Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Ben Mansill

The Atomic era concludes and we were magnificent

Just now, Nich... said:

🤔

is that not right ?

17 minutes ago, eveln said:

I've been waiting to see you  hope life is treating you as fairly as it can 🙂

now I just need to see @tantryl and @SnowSquirreI and @twinairand, well, it will be a little less questionable

Damo and twinair were here a while back but got bored after I came back.......................hang on.....?!

• Haha 1

Just now, LogicprObe said:

Damo and twinair were here a while back but got bored after I came back.......................hang on.....?!

yes but that's a while ago now ; don't worry Logipr0be, you are not the only boring person here ...

28 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Their only reason for posting and visiting was to get you unbanned.

How disappointment for them.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Nich... what did , do I not understand re SnowSquirrel ?

Edited by eveln

9 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Indeed.  I've never seen you in the same room as Greta Thunberg either??

2 hours ago, Waltish said:

HiYa Director .

HI guy!   Hope life is shiny (current world situation notwithstanding : ) )

9 hours ago, eveln said:

I've been waiting to see you  hope life is treating you as fairly as it can 🙂

now I just need to see @tantryl and @SnowSquirreI and @twinairand, well, it will be a little less questionable

Hey Ev's! 🙂  Well I'm not the leader of the free world yet but other than that it's all going well.  All the best.

Edited by Director
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, .optimus. said:

I'm someone who went where Ben went - from Hyper to PCPP to early Atomic. Ben, you were the voice of PC journalism at that key point. You set up some great platforms and I bet a large proportion of professional nerds in this country would still recognise your name with fondness!

And I guess this settles the atomic vs powerplay thing once and for all. In the end they both lost. 😄

Thank you optimus, thanks a heap. Very glad to hear you enjoyed the same journey through tech and gaming that I did.

PowerPlay actually won... 🙂 it's still being published - by the company I work for now, Future. It's not a monthly anymore, and its content has changed quite a lot, and while it isn't what it once was - it still is.

I'm APC editor at Future btw. It has lots more components in it now. Not quite atomic, but we do overclock stuff 🙂 Available at all good newsagents, subscription, or a digital edition!

• Like 7
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 3

waitin' for the end of the world

like usual

and enjoying the time until it happens

nice to see you again

• Like 1

Saw the announcement on OCAU, I started buying Atomic MPC mag around issue 11 and collected all 110+ issues. Atomic was and is my favourite mag. Between the mag and some of my nerdy mates it inspired many a PC build and even a school science project entirely based around overclocking, and of course many case mods (see my hot box entry pic attached)  I have many great memories both on the forums and at the atomic meets I went to like at Bronte Beach. Im actually moe sad to see atomic go than Holden!

Edit: dont be fooled by post count of 44, sometihng must have reset it as I had made well over 1000 posts here in the heyday of atomic.

RIP atomic. 

bronte beach.jpg

frontleft cropped resized.jpg

Edited by holdenkicks
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Director said:

Hey Ev's! 🙂  Well I'm not the leader of the free world yet but other than that it's all going well.  All the best.

Where's the free world hanging these days ...

Really good to see that avatar back where it always belonged .

Travel well Director 🙂

1 hour ago, holdenkicks said:

. Im actually moe sad to see atomic go than Holden!

Interesting, I wonder if @hulkster feels the same 😛  ...

Goodbye Atomic, though I have not been an active participant for many years you still hold a place in my heart. One final thanks to all writers and contributors who made the magazine great and all the forum members who provided me with hours of entertainment over the years.

Cheers!

PS. Would have been nice to see this site make it to 20 years.

• Like 2
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

16 minutes ago, eveln said:

Where's the free world hanging these days ...

Really good to see that avatar back where it always belonged .

Travel well Director 🙂

Interesting, I wonder if @hulkster feels the same 😛  ...

Nearly lol 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Director said:

Wait wut?

good to see you D.  back in the day, i was often impressed with your ability to handle the heathens with grace. 

President Camacho?  nah, you'll always be this guy to me:

uFu94Fq.jpg

5 hours ago, Ben Mansill said:

I'm APC editor at Future btw. It has lots more components in it now. Not quite atomic, but we do overclock stuff 🙂 Available at all good newsagents, subscription, or a digital edition!

😄

AUV20t6.jpg

• Like 1

haha, hey guys!  Yup had that avatar for a while, switch to the the president around 2009 ish in anticipation of things to come. :P

7 hours ago, Ben Mansill said:

Congrats... their Wiki article needs an update by the looks.

Is it really the world's longest running tech magazine though?   https://apps.apple.com/au/app/apc-australia-worlds-longest/id722803923

Started in May 1980 which would be around when I got going.  The magazines I mainly remember from that era also include Your Computer (probably the main local competitor), Byte, Creative Computing and Compute! from the US, and a few UK ones though they were usually machine-specific.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Congrats... their Wiki article needs an update by the looks.

Is it really the world's longest running tech magazine though?   https://apps.apple.com/au/app/apc-australia-worlds-longest/id722803923

Started in May 1980 which would be around when I got going.  The magazines I mainly remember from that era also include Your Computer (probably the main local competitor), Byte, Creative Computing and Compute! from the US, and a few UK ones though they were usually machine-specific.

It's technically the world's longest running English language mag in the world. That bit gets left out sometimes... There's a German mag, Chip, which I think pre-dates us.

But still.

And we have our 40th anniversary issue on sale just this week. To the newsagents, you all!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Ben Mansill said:

It's technically the world's longest running English language mag in the world. That bit gets left out sometimes... There's a German mag, Chip, which I think pre-dates us.

But still.

And we have our 40th anniversary issue on sale just this week. To the newsagents, you all!

All right.................just for you, I'll go and get one............

• Like 3