Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DEVERE

Playing Pioneers - Gone Campin'

Posted (edited)

West Australian Labour Day Long Weekend  2 March camping trip on the menu.

We have long preferred bush camping over beach camping and, hey - isn’t this exactly why we have 4WD’s?  Hubby & I are loving the pioneering history of the area - but wow, these guys really did it tough in the early days.  Middle of literal bumfuck nowhere - donkey / camel / horse tracks…. 3 days hard walk from “civilisation” at Israelite Bay Telegraph Station (which actually came after most of these homesteads were settled) and about a week from Esperance townsite.

Where to? Originally Booanya Rock but with sunset about 45 minutes away, after we missed out turn off we finally found the turn off to Nanambinia Station and out of need we stayed there for the night. The 500,000 acre scrub / desert home of Heinrich & Topsy Dimer settled in 1896.   It’s a few km off the beaten track and if you don’t know where to look for the scrub track turn off, you simply won’t find it.  The walls are close to 2 feet thick made from local granite - the stove is to die for…. I bet old Topsy cooked up some wicked feeds in it and I couldn’t help but want to bake bread and a roast in it.  Topsy’s wedding dress still graces the back of the master bedroom door.  A full orchard and poultry pen are a short wander up the hill to the natural water catchment and dam amongst the granite rocks… and the shearing shed is a short walk in the opposite direction - while it’s fallen down you can clearly see the sheep yards and where the shearing was done.

yHYEuwm.jpguGD7xDU.jpghnjA8Tl.jpgwYHOfQ8.jpgiYKKadB.jpg

By 9am the next morning we were packed up and ready to backtrack to find the correct turn off to Booanya.. again not marked, but found by odometer readings and a “mud map”.  An 8km camel track through the bush and suddenly we found the rock.  A massive granite rounded dome discovered in 1879 and the homestead being built in 1908 by George Trott  There is a natural “car port” under the massive dome that was used by a Mrs Amy Crocker for her T Model Ford.

There is natural water catchments again in the granite outcrops and a dam built about 200m from the homestead with many game trails used by horse, camel, goat and kangaroo with a few wild dogs in the area.  Even with the misty rain falling, we had a blast exploring and learning about our own back yard. (Please note the "obligatory" lamb flap cooking over the coals haha)

8OEKYi6.jpgkVGcmC4.jpgsirwjij.jpgaLNWncN.jpgahPc8KG.jpgCAzCUwG.jpg1BY5qFB.jpgievXNsm.jpg

Map of the general area.

VEDVFfG.jpg

By 9am the next morning we had again packed up everything ready for the homeward trip with a few other stops on the way.  Crockers Dam, 7km to the south & west, was on the list and while it is a beautiful area, the dam was full of dead camel - we had assumed they’d been shot and we left the area.

We made a final stop at the old Derralinya homestead where we often stay on our weekend camping trips because it has water, shelter and most importantly - a long drop dunny.  The homestead was built in 1890 and has been restored over the years, but coming within inches of being lost during the recent Western Woodlands fires - so close that the wooden upright posts on the front verandah needed replacing.

TL;DR? Went bush, almost got lost, car is muddy and filthy, had a blast.

Get out amongst it guys - there’s some ripper history out there! 

Edited by DEVERE
  • Like 1

🙂

Nothing like taking a trip outback, especially in an area most Australians do not even know of - glad you had fun !!   🙂

Cheers

• Like 1

Some nice historic stuff there.

I went glamping from Saturday to yesterday (tent in van park with amenities).

They're doing offers to boost the local economy after the fires so I got 4 nights for the price of 3.

But the rain rolled in and I decided yesterday to leave early.

Turned out to be a good call - the rain started when I was about 25km homeward, and from the weatherzone site it started to register at Moruya airport (about 8km from where I was) about 20 minutes after I left.

If I'd have stayed until packing up around 9am as the usual I'd have been packing a very wet tent away - they had 5.4mm in the 24 hours to 9am today and it must have pissed down from about 9:30 as the new recording period saw it go from 0-5.4mm in the first hour to 10am.  As of 4pm they've recorded 36.6mm.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DEVERE said:

West Australian Labour Day Long Weekend  2 March camping trip on the menu.

When I was working in Kambalda in the late 1970s some friends and I spent the odd weekend at what is now called cave hill nature reserve ( 50 kilometres south-west of Widgiemooltha).

Apparently it now has picnic tables, barbecues and toilets. When we where there, absolutely no infrastructure. Spent quite a few enjoyable hours catching freshwater yabbies in the dams then cooking up a good feed of them. Yummo.

