Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Ben Mansill

The Atomic era concludes and we were magnificent

Wow, one of the few forums left that i still visit.

I still remember the day that i found Issue #1 in the newsagent one day. Pretty sure i bought every issue after that.

All good things must come to an end... i guess.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Emperor_Matej_I said:

It's hilarious to see this ancient avatar again -

It's kinda funny that we seem to have kind of swapped religious positions from the old days. The universe is in balance, I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just popping in to say hi and goodbye. To all the people I have met and friendships formed over the years I say thank you for them. I hope they can continue.  Hope everyone is going well.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, rs727 said:

All good things must come to an end... i guess.

... and we seem to accept this too

ffs.

😉

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 10:13 AM, Amiga4eva said:

There's still time for one last Nekkid thread! I'm already pantless, so there's no going back now! 

I remember that shit from decades back . Or it feels like it. Sooo funny

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 6:02 PM, chrisg said:

😞

Well hell, I get a leave pass courtesy of slightly relaxed covid restrictions in S.A. to spend a day out and about with my sis, come home and find this...

Really, really going to miss the place, I'm really not sure just how long I've been here but like many it did start with the magazine. I bought an early issue out of mere interest because the newsagent had sold out of some other PC mag that I used to get mainly for the cover disk and was hooked. My then brother-in-law gave me a sub for my birthday and was loyal  right to the last issue but continued on here as well so I don't suppose that is much short of 20 years. Two decades that have been a blur for me, but that is less of a surprise than I thought, because the two before it were similar  🙂

The first few months I was only in the Tech sections, ventured just once into the Green Room or whatever it was called then and ran away as I once told Cisco. But I did come back and basically been here ever since.

Nothing much to do but enjoy it to the last I guess but the place led to a lot of friends and catchups courtesy of the insane amount of travel I used to do. Met so many people and quirky as many could be all very, very Atomican.

Take it easy folks, I can't say I'll be there in any of the other haunts because they are just not my thing but the memories will remain.

Sayonara...

Cheers

Hi Chris,

So good to see you are still around here.

So sad that around here won't be much longer.

I bought Atomic back in the first issue. I think I still have the first issue. I remember many fine years of aviation talk. 

I'm not even sure what called me back this night. I haven't been on this forum for a long time. So much crap has gone down since then. But I think of it like family. You may not see your family for years, but they are still family.

I just read a post saying someone had never met a fellow Atomican, I remember regular Meets, Paintball, BaiLAN, parties. So many good times.

Peace all.

• Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

On 5/14/2020 at 8:16 PM, eveln said:

I think perhaps you be Famous. we never met or conversed . you had become even in absence ,and that's how I recognise the name and possibly the mention of the tie 😉

I think I have one of those errrm, ties, somewhere in my hard drive. Encrypted of course.

7 minutes ago, AVC said:

I think I have one of those errrm, ties, somewhere in my hard drive. Encrypted of course.

It's historical archive footage now to be treated with TLC for posterity's sake ... / ...or posterior's sake 😛

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Atomic has been, for the last 19 years, a family for me.  There have been some people that I have actually taken a hiatus to avoid dealing with, and there have been people that I speak to almost every day/week and are the rocks that keep me going when everything else in life is getting too much, and there have been all the variations in-betwen.  For most of the last 20 years, my main social circle has been made up of Atomicans:  I've gone to parties and barbecues, gone to Atomican weddings, and had an Atomican at mine.  Just like on the forums, people came and went: life and drama and poor decisions and regret got in the way. 

Like I said: family.

When I was young and poor and couldn't afford to get a phone line installed after moving house, Atomicans raised money for me to pass on to Telstra; helped me find different ISPs offering free trials, so I could get back online.  Back in the dialup days.  This was when, say, 2-300mb was meant to be a month's worth of free trial.  Instead, it lasted me less than a week, because I was on the forums so much.

