Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Ben Mansill

The Atomic era concludes and we were magnificent

Sad... no more coming back to reminisce on old times but it was certainly fun. Really enjoyed meeting some cool people! 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, plebsmacker said:

The world changes again. 

well I'm bloody glad something made you poke your cigar back in atomic again !!!

Time for a nobody that nobody knows to post their 2c haha.

Like so many others here, Atomic was the first online community I ever joined, after seeing it mentioned in the mag. Unfortunately for me, that was 2010 so I missed out on golden years many here have spoken of previously. That being said, I had an absolute blast here and will never forget the interesting conversations, the helpful advice, and in general the awesome people I got to talk with and even meet! The forums still automatically open up for me whenever I load my browser up, so while I don't post much anymore I'd always have a poke around to see how things were going. Loved the fact eveln kept my old World of Tanks thread alive single handedly haha!

I am very much going miss this place - you don't know what you've got til it's gone. Thank you Ben, the mods, and everyone else for making Atomic the wonderful place it always was, and always will be.

❤️

• Like 8

I haven't been here for a long time. I wasn't even sure you were still here!

That is sad news

I think I might have to have a look/lurk with the time we have left

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nich... said:

In order to ensure that our community will live on, we have created a number of places for people to come together and be atomic.  Come, say hi, and pour one out for what came before, and all of those who worked to help create and sustain it. - but especially for Ben.

https://www.reddit.com/r/atOmicans/ will be our home on reddit,  https://www.facebook.com/groups/atOmican/ will be our place to face our book and https://discord.gg/swKm5vS is our place to hang and chat.

We hope you will be happy there, whichever there you settle upon.  We are looking forward to many more years of togetherness.  Is it Atomic?  Yes, Sir.  Very Atomic!

I'm happy to pay for and host Invision Forums so look and feel will be the same.

If we can get the domain name, even better.

That way people who haven't been in years, can return and join.

It can still be a forum that way.

• Like 2
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

2 minutes ago, Leonid said:

I'm happy to pay for and host Invision Forums so look and feel will be the same.

If we can get the domain name, even better.

That way people who haven't been in years, can return and join.

It can still be a forum that way.

Can't get a better offer than that if Future are doing it tough.

Atomic was possibly the single most significant community that allowed me to grow as a person.

It was at a time where it was quite unstable in my personal and social lives when I first came here, and over time, this amazing community allowed me to be me.

And for that, I am immensely grateful to each and every one of you that made me feel welcome. You made me feel welcome among this band of misfits, geeks, and overall bloody awesome people.

I'm sure I'll pop back in until the 11th of June before the shutdown, but it's been a great ride with all of you. See you on the flipside.

-Krispy

• Like 6

I''m surprised they kept this running until now actually.

Usually they kill the forum and farm out the social aspect to FB and Twitter.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mac Dude said:

Thanks for the ride Ben.

The crazy days were awesome, letting me moderate, well you'll have to live with that 🙂 I have some friends I would not have met if it wasn't for this place and I've been part of some conversations that still make me smile today.

Hell of a ride.

Thanks again.

And thank you my friend. You were always the wise plus sensible one with the head that couldn't be unlevelled 🙂 and funny. You and Virt. What a team of mods, and entertaining green room headbutting. 

7 minutes ago, krispy89 said:

Atomic was possibly the single most significant community that allowed me to grow as a person.

It was at a time where it was quite unstable in my personal and social lives when I first came here, and over time, this amazing community allowed me to be me.

And for that, I am immensely grateful to each and every one of you that made me feel welcome. You made me feel welcome among this band of misfits, geeks, and overall bloody awesome people.

I'm sure I'll pop back in until the 11th of June before the shutdown, but it's been a great ride with all of you. See you on the flipside.

-Krispy

You, Krispy, are Atomic's greatest single achievement. Or at least you're our poster child for showing a smothered kid that he's got a right to party.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Haven't been on here for sometime, but glad to see that Nich has setup an alternative space.

This place was really great back when the magazine was going, and still great after it ended.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

I''m surprised they kept this running until now actually.

Usually they kill the forum and farm out the social aspect to FB and Twitter.

I think Ben was always batting for us......................but even Bradman got out eventually!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Oh. My. God. So sad this is finally happening but understandable!!!!

Why no archive? I really want to nostalgically go over some of the old chats, discussions, debates and flame wars... Can we mirror the site somewhere??

• Like 3

Well. I guess I said goodbye to this website some time ago, but Atomic has lived in a cherished place in my heart and memories ever since, as I’m sure it will ever more.

I joined Atomic the best part of 20 years ago when I was but a whippersnapper, and the role this community has had in shaping my life is hard to state. Most of my current friends I met via Atomic. I met my wife through Atomic. We have a little girl together. She wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for this place.

Ben, this crazy thing you helped bring into being so many years ago has spread waves of positivity out into the world that will not stop with the end of this website.

