Jump to content
Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Pet Peeves !

Recommended Posts

🙂

 

Kids can do some incredibly daft things.

 

Had a boss years ago who had a very nice whale tail Porsche 911. Caught his young son running from the sandpit up the bonnet and using the tail as a slide... No I can't picture it either but the insurance company did come to the party and not just respray but bake the car.

 

Hate to have seen his premiums following year  🙂

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chrisg said:

You CAN get lucky with the rice trick, especially if it is a sealed unit which most are now, but no guarantees.

 

luck is the word, because rice is actually a fairly crappy desiccant which blocks the air flow necessary to aid the most efficient method of drying: evaporation.

 

air heater at a safe distance and maybe a bed of rock salt is WAY better.

 

 

Edited by @~thehung

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, could be, however usually the damage is done quickly.

 

Rice is just a case of grabbing what is to hand.

 

It's worked once for me, of three tries  🙂

 

Cheers (Only one was my phone and no, it did not work for that one.)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fliptopia said:

 

I can more discretely check a watch and I'm more likely to feel it's vibration than the phone in my pocket when I get a call. 

 

Most of my working life has been timed based so I just know either what time it is or how long has elapsed since a certain point in time.

Same as direction. I just know which way to go.

On that point, on travelling to the northern hemisphere, I was completely discombobulated and had no idea of direction except for East and West.

Upon returning downunder, it took the best part of a year for my directions to become fully functional again.

 

Weird, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be tempted to sacrifice an old phone for the cause...

but really, why would fresh water bother anything beside electrical conacts (battery, SIM, SD, other connectors) and the display panel?

 

Best method would be to pull the phone apart ASAP though of course beyond most people.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2020 at 10:21 PM, Rybags said:

I'd be tempted to sacrifice an old phone for the cause...

but really, why would fresh water bother anything beside electrical conacts (battery, SIM, SD, other connectors) and the display panel?

 

Best method would be to pull the phone apart ASAP though of course beyond most people.

 

Most electronic equipment is washed in water................it's only a problem if power is applied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

😉

 

 That is de-mineralised water, but point holds, pure water is actually not a very good conductor at all.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only really wear one pair of earrings at any given time, and they stay in my ears until I lose one. They get washed in the shower with me each day 😄

 

True story on the subject of phone washes.

 

I was cleaning a clients bathroom and after I'd finished I'd forgotten my phone in there. I went back for it and it was gone. I asked the client's 6yo daughter if she'd hidden it and she giggled, saying I should guess where she put it. After a bit of a search I asked her to tell me and she said it was in the toilet. I thought she was joking, but she wasn't. It was only half submerged but I can report that my Samsung S7 survived with no ill effect and Miss 7 got a stern talking to from her parents, who were rather mortified.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SacrificialNewt said:

I only really wear one pair of earrings at any given time, and they stay in my ears until I lose one. They get washed in the shower with me each day

Okay.

So, if they're a hoop then  there is a chance they're clean enough. If they're a stud, then you might just be surprised at the dirt that doesn't get washed clean in the shower .

 

also lucky on the phone bizo :) ... i washed a samsung of Walt's a few years back ( entirely his fault ) it worked afterwards, but never with quite the same alacrity as before it's wash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, eveln said:

Okay.

So, if they're a hoop then  there is a chance they're clean enough. If they're a stud, then you might just be surprised at the dirt that doesn't get washed clean in the shower .

 

also lucky on the phone bizo 🙂 ... i washed a samsung of Walt's a few years back ( entirely his fault ) it worked afterwards, but never with quite the same alacrity as before it's wash

 

They're huggie hoops and when I pull them out nothing is ever stuck to them, unlike studs I've worn in the distant past. They do get a little gross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SacrificialNewt said:

unlike studs I've worn in the distant past. They do get a little gross.

ohh yeah, ditto on that history ...  * shudders *

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×