According to

https://www.exploroz.com/places/61740/wa+cave-hill

it's 4wd access only yet back then we had no issues getting in in a 2WD Mini Moke.

Oops meant to say looks like you had a fun trip.

🙂

47 minutes ago, Rybags said:

As of 4pm they've recorded 36.6mm.

That's a pretty good fall of rain.

Edited by aliali

Really glad you had a blaast of a weekend . That waterhole with the camels,  yukky-poos !! need a tub of vicks vapour rub firmly wedged under your nose for that one.

I refuse to camp.

I will go see places always but I will not intentionally 'rough it' for any one.

I wish I was doing your trip instead of the caravan park I'm in right now. At least we're in a tent.... But that sounds like a good way to get away from things and get an appreciation for how easy we really have it these days. 

• Like 1

I last did the proper camping (though still a tent) probably about 18 months ago.

At the back of someone's small farm, probably ~ 300 metres from any other people with no nearby facilities.

Bath was by boiling water from a nearby creek.  It's a pretty good way to do it and you can get clean using a cup to pour it over you while soaped up and you only need about 4 litres, you only need to boil about 1/4 of that.

Posted (edited)

lol. last time I did intentionally 'rough it' was at a camping ground somewhere near Humpty Doo and a billabong. I've successfully wiped the heat and ants and flies suffered and now only have vague memories of swimming in the billabong and as we were young twenties, a fair amount of partying went along with it too ... which likely explains memory loss

Edited by eveln

19 hours ago, aliali said:

When I was working in Kambalda in the late 1970s some friends and I spent the odd weekend at what is now called cave hill nature reserve ( 50 kilometres south-west of Widgiemooltha).

Apparently it now has picnic tables, barbecues and toilets. When we where there, absolutely no infrastructure. Spent quite a few enjoyable hours catching freshwater yabbies in the dams then cooking up a good feed of them. Yummo.

According to

https://www.exploroz.com/places/61740/wa+cave-hill

it's 4wd access only yet back then we had no issues getting in in a 2WD Mini Moke.

I've not been to Cave Hill yet - we've been 3 times now and there's still a lot more to explore down Parmango & Balladonia Roads but with long weekends getting few & far between and winter coming on a-pace we probably have one trip left before summer hits again... the road is literally impassable when its wet.. no matter how good your 4by.  Plenty of yabbies around Deralinya Homestead - came home with an esky full last time lol.

DP0A8FM.jpg

Inside me I have an exploring spirit, I'd love to pack up the car and drive into the outback for weeks.

I can barely afford to live by myself in my 2-br flat.

I'd love to take a drive for 12-15hrs out of the city, I love the open road.

I've done the brisbane to cairns both ways, and brisbane to canberra (with a stop-over in Newcastle)

I've done the brisbane to newcastle quite a few times

but, none of these were "holidays" 😞

I'm planning a trip from brisbane to St George /  Dirranbandi / Lightning Ridge hopefully sometime this year.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, eveln said:

Really glad you had a blaast of a weekend . That waterhole with the camels,  yukky-poos !! need a tub of vicks vapour rub firmly wedged under your nose for that one.

I refuse to camp.

I will go see places always but I will not intentionally 'rough it' for any one.

The camel were well past stinky lol.... funny thing about camping - you spends thou$ands to live like a homeless person and a mattress on the tent floor ain't as comfy as it used to be haha.  Getting older sucks.

19 hours ago, Rybags said:

I last did the proper camping (though still a tent) probably about 18 months ago.

At the back of someone's small farm, probably ~ 300 metres from any other people with no nearby facilities.

Bath was by boiling water from a nearby creek.  It's a pretty good way to do it and you can get clean using a cup to pour it over you while soaped up and you only need about 4 litres, you only need to boil about 1/4 of that.

We upgraded and bought a solar shower... which turned out to be next to useless with heavy cloud cover all day (we ended up sitting it near the camp fire to at least take the chill off it and even so it was still a SUPER quick chilly wash) and then the  handle broke off so we couldn't hang it from a tree and had to sit it on top of my spare tyre and have a squat shower lol.

Edited by DEVERE
Spellink

3 hours ago, DEVERE said:

.... funny thing about camping - you spends thou$ands to live like a homeless person and a mattress on the tent floor ain't as comfy as it used to be haha.  Getting older sucks.

Yep. All our holidays were camping hols in the winter months. So uneven ground surface was not top of the hate list, cold, wet, windy usually topped it . I didn't mind the body washes with a bucket and a washer, it was either going without them or having to swim in water like the crazy Russians and Nordic folk do that made me want to cry a bit ;)  That was all horrid family memories. Generally as a wayward adult out of the family unit I avoided any suggestion of camping, apart from that one time at Humpty Doo.