When I was tapped on the shoulder and asked if I'd like to become a mod, I was mostly surprised, I think.  After all the shit I'd put the mod team through, they wanted to give me what?!  I can see the cunning in their plan now, tho', with hindsight: as I came to see it as a type of community service, it very much changed how I saw this place and interacted with this place and even what types of time I was and was not prepared to put into this place. 

I've wondered on and off for a while now if the forums would or should keep going, and whether we should or could rebuild the community.  But now that the writing is on the wall in triplicate, it's left me a little hollow.  The news is bittersweet.

Here's to you, you disgustingly magnificent piece of green and black history.  Here's to the friends we have and the friends we had, the things we've learned and everyone that touched us along the way.  Here's to @Ben Mansill and @hawkeye being, without a lie, two of the best bosses I've had.

Why can't I give this multiple props?

• Like 3

I was still so new to the internet and PCs in general when I came to Atomic, here I made friends, had many great times, lots of laughs, some heartache, just wanted to come back to say goodbye, I slowly drifted away from this place years ago, but it was truly my first "home" on the internet and I will be forever grateful for the things I learned and the people I met because of this place. Looking forward to catching up with some of you on the discord or facebook, to Ben, the mods and everyone else involved with the magazine and the forums across the journey, thanks for everything. 

• Like 6

On 5/16/2020 at 1:27 PM, elvenwhore said:

Yeah, I should have put a 'sometimes' in there. Not everything I said was cringe-worthy. Fucking verbose, though, and I've never lost that. You should see a text message from me, bloody 'ell! 😄 

I always had a lot of respect for you and your posts. As they say, embrace the person you used to be, because that's who got you to where you are now 🙂 

Its not your cringe if any that you will be remembered for elven,  its your kindness 🔆

• Like 3

On 5/16/2020 at 4:04 AM, Waltish said:

@smadge1  I signed up for the discord but I don't have permission to post .

I have never used discord before.

All good

Kinda wished we had a bot to help people get started. but Nich and I are pretty on the ball (except when we're asleep)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smadge1 said:

All good

Kinda wished we had a bot to help people get started. but Nich and I are pretty on the ball (except when we're asleep)

What makes you think you're entitled to sleep?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guess I wont be doing another update to the parts guide here.

Shame the forum is dead as it is still the sexiest forum out there with the black background and colored text options.

And then there is the people... some of the few that are left really know there shit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 3

15 hours ago, AVC said:

Hi Chris,

So good to see you are still around here.

So sad that around here won't be much longer.

I bought Atomic back in the first issue. I think I still have the first issue. I remember many fine years of aviation talk. 

I'm not even sure what called me back this night. I haven't been on this forum for a long time. So much crap has gone down since then. But I think of it like family. You may not see your family for years, but they are still family.

I just read a post saying someone had never met a fellow Atomican, I remember regular Meets, Paintball, BaiLAN, parties. So many good times.

Peace all.

Hi AVC,

Yeah it has been a ride, lots of aviation talk 🙂

Cheers

Posted (edited)

I remember the excitement of getting a new mag every month - it was definitely my favourite day of the month. I was always into tech as a kid but the Atomic mag amplified my love of technology. I was devastated when the mag ended. Even though I hardly ever visit the forums, I am equally devastated that the forums are being shut down. So much history - gone - but I will continue to remember those times fondly.

I spent a significant amount of time during late high school and early uni days here. I probably lurked more than I posted and unfortunately life got the better of me so frequenting the forums became less of a priority.

As I type this and remember back to 2004/5 when I first joined the forums, I remember how complicated it was being a late teen. If only I could go back and tap young Supes on the shoulder and say, everything will work out bro - just chill out and keep working at it.  The forums, and the people here, helped shape the person I am today.

Thanks for everything guys - and especially a massive thank you to you, Ben, for creating this amazing place.

Edited by supadupa
  • Like 4
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 3

Posted (edited)

I was user #79 on the forums. 16 when I joined I think.

I’m now nearly 36, married for the second time (never go for v1.0, wait for the update), with 2 little girls - 6yo and 2.5yo.

