Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Ben Mansill

The Atomic era concludes and we were magnificent

4 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

All right.................just for you, I'll go and get one............

BOSS! I SOLD ONE!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Hmm...

can't remember the last magazine purchase I made.  Retro Gamer #99 might be the one and that's about 108 issues ago which would put it around 2011-12 (also a Future magazine I see).

Might have to give APC a look.  Been a long time.

• Like 1

Thanks for reminding me I have a digital sub to Retro Gamer.

I don't have any physical mags anymore...cleaned house a few years back. Some old Amiga Formats I carried around, plus some Atomics and PCPPs....can't remember what I did with them all but they're gone. Is there a digital archive somewhere or nah?

21 minutes ago, Joelz said:

I don't have any physical mags anymore...cleaned house a few years back. Some old Amiga Formats I carried around, plus some Atomics and PCPPs....can't remember what I did with them all but they're gone. Is there a digital archive somewhere or nah?

https://archive.org/details/magazine_rack?and[]=atomic+maximum&sin=

This count?

58 minutes ago, Ben Mansill said:

And we have our 40th anniversary issue on sale just this week. To the newsagents, you all!

Happy 40th Ben!  Cake!

• Like 2
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

bwahahaha

for obscure reasons i have a copy of apc from december 2004 sitting on my desk currently (under the cloudspotter's guide) which came with "7cd's worth of software on dvd-rom"

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

bwahahaha

for obscure reasons i have a copy of apc from december 2004 sitting on my desk currently (under the cloudspotter's guide) which came with "7cd's worth of software on dvd-rom"

Rip Van Winkle!

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

can't remember the last magazine purchase I made.

Surprisingly, I'm still buying them fairly regularly. Always at airports, I've never regretted picking up a tech mag to fill in the time on a long flight.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

All right.................just for you, I'll go and get one............

Ditto!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 7:21 PM, eveln said:

I have to say that that is the most flattering way in which I've ever been called an asshole ...💚

thanks Leonid,

May you live long and prosper

You're welcome.

I get great reviews on my compliments.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Click fr3nzy!

Click on me you dirty bitch hahaha.

• Like 1

As it would happen I spotted the May 2020 issue at an op-shop for a buck, which I bought and served as reminder to get the 40th anniversary one.

Which I picked up just then... PMSL.  "Then and now" and it's got a Compucolor II on the cover.

That was one of the first 3 computers I ever used, after System 80 and Atari 400.  I learned Basic from it's user manual (as bad as it was).

It has something like a 56 KB floppy drive with primative filing system.  The OS was buggy to the point where pressing a key would corrupt registers or something and cause weird program behaviour.

I think we had 1 or 2 games.  Shoot was one, it'd draw a mountain and you'd enter angle and bags (powder) to control the trajectory of your shot (affected by wind) and try and blow up the other player.

I ported the game to the Atari and it was included in my book.

Last year of High School we had grant money from Bob Hawke's government which went towards several Microbees.

• Like 3

Well shit, its been nice to come back poke fun at old friends but I suppose it's time to let go.

BTW, missed opportunity here. Should pull the plug on the Queens b'day, kinda funny seeing as the site always fell over on a bloody long weekend back in the early days.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

6 hours ago, Rybags said:

Shoot was one, it'd draw a mountain and you'd enter angle and bags (powder) to control the trajectory of your shot (affected by wind) and try and blow up the other player. 

The predecessor of Scorched Earth, sounds like.  Which btw is still around, as Scorch3D.

Very close.  I don't think I've ever encountered those.

I'm not sure what the origin of the game is.  I had a printout of the CC2 program but not sure if I still do (and being dot-matrix would probably have faded by now).

Memory is fuzzy but I get the feeling it might have been adapted from something else.

There's even the chance it could have been a terminal printer game where you just entered the angle/bags then had it print the result each time.

If I get the chance I'll see if I can do a video of my port of the game - improved it with sounds, better graphics and interface.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:24 PM, DoshiN said:

Well shit, its been nice to come back poke fun at old friends but I suppose it's time to let go.

BTW, missed opportunity here. Should pull the plug on the Queens b'day, kinda funny seeing as the site always fell over on a bloody long weekend back in the early days.  

Bah!

Hang on as long as you can!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I you hover on the atomic o in the reactions menu and right click you can save the atomic o .

Its white background when you save it  but least the green o is there .

Edited by Waltish

Got plenty of O's, looking for the whole logo. Preferably in a vector, I know there were a few around back in the day. Going to make a case sticker, for old time's sake. 

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 4

ok, banner at the top of the page can be grabbed its not a vector but its somthing 😎

7 minutes ago, Takoma said:

Got plenty of O's, looking for the whole logo. Preferably in a vector, I know there were a few around back in the day. Going to make a case sticker, for old time's sake. 

I'm pretty sure there was something back-in-the-day for the logo and the title, but also I feel like at one point we worked out what font it was in to make that vector representation, and FIIK what it's called now.

• Like 1

Namco is sort of close but the inner edge isn't rounded.

Cheers Ben, thanks for all the good times this place has generated.

This has been the only online community I felt a part of, and the discussions and banter had here shaped my views as I grew up with the place.  In a strange twist of fate, I ended up working with another at0mican recently, who I recognised from his avatar that goes back to V1 days.

Signing off,

Glacius > The_Psychonaut > TastyWheat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1