Jump to content
Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Ben Mansill

The Atomic era concludes and we were magnificent

Recommended Posts

Yup. The things on here that will keep me from ever running for president of this country are probably nuts. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, CheekyChops said:

so I flipped to Ben's editorial piece at the front and started reading. And I was immediately drawn by how engaging and just DIFFERENT the style of writing was, it was funny, and entertaining, and a bit edgy. It wasn't boring, and I wanted to keep reading.

 

I used to read Ben's stuff in PCPP and it was great then. When I found out he was leaving PCPP to start this new magazine I knew I was on board from the start (although the month it came out I was a bit short of cash and missed it... Had to eat, right). He really built a great team of passionate writers and from the point of view of a guy who geeked out on stuff, you really felt like they got it. They really cared like you did about stuff. Sounds like it translated well to at least some other people too... 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Master_Scythe said:

I don't have friends, I have family.


I feel that.

  • Like 2
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 8:25 PM, smadge1 said:

I certainly haven’t been here for the entire journey, but it’s definitely a huge part of my life. 😭

 

thank you Ben for everything you’ve done, and be sure to hang out with us on Discord some time,

@smadge1  I signed up for the discord but I don't have permission to post .

I have never used discord before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aloha at0mic! Hello and goodbye. Aloha and aloha.

 

I'm not going to lie after the probable 5 years I spent posting crap on here back in the day before the forum moved sites, it sucks to come back as a Serf, especially seeings I still have my crappy capitalisation username haha

First world problem hey 😉

 

It also really sucks to learn about the passing of BC almost 2 years after the fact. He was always really wonderful to me and I'm really sad to hear he's gone. Hopefully he's still impressing people in some other worldly place with

his photochopping skillz. Rest peacefully my friend.

 

It's been wonderful seeing all of these familiar usernames and display pics - I tried really hard to find one of mine on the archived at0mic but no dice.

 

I'll hang around a bit til the site goes kablammo, and then i'm sure i'll see a few of you on the FB group 🙂

 

xoxo Nessie 

 

 

52135e71.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CheekyChops said:

We were teenagers, teens are stupid lol. 

Fuck. Was I meant to grow out of being stupid? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, robzy said:

Fuck. Was I meant to grow out of being stupid? 

I think it was just a suggestion. I wouldn't take it seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Yup. The things on here that will keep me from ever running for president of this country are probably nuts. 

 

Are you in the US?

 

If so, you can certainly run for president. Nothing you've said or done on here could possibly be as bad as the stuff the current POTUS does on an almost daily basis! 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

I think it was just a suggestion. I wouldn't take it seriously. 

 

Like Robzy has ever taken ANYTHING seriously...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, robzy said:

Fuck. Was I meant to grow out of being stupid? 

 

you might get to grow old; you don't have to grow up

 

 

wish i was a teenager when i joined...  because then i'd still be much younger than i am now 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

 

wish i was a teenager when i joined...  because then i'd still be much younger than i am now 

 

every now and then I think that ... but then I think if we were all teens the forum might have just died years earlier. From what I'm reading here, all the teens grabbed hold of their lives and ran with it. And that's what at0mic enabled them to do, yes

As a very  late bloomer to this haven I could wish they checked in more, but really that's life and a futile wish on my part. I'm happy I managed to experience a tiny morsel of the fun that was had here. It's been very good for me

 

eidt: Now ... I think, " if only I'd had a place like this was, to come to in my teens ....."

Edited by eveln
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many beautiful, familiar names 🙂 Warms the heart ❤️ 

 

1 hour ago, eveln said:

 

eidt: Now ... I think, " if only I'd had a place like this was, to come to in my teens ....."

Atomic first came out when I was 20, I believe. But I know what you mean. Atomic has been with me through the most formative of my years; through sharehouses and housemates and shit IT jobs and through the big life things. The magazine was kindred spirits and the forums felt like home 🙂❤️ It really did make a huge difference in my life, the magazine and the forums and the community all. I was a really shy, timid computer nerd who had just moved to a city after having grown up in a small country town and I didn't really know anyone or have friends of my own. I didn't even really know myself. But through the magazine, the forums and the community, I was able to make connections, to make friends, to share laughs, and to not feel so out of place for having all my geeky and gaming interests. 