At one time I had all the Atomic mags but as I became a solutions architect and a business owner I started hating PCs and turfed them about 6y ago while moving house.

I don’t know how much impact Atomic had on my life. I’m a bit of an asshole - if I want something, I usually achieve it. There are or were certain people that I know IRL and via atomic who were models for whom not to be. And this largely mirrors my own life - I can’t say I know what to do but my experiences have tought me what NOT to do.

If there were any people that I truly liked on this forum - they all fit a pattern. All assholes in their own right who could both take it, dish it and go on living without it affecting them, while maintaining honesty and integrity. The ones that come to mind are Eveln, Walt, Damo, twinair and LP. They all have uncomplicated larrikin uncontrived personas that I really like.

There’s probably a few others.

But that quintessential disarming Ausiness that came through from them is what made this forum great for me for 19y.

Edited by Leonid
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Leonid said:

I’m now nearly 36, married for the second time (never go for v1.0, wait for the update), with 2 little girls - 6yo and 2.5yo.

At one time I had all the Atomic mags but as I became a solutions architect and a business owner I started hating PCs and turfed them about 6y ago while moving house.

I don’t know how much impact Atomic had on my life. I’m a bit of an asshole - if I want something, I usually achieve it. There are or were certain people that I know IRL and via atomic who were models for whom not to be. And this largely mirrors my own life - I can’t say I know what to do but my experiences have fought me what NOT to do.

If there were any people that I truly liked on this forum - they all fit a pattern. All assholes in their own right who could both take it, dish it and go on living without it affecting them, while maintaining honesty and integrity. The ones that come to mind are Eveln, Walt, Damo, twinair and LP. They all have uncomplicated larrikin uncontrived personas that I really like.

But that quintessential disarming Ausiness that came through from them is what made this forum great for me for 19y.

Thanks Leonid, we did disagree a lot in the early days, had a truce of sorts while we defended the

Governments decision to purchase the FA 18 Superhornet, then went back to our respective corners.

That was kool.

Over time  my position/world view has shifted, and more than sometimes  we were on the same side of the

discussion.

I will say that I like how you would back up what you said with links, facts and other proofs.

It was you and some others that helped stop this place from becoming an echo chamber.

In case our paths don't cross after Atomic is taken off life support,

let me wish you and yours all the best {:-)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leonid said:

I don’t know how much impact Atomic had on my life. I’m a bit of an asshole - if I want something, I usually achieve it. There are or were certain people that I know IRL and via atomic who were models for whom not to be. And this largely mirrors my own life - I can’t say I know what to do but my experiences have tought me what NOT to do.

I always liked that even when I thought your view point was bullshit, I could see where the bullshit came from 😉

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Leonid said:

All assholes in their own right

I have to say that that is the most flattering way in which I've ever been called an asshole ...💚

thanks Leonid,

May you live long and prosper

Edited by eveln
cos Walt says I sound like my usual harsh self
  • Like 2

checking in.   

IT's sad.  Not unexpected.  But sad.  

All my childhood haunts have gone.  Bulldozered under red-tape (That slippery-dip.  It was awesome.  So big.  So awesome.  so bloody dangerous..)
and like that, Atomic too.  
This has been a huge part of my life.  I have so many life-long friends from Atomic.  I love many of you.  Hate some of you..  And ambivalent about some of you.  
I am on facebook and discord.  
check for me.  I tend to post under my nickname of Aiydee.  (pronounced. A... D  )
So in a way, Atomic stays with me forever.  Accessdenied is where I started.  Everyone started calling me AD.  It sticks to this day.  I'm AD.  
Thanks Atomic for giving me amazing memories.  

Still waiting for Part 2 of the Peltier article Ben.  

Love you all.  

I'll check in before 'close date' and say any final farewells then.

Love you all. 

AD

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 10:37 AM, robzy said:

Fuck. Was I meant to grow out of being stupid? 

Aren't you still 12?

23 hours ago, Nich... said:

Atomic has been, for the last 19 years, a family for me.

❤️ 

• Like 1