Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Pet Peeves !

Following is my current peeve...

Wash your jewellery !!!

Seriously. Most of us will strive to wear clean clothes, wash our bodies at least once a day. And then put on jewellery . Sure we usually do this through habit and or sentiment. But ffs why put dirty things on to a just washed body ??

It makes no sense what so ever.

It's not that hard to do - okay, if it's silver you may need the right cleaning product, but for most other metals, hot water and detergent and methylated spirits will do the job really well.

Seriously dull dirty jewellery is not appealling to any one and it feels nasty on the skin too.

Hey!  I wash my jewelry every day, sometimes for longer than others.

Oh, OK.  THAT kind of jewelry.

Mine - I was about to put into WOMM.

Body language 101 - if you see someone walking around a shop or shopping centre with their hands behind their back, usually one hand clasping the wrist of the other.  And usually a male over 60.

He has absolutely no intention of buying anything.  In fact barely even browsing.  He's probably waiting for his wife (who's likely in a post office queue or a completely different shop).  And while doing so, taking great pleasure in getting in the fucking way of everyone who's trying to just go about their business and get out of there.

• Like 1

cant say ive ever washed a piece of jewelry (<-- huh, never knew that was american spelling)

how would this be something you would notice often enough for it to become a pet peeve?  who is walking around with leftover burrito sauce clinging to their broach?

Edited by @~thehung

12 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

how would this be something you would notice often enough for it to become a pet peeve?

I notice people's jewellery . It's part of what I do . When I see a person's hand /s, neck and or wrists with their obviously favourite pieces adorned, and their dull and almost brown ( gold can do this ) and the stones are barely readable it just does my head in.

As for the burrito encrusted brooch, no, I've not seen in person,  a brooch worn for ages and definitely not a burritoed one . Somehow I don't really see a wearer of brooches eating burritos, but then that might just be my take on it

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

...taking great pleasure in getting in the fucking way of everyone who's trying to just go about their business and get out of there.

Yeah no, I reckon it's more a case of you and your needs just don't exist. 😉

Edited by eveln

so i guess its more about tarnish than 'dirt' or bad hygiene then.

theres some stuff that looks cool with a patina though.

have you every used one of those ultrasonic cleaners?  ive always wondered if they are practical.

8 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

so i guess its more about tarnish than 'dirt' or bad hygiene then.

If it's just metal and links are involved, then it's about tarnish and the god-awful crud that builds up over time in the links. And that crud is more often than not body excrement.

It just looks rank imo. And if you are gonna spend money buying nice things then bloody look after them. You wouldn't allow your monitors, keyboards and other things to become so encrusted nothing works properly would you ?

theres some stuff that looks cool with a patina though.

maybe, but the next time you see some have a closer look

have you every used one of those ultrasonic cleaners?  ive always wondered if they are practical.

sure if you've got one. if not it doesn't matter so much.

33 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Logicpr0be needs a good washing!

FTFY :P~

I'm serious here ! It's disgusting and well it's just not at all cool !

I've seen small ultrasonic cleaners and sort of wanted to grab one for the electronics/gadget cleaning side of things... though no usage case really to justify it.

@fliptopia well a watch is generally worn on the arm, unless your a nurse type  and pin it to your breast or wear a hunter on a fob chain ( but still that hunter and chain would need cleaning too )

The grimey crud that builds up in between the links in the watch bracelet and around the seals of the watch is disgusting too ya know 🙂

3 minutes ago, Rybags said:

I've seen small ultrasonic cleaners and sort of wanted to grab one for the electronics/gadget cleaning side of things... though no usage case really to justify it.

It's a gadget that works, but it's not essential. Jewelers use 'em cos it saves lots of time when they can be doing other shit. But for personal cleaning  * shrugs *

Edited by eveln

Chemical cleaners cost potentially a lot over the life of the jewelery + can damage some surfaces.  Though don't the ultrasonic ones involve chemical use too?  Or just distilled water?

46 minutes ago, eveln said:

The grimey crud that builds up in between the links in the watch bracelet and around the seals of the watch is disgusting too ya know 🙂

Yeah, that's why I wash mine. Especially after exercise. 

• Like 1

🙂

Doctors probably do not.

I do.

I wear a couple of rings, a bracelet, an all metal watch and two neck chains.

Most of it is for purely personal reasons, the watch is more a case of traditionalism I guess.

I do keep it all clean, it's entirely silver so a simple cloth is fine although my watch is waterproof so I just wash it.

Silver doesn't tarnish much but it looks better clean  🙂

Cheers

I still have a few rings, chains, and watches left over from my 20s.  I can't stand to wear any of 'em since then. 😕   Can't handle tight/clingy clothing, either.

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

Chemical cleaners cost potentially a lot over the life of the jewelery + can damage some surfaces.  Though don't the ultrasonic ones involve chemical use too?  Or just distilled water?

you can put what ever chemical you want in the sonic. When I used one we used to just use detergent and metho with water . Others use stronger chemicals but it's really not necessary imo. Commercial cleaners can break down the metal over time I believe.

But I am very old school basic. Apart from silver cleaning paste, and brasso ( for brass )  I don't use the others.

edit: washing up detergent and metho will only clean the grime it won't hurt the metal or most stones. and can be rinsed clean which is the whole point of it all. Clean stuff feels good to wear. It also helps to protect the longevity of the piece.

It's the same theory for looking after anything that you might care about. It's being respectful of the work

Edited by eveln

6 hours ago, Rybags said:

Usually just warm water with a drop of dishwashing liquid.

7 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I don't get jewellery anyway. Except maybe watches. 

People always gave them to me but I can't stand stuff on my arms.

I don't get them anyway since we nearly always have a mobile phone with us.

1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

People always gave them to me but I can't stand stuff on my arms.

I don't get them anyway since we nearly always have a mobile phone with us.

I can more discretely check a watch and I'm more likely to feel it's vibration than the phone in my pocket when I get a call. 

I recently washed my phone. Accidentally. It's not waterproof at all.  :(

Does that count as jewellery...

• Sad 2

48 minutes ago, hulkster said:

I recently washed my phone. Accidentally. It's not waterproof at all.  😞

Unless packing it rice works a miracle over the next day or so, it counts as a shiny rock.

Yeah, so sorry hulkster, but I think Cybes has a point.

At least it's cleaner now.

5 hours ago, hulkster said:

I recently washed my phone. Accidentally. It's not waterproof at all.  😞

dropping it in a toilet is not "washing"

🙂

It is the commonest way phones take a bath yet people persist in sticking them in their back pockets.

You CAN get lucky with the rice trick, especially if it is a sealed unit which most are now, but no guarantees.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

It is the commonest way phones take a bath yet people persist in sticking them in their back pockets.

You CAN get lucky with the rice trick, especially if it is a sealed unit which most are now, but no guarantees.

Cheers

A workmate had his phone washed by one of his kids after it got dirty ... yes, he had to get a new one.