Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Nich...

MacOS on VMWare (on AMD)

It took most of two days trawling and trying a few things and scratching my head, but I found https://amd-vm.hackintosh-guides.ml/ to be about the easiest guide to follow, with not too much guessing to work around some of the pitfalls.

I feel a little uneasy grabbing install media from people rather than getting it straight from Apple and making the changes I need, but I guess it's a learning process.

Anyway, at least now I have a Mojave Mac I can play around with and learn how to use for work.

I've not got into that due to having several working MBPs here (and they generally spend 95+% of their time in Windows).

They try and make it hard but luckily there's hackers out there that produce patchers and workarounds for installers.  Such as allowing modern versions of MacOS to work on older machines though sometimes with loss of drivers.

I've got multiple MacOS installers here and they generally hide the older ones or remove them completely.

Another pitfall is that some of the installers have certificates that expire - a workaround there could be to set the clock back in time temporarily.

The Mojave one is based on a build that has the certificate expiry issue, so yeah, at one point during it you have to change the date and time.  The guide suggests just disabling it in the VM software at that point, but I just disabled the virtual NIC full stop until I needed it during the setup rather than install process.

The big issue for the AMD builds seems to be the kernal hacks - they only support specific builds, so you can't update them.

The Intel ones, I'd hope, are a lot more forgiving.

One of the easier ways seems to be just running it in a linux KVM with qemu, which... I guess I wish I'd heard about a week ago.

But yeah.  I don't plan to use it much, but not being particularly familiar with MacOS, it makes it hard to support them for clients at work.  I'd rather load up a VM rather than take care of a laptop so when I eventually turn it on, it still turns on.

Posted (edited)

I found a Mac OS older build for VirtualBox, had hack the VM settings to trick the hardware to be accepted but no certificate expiry issues with that one.

One thing I could not sort out was the video driver (I have GTX1060, would have helped it was an AMD GPU)

Edited by Jeruselem

I think the certificate issue is only present on some superseeded recent versions.

From memory I've had it on El Capitan and Sierra.

I don't know if all OS versions check the cert info.  It's annoying because with some older MacOS versions you have to do a 2 stage update to get to a much later version, e.g. Mountain Lion to El Capitan then Sierra.

Though if starting fresh or using a Time Machine backup there's always the usually better option to just fresh install the later one.

I think most recent versions, pre-Catalan, have 10.x.6 versions pushed out for the security certificate thing.
I don't think the kernel patches to run on AMD hardware are available for every version, tho', so it's probably a case of 'you get what you get'.

Lack of passthrough GPU from my nvidia card is fine because I'm using it for testing the UI, so it's not enough to be frustrated by no GPU acceleration.

I might have a go getting Catalan and High Sierra up and running this weekend, if I have the energy.  I'd like to get my head around it enough to be able to take a base build from Apple and mod it to work, rather than just getting a pre-packaged image to install.

I've resisted the move to Catalina - it's 64 bit only applications.

Yeah, we're not suggesting that upgrade for that reason alone.
Still want to try and familiarise myself a little because some people have done the ugprade of their own volition.

i had a hackintosh running alright (intel) once upon a time, but my only motivation for doing that was to see if i could get Final Cut Pro running (properly) which was (is?) pretty much impossible.

Yeah.  There's not much motivation from me given that there's numerous file system drivers & utlilities around that will transfer data from Mac partitions.

The OS interface is harder to use and can be inconsistent.  And plenty of things that Windows has GUI for have to be done by command line.  And some even require enabling the root user by booting into recovery first, then disabling later.  And the weird thing is it doesn't even seem to enable it's firewall by default.

Catalina time!
Clean install so far, now I know what unsaid things in the guide to keep in mind.
Probably would have been faster to create it on an SSD and then shove it off to a spare HDD, but oh well.

Whole lot easier that time, without worrying about expired security certificates in the install image.

image.png