eveln

The latest ... " Tradwives "

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-24/tradwives-women-say-the-movement-is-empowering-not-oppressive/11960910

" Tradwives have been labelled 'subservient', but these women reject suggestions they're oppressed "

So there's more in the link. I found it this morning and thought it might be interesting to put in here. Not sure whether someon is taking the mickey here, ( I mean April Fools day is not yet ) or whether it's a serious thing ...

I don't know what you expect me to say. There have been this sort of person around for as long as I've been alive - they've just given themselves a new name.

I guess some women just prefer to have that sort of lifestyle - it's certainly not for me, I'm a little bit too obstinate lol.  Each to their own.

Edited by DEVERE

i think the gist of it is that some females are content to be the home-maker and leave men get on with doing paid work

one thing feminists seem to ignore is that there are plenty of males who would be happy to do the role reversal and be the "tradhomeperson"

paid work (as in being the "breadwinner" for a family isn't as fabulous as liberation seems to presume; it's just a different burden

51 minutes ago, TheManFromPOST said:

As long as she brings me my pipe and scotch , I'm happy 

The health kick you should be on will see you with a glass of green stuff and a carrot stick... So am guessing you won't be happy 😛

I was hoping " tradperson" would take a little longer to appear.

Aren't' we all tradpersons anyway ?

Edited by eveln
Spacing

Well someone has to do the work. One chooses to do it at home which means the other has to get money from outside the home. But you know, these days I reckon a few of the tradwives are making money from home too, also, as well. 'cept I doubt it's taking in laundry.

@Jeruselem, anyone that does house work is then a handmaiden, yes ?

🙂

I've not worked in a traditional sense for over a decade, never intend to again. Work is everywhere if you go looking for it and work from home opportunities grow by the day.

Cheers

A family is a micro economy. You need to complete work around the home, and procure assets and consumable resources. Domestic work saves money by either performing your own work, partially/fully manufacturing, and reducing procurement costs. Exporting your labour creates money that allows you to import work and materials.

Some economies are heavily dependent on large scale export and import (multiple income, and use childcare and hire tradies for everything), others have a strong domestic capacity, and use less imports/exports (the off grid option). They suit different personalities, whatever floats your goat as a team, not for me to judge.

Once it moves away from a team effort with mutually agreed roles, into something less equal, I'm worried about fair consent, and the person in a subservient position being fully aware of what they are consenting to.

The critical element is equal share in the joint economy, so that should it need to be dissolved, each party can go their own way and start again fairly - noting that it is still difficult to switch systems.

you need to have the economic freedom to  permit either party to leave one family unit and fulfill a similar role in a new family unit, so you maintain self determination.

A home maker with no formal training has chosen a path that most likely excludes transition to a high income career. In the same way that a high income white collar bread winner probably will be ill-equipped to transition to an efficient homemaker role. Assuming everyone has freedom to change their role completely is a fallacy.

• Like 1

I suppose you can't really say you are offering women the option to have a career instead of this sort of life if you want to then take this option away from them. If that was the case you are just telling them how to live their lives again by telling them that a different way of life is what they should want.

• Like 1