I've got 2 of those solar showers - just the cheap ones that are normally $18 at Supercheap Auto or BCF - paid I think 6 bucks for both at a Salvo shop.

Haven't had opportunity to try them out yet.

IMHO, "roughing it" means the hotel has less than 4 stars. 😜

5 minutes ago, Cybes said:

IMHO, "roughing it" means the hotel has less than 4 stars. 😜

I know a lot of hotel staff, some of  the stories I hear from them would make you cringe. Camping  could be waaay more hygienic than staying in a 4 - 5 star hotel.

3 minutes ago, eveln said:

I know a lot of hotel staff, some of  the stories I hear from them would make you cringe. Camping  could be waaay more hygienic than staying in a 4 - 5 star hotel.

Hygeine an comfort are not the same thing. 😜

But yes, people can be disgusting. Doesn't help that the rooms are just made to look nice, not actually clean. That would involve chemicals. And maybe a UVC blacklight. And probably workers comp claims from idiots who decide to look at the pretty blue light.

1 minute ago, Cybes said:

Hygeine an comfort are not the same thing.

mmm. I have a supremely comfortable bed, but I don't, and I know, I won't feel comfortable on it if I know the sheets need changing.  So for me hygiene and comfort work in unison

31 minutes ago, eveln said:

I won't feel comfortable on it if I know the sheets need changing.

Yes, but what is "need" in this instance? Unless you change the bedware every time you sleep in them (and vacuum the mattress) you're still accepting some level of contamination. What's different is that it's yours.

7 hours ago, Cybes said:
8 hours ago, eveln said:

I won't feel comfortable on it if I know the sheets need changing.

Yes, but what is "need" in this instance? Unless you change the bedware every time you sleep in them (and vacuum the mattress) you're still accepting some level of contamination. What's different is that it's yours.

I can only tolerate my own contamination for a short period of time. And that's the thing, isn't it ? not knowing what the dirt is, is uncomfortable for me 😉

3 hours ago, eveln said:

I can only tolerate my own contamination for a short period of time. And that's the thing, isn't it ? not knowing what the dirt is, is uncomfortable for me 😉

Mmm I'm a little bit the same - but providing I can at least wash my face, feet and my "bits" I can deal with it for a day or two. All my camping bedding is washed (and I put sanitiser in EVERY load of washing I do - simply because I find it gets rid of the smell of meat from my butchering job) and then put into those big vacuum seal bags, so I know my bedding is clean and germ free for next time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEVERE said:

Mmm I'm a little bit the same - but providing I can at least wash my face, feet and my "bits" I can deal with it for a day or two. All my camping bedding is washed (and I put sanitiser in EVERY load of washing I do - simply because I find it gets rid of the smell of meat from my butchering job) and then put into those big vacuum seal bags, so I know my bedding is clean and germ free for next time.

Ditto 

Except I don't do the vacuum seal. I do pack things away, obviously. More prone to washing and airing before use. There are no impromptu camping trips for this household 😉

don't want to burst your hygienic bubble, but sanitisers are not panacea

and any germs that infect you will most certainly not be from washed bed clothes unless the load wasn't properly done, and came off the bed used by some festering individual

let's all hear it germs .... are .... everywhere

and most surely they are not intent on causing infection, they are just doing germ stuff - infection is an accidental thing, like getting off at the wrong bus stop

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

and any germs that infect you will most certainly not be from washed bed clothes unless the load wasn't properly done, and came off the bed used by some festering individual

let's all hear it germs .... are .... everywhere

and most surely they are not intent on causing infection, they are just doing germ stuff - infection is an accidental thing, like getting off at the wrong bus stop

🙂

Yeah the worst thing anyone can really do is to get over-hygienic, normal measures sure, but if you do not let your immune system out to play it will go to sleep and be of no use to you when a bug  actually out to make you sick comes along.

That's sort of the premise of vaccination and being it WAS getting close to totally eradicating a lot of old scourges before the anti-vaxxers fucked it up I tend to think it works.

Case in point, had not seen Whooping Cough in my entire adult life, I was vaccinated young, late last year my brother-in-law had it - turns out he'd missed the vaccination.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

Well scruffy1, we are both referring to our own goods and homes, so.... you know, um,we know... Now, I am assuming there 're DEVERE, in this instance I feel it's a safe bet to assume

Edited by eveln
  • Like 1

Umm yeah - they're my own bedclothes etc so uh huh they're not going to be coated in someone else's germs.