Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
g__day

High end rig can't see network or internet- invalid IP addresses

HINfolks,

After lunch today my high end workstation stopped connecting to our router or switch giving an invalid IP notification . Sure enough it had a 169.254 address instead of a 192.168.0. address. I tried the usual ipconfig /release renew, flush DNS, winsoc ip clear, changing cables and router and the switch ports, swapping cable into a new motherboard gigabit network port – then deleting the Ethernet devices and reinstalling them, then a system restore to yesterday's configuration.

No joy at all, might buy a pcie gigabit Ethernet card tomorrow. Are there any other tests or restore options I could try? Windows troubleshooter also couldn't sort it. Hard coding the ip, subnet, gateway and DNS servers also didn't let it see the network or the router.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 X299 with dual gigabit Ethernet slots onboard that have worked brilliantly for several years. Tried rebooting multiple times and reset router and even tried connecting wirelessly. Everything else in the house works fine – just my main pcs network ports stopped working around 1pm today.

Many thanks,

Matthew

Matthew

Posted (edited)

Network ports on motherboards do die.

I see you've tried everything else.

Boot up with a Linux live CD and see if that works and NIC works.

We had a case where we had to re-install Windows to fix that issue.

Edited by Jeruselem

Wifi failed too?

Believe it or not, often the built in Troubleshooter will be able to fix such problems.

Often it fixes things - not this time though, not enough diagnostics to know what is wrong. Ponder if a driver got corrupted and the OS doesn't understand this?

Have you installed any sort of firewalls or new security software?

Maybe see if System Restore offers some recent points.  Almost like some dodgy update got in and fuxored things.

Another thing might be AV but generally it's effects are more high level like certificates.

No new firewalls or virus protection - but will look at avast a bit more precisely next.

system restore didn't work, added a new network card - it didn't work either.

Wonder if Avast premium did something strange when I went for lunch that stuffed the network beyond belief...

Added a new network card - no joy! 

However -solved the problem a few minutes ago - it was Avast Premium - virus and firewall must have updated over lunchtime and got itself totally stuffed!  Turning off all shields allowed connectivity to return - which allowed the Avast update to work correctly.

Stupid Avast!

• Like 1

Bugger.  Normally Avast is really good.  But like many AVs can get it's knackers in a knot if you don't let it update and sometimes when it does have an update.

Not long ago I had certificate errors everywhere and I blamed the Firefox update so rolled back for no effect.  Did the Avast updates and it fixed it.

And the update silently fixes the bug and nobody is the wiser!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Avast generally does a pretty decent job – but once or year or so it can go totally bonkers – and it's hard to detect that it is the cause of all your problems.

After literally trying everything – I just got creative and thought it is probably a corrupted software issue – what can block an operating systems repair and re-install drivers capability? I could think of only one thing with this potential – a corrupted Anti-virus update.

Sure enough that is what most likely happened. I went to lunch – Avast tried to update it self but failed part way through, and left he network unreachable under its command. Worst Avast gave no avert notice it got itself muddled. Buried deep in its control pages was a check to update it – showing a release available but not yet applied. Try to execute this release failed because it itself blocked all IP addresses without revealing that it had. Turn off all shield and firewall rules and everything worked fine. Tried re-run the virus engine update and it went fine – rebooted and then everything back to normal.

Glad that was sorted as the next step was likely a re-build / re-install of Windows 10 – a major pain in the arse!

Yeah, the usual trouble AV causes is stopping uninstalls and that's usually a Nortons thing.

I'm fairly sure in probably 6 years of using Avast the certificate thing is the only major inconvenience I've had from it.

• Thanks 1