a midrange laptop would have.   The Pentiums are lower end but based on the Core i, and generally just have less cache, lower spec graphics and other omissions like fewer mult/turbo options, less or no virtualisation and hyperthreading.

You can run Windows 10 without a key indeed, it's kinda almost free these days.

Edited by Jeruselem

The biggest loss is inability to choose which notification icons are hidden which I imagine is a bunch of registry stuff though probably not straightforward.

Customisation stuff.  Wallpaper right-click option is still there.

I still paid for the 2 I'm running though it cost me like 4 bucks a pop.