I myself have been the editor of several magazines now, and always in the back of my mind has been a fantasy of finding the same crazy energy, the same magic that Atomic had. What you and the rest of the team did with the magazine and the community was truly something special. You should rightly feel proud as you push its flaming funeral barge out into the dark waters.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Yes, Sir.  Very Atomic!

Thanks for your time and patience

• Thanks 1

well.... shit.... 😞

i know i haven't exactly been around much lately, was completely AWOL for a number of years, and then kinda wandered off again even lately.... 

but i too owe a lot to the at0mic community, having stumbled upon the IRC channel when i was about 16, and as a result learning about the mag, and what a forum was... i have a hell of a lot of melbourne at0micans to thank, for both putting me up, and putting up with me, when i left my hometown in QLD on a train, with no plans to return... i was a young dumb kid and took a lot of shit for granted, and never really got the chance to thank people properly, when i realised later just how much they'd actually done for me... Lambo, furcat, The Tick, NoZy, berrygirl, just to name a few... many many more that thanks are definitely owed, but those guys spring to mind as the ones that put a roof over my head! 

i really should try to be more active on discord.... but these days the book of face seems to be my online hangout... i hope to see a few of you there... and i will try to make an effort to stick my head back in here a few times, before it all goes kaput! 

So Long, and Thanks for All The Fish!  

• Like 5
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

8 minutes ago, orinjuse said:

Well. I guess I said goodbye to this website some time ago, but Atomic has lived in a cherished place in my heart and memories ever since, as I’m sure it will ever more.

I joined Atomic the best part of 20 years ago when I was but a whippersnapper, and the role this community has had in shaping my life is hard to state. Most of my current friends I met via Atomic. I met my wife through Atomic. We have a little girl together. She wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for this place.

Ben, this crazy thing you helped bring into being so many years ago has spread waves of positivity out into the world that will not stop with the end of this website.

I myself have been the editor of several magazines now, and always in the back of my mind has been a fantasy of finding the same crazy energy, the same magic that Atomic had. What you and the rest of the team did with the magazine and the community was truly something special. You should rightly feel proud as you push its flaming funeral barge out into the dark waters.

I always liked your name orinjuse. It kinda matched the fresh and sometimes acidic posting style. Just saying, and also thank you for words so nice I pasted them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ben Mansill said:

I always liked your name orinjuse. It kinda matched the fresh and sometimes acidic posting style. Just saying, and also thank you for words so nice I pasted them. 

Thanks Ben! This place helped me file off some of the rough edges - I like to think I’m a little sweeter these days. Still a bit of bite, perhaps.

OMFG I am sad to see this place go, also surprised it still existed (Thanks Krispy for posting it on FB :) 

OMG Your still alive LogicProbe wow

Ah the good old days of atomic lives :'(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leonid said:

I came back only to post here in this thread.

I own an IT company. That means I know how to do shit.

Is anyone interested in:

a: regrouping elsewhere?

b: would you trust me to host it and keep your details safe?

If enough people are ok with a) and b), @Ben, how much would the domain cost to buy?

I would be in that YES .

The world has moved on. All things serve the beam.

Luckily most of you are on Facebook and the Reddit group sounds good. 

Thanks for the 19 years Ben. They say all good things must come to the end. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

😮

😢

❤️

Wow! What a ride this has been. 

I love this place, even though I've hardly shown my mug around here recently. Book of faces etc 😞

This place was always more than a magazine, it was a community.  Some wild and crazy events, some wild and crazy partnerships, companies, skills, encouragement, grief and joy. We faced all these things. Together. And being born in the early days of the internet boom, we made art, made noise, gained notoriety (some good, some bad lol).

from nekid antics, to being up around the clock (literally), to lans with forklifts, marriages, movie nights, and of course, the m33ts and beerathons.  W00t!

Not to mention the immense generosity people have shown, I have many people to thank for putting me up for a night or 3, for helping me find work, and becoming my friends. My life would be a lot less interesting without you all.

And for that, I tip my many hats to you all.

❤️Fredz

21 minutes ago, neoprint said:

From memory, that was the work or Mr's Sneddo and Morris. A great filler between upgrades 🙂

Edited by fredzfrog
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Ben Mansill said:

Q: Can I have Atomic?
A: Due to GDPR impacting the parent company out of the UK, and there being some users who are in the EU, that is unfortunately not doable

So your saying we need someone euro based? Hmmmm.... 

2 hours ago, Ben Mansill said:

Hello beautiful Atomicans.

This wonderful place that has been so incredible for almost 20 years is soon to be making a final exit from the internet. 

June the 11th will be our last day together, here. 

Atomic the Magazine was there when I was a noob at computer stuff, it  helped me

to learn to  build and  hot up systems.

Atomic the forum as well as technical help, got a socially isolated bloke (me)

to come out of his shell.

I am sure it is due to your tireless efforts, that Atomic has been kept alive for as long as it has.

You are Atomic's  Father. I am deeply sad this day has come, I will end this before I get too

maudlin .  You made a difference and by extension Atomic made a difference to me,

and I am sure many others.

Thank you for everything  Ben .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_(magazine)

• Like 5