Atomic came into my life at a time when I was really going out on my own and finding my feet, my place in the world and my sense of identity. And it helped me in all those things. And, I daresay, I'm not the only one.

And I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who thinks back on all my old posts and cringes 😄 

  • Like 6
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, elvenwhore said:

And I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who thinks back on all my old posts and cringes 😄 

 

I have oddly mixed feelings on this. Some of my older posts I actually really liked, but man, there were some periods where I was going through an insecure angsty edgelord phase and it showed.

  • Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, aquilus said:

 

I have oddly mixed feelings on this. Some of my older posts I actually really liked, but man, there were some periods where I was going through an insecure angsty edgelord phase and it showed.

Yeah, I should have put a 'sometimes' in there. Not everything I said was cringe-worthy. Fucking verbose, though, and I've never lost that. You should see a text message from me, bloody 'ell! 😄 

I always had a lot of respect for you and your posts. As they say, embrace the person you used to be, because that's who got you to where you are now 🙂 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, aquilus said:
1 hour ago, elvenwhore said:

And I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who thinks back on all my old posts and cringes 😄 

 

I have oddly mixed feelings on this.

It's easy really to fix that ^^  ... just put ya sunnies on, hold ya head high and do a Zaphod Beeblebrox ... if you can't see the cringe, does the cringe really exist ?

Edited by eveln
bolded bits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, eveln said:

 

every now and then I think that ... but then I think if we were all teens the forum might have just died years earlier. From what I'm reading here, all the teens grabbed hold of their lives and ran with it. And that's what at0mic enabled them to do, yes

As a very  late bloomer to this haven I could wish they checked in more, but really that's life and a futile wish on my part. I'm happy I managed to experience a tiny morsel of the fun that was had here. It's been very good for me

 

eidt: Now ... I think, " if only I'd had a place like this was, to come to in my teens ....."

 

I was in my early 30s and I cringe at why posted too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, SacrificialNewt said:

 

I was in my early 30s and I cringe at why posted too.

 

I'm not looking back at my early posts. I have literally no need or desire to reconfirm the abysmal attempts I made at communication .  I am under no illusions. If I'd had a place to go to, incognito, to help me find myself as a teen then sooo many things might have been different ... not necessarily better, but different, yes.

 

Edited by eveln
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SacrificialNewt said:

I was in my early 30s and I cringe at why posted too.

 

Makes two of us.  Or three, reading Eveln's post.

 

The only reason I cringe less now is posting less. 😜

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cybes said:

 

Makes two of us.  Or three, reading Eveln's post.

 

The only reason I cringe less now is posting less. 😜

 

I can honestly say I haven’t been able to find anything truly cringeworthy.  But that may be a function of losing the archives more than my posting. 😛

 

Im pretty happy with most of what I posted. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this is now going to be a bad sector in my online existence now, innit?

 

Where else can I go to anonymously bug the hell out of people and get away with it?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone!

 

I've been posting here as ArchangelOfTheLamb, but thought I might make a few more posts with my old account just for old times' sake.

 

Thank you everyone for being so awesome - it has been a wild ride and lots of fun while it lasted! No doubt many of us will stay in touch on FB, Reddit, Discord, etc. 

 

It's hilarious to see this ancient avatar again - it's a photo I haven't used for years, not since my undergraduate uni years! 

 

Fun times in the past and hopefully we're all looking forward to fun times in the future - despite the current uncertanity & craziness, it's important that we all stay positive as this pandemic won't last forever and hopefully what emerges from the ashes will be better than the world in which we were living before! 🙂

2 hours ago, Chaos.Lady said:

I can honestly say I haven’t been able to find anything truly cringeworthy.  But that may be a function of losing the archives more than my posting. 😛

 

Im pretty happy with most of what I posted. 

 

The archives got lost? That Crooked Hillary! If only she hadn't deleted & acid washed those 33,000 emails, you'd be cringing right now! So sad folks, so sad!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×