Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Ben Mansill

The Atomic era concludes and we were magnificent

2 minutes ago, fredzfrog said:

So your saying we need someone euro based? Hmmmm.... 

No, it means we need noone eurobased from what I understand. It's a European privacy thing. 

I can see a possibility in the domain and possibly the bare bones of the forum being moved over but none of the data would go without a - probably - expensive process to ensure privacy and what not. 

• Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

I have been a member here since 2003 and have popped back here and there over the years.

If I am to be honest, I am surprised a forum has survived this long in the age we live in now. And that is a testament to the amazing people here in the Atomic community!

I have a lot to thank Atomic for, like a lot of people. And have met some incredible people that have changed my life forever.

I'll be in the Discord/FB as that is generally where I tend to keep my social contact these days anyway.

See you there!

- NitroMonkey

• Like 4

http://web.archive.org/web/20090929180353/http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/archives.asp?s=1&c=1&t=27954

...and now I am in my 30's

Real life interactions from here have been crazy and especially when you think about the fact it started with buying a copy of a magazine, because it had a chick (Flouncy's term, not mine), hosing down a PC with a hose. Hot.

Joining IRC back in the day, and then going to a random Putt Putt meet in Ryde, where i met (for the first time) people like Gramyre and BobTheMonkey - oh boy, i was so young... my parents even joined me because i was like 16?.

To this day, I still remember one key moment from the past like it was yesterday. And that was the first (and maybe only?) Secret Superhero dinner in Kings Cross (thanks Microsoft for paying!).

We met at Kinselas, where a just 17yo Prae was snuck in! Followed by a dinner at some Baltic Seafood restaurant not too far away, where i classified the wine i tasted as "tasting like wood". 🙂

(It's 17 years ago itself, surely it's no longer Secret!)

@Ben Mansill - I think it's just fair, that we keep the Doc Spooge Archives at least. Some good shit in there. 😉 

https://web.archive.org/web/20020802004332/http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/spooge_disc.asp

• Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

30 minutes ago, Praetorian said:

. 🙂

(It's 17 years ago itself, surely it's no longer Secret!)

@Ben Mansill - I think it's just fair, that we keep the Doc Spooge Archives at least. Some good shit in there. 😉 

https://web.archive.org/web/20020802004332/http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/spooge_disc.asp

Praety!

I remember meeting you and your mum at a cafe in order to swap a disk of photos. You were such an adorable 15 year old.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fredzfrog said:

So your saying we need someone euro based? Hmmmm.... 

The UK is No Longer in The EU ,

Transition period ends December.

• Like 1

Well expletive. Like too many of us, I know I've been away, but still in touch with a lot of the folks I met because @Flouncy had a great idea.
@ben mansill - You built a great team and an EXCELLENT thing. But it all would have fallen apart quite a few times without you constantly driving atOmic every way you could. Thanks Ben! Hope to see you on the flipside.

9 minutes ago, Chaos.Lady said:

I remember meeting you and your mum at a cafe in order to swap a disk of photos. You were such an adorable 15 year old.  🙂

True that, the day i found out your true identity as well! 😉

1 hour ago, Waltish said:

Atomic the Magazine was there when I was a noob at computer stuff, it  helped me

to learn to  build and  hot up systems.

I remember you making cups of coffee, having a snooze , showering, or whatever waiting for shit to download sometimes just having to go to bed and get up and hope it was done the next day ...

You started from scratch with these guys here on atomic. ❤️

• Like 2

Wow, this is a sad day I expected to see a long time ago, yet still hoped would never come.

All I can say is, thank you for this place and thank you for letting me be a part of it. You gave me so many memories, even if I probably didn't give back anywhere near as much. Overclocking my computer with a pencil. That shirt I wore into the ground. The games of Mafia. The late night threads. Those atomic wrasslin' stories. Those who I cut my teeth on WoW with. Those I shot in face in World of Tanks. But most of all those that took the time to make me feel welcome.

Thank you.

I never did get that immortal post though sadly...

• Like 3

Hey, Ben. Thanks for everything man. One small request before this place evaporates, I just wanted you to see if you could pass on a message to Bennett for me? Please let him know I'm sorry. I'm so very sorry that he sucks at Counter Strike.

Yeah, that's right, I said it Bennett, you son of a bitch! Any game, any time, 1v1 I will always own you completely.

You won't even see me coming, punk.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 4

Oh lordy, where do I begin...

I joined in... 2002 it must have been?

I was a different person then. Atomic was a huge part of my life from the age of 16, all the way up to now, at 35.

I had a lot of differences of opinions, even clashes with some people, said some pretty asinine things (which I'm obviously not proud of), but I always had a tonne of respect for y'all. Each and every one. (Except you DMB 😛)

Takoma, 'member when we both has a sudden peak of photography nerd-dom?

DonutKing, 'member when I drove all the way down from Brisbane to swap parts?

Leonid, 'member when we hated each other's opinions on NBN, but you still DM'd me to check in when I mentioned I was getting divorced?

Scythe, 'member all the dodgy hacks I helped you make less dodgy?

The forum may vanish, the domain might expire and get squatted by some malware-spreading parasite, but what we all had together, that'll be with us until we die.

Hey.... guys... everyone...

I love you.

• Like 3
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 4

Posted (edited)

What to say about this that hasn't already been said?

It was a lifetime ago, yet it still seems like only a few short years ago I was renting computers and dreaming of a "real" career in IT when I stumbled across a computer magazine that had a big black monolith on the cover. I found the forum not long after and made friends I had no idea I would still be in touch with nearly two decades later.

I've since had that IT career and lived in two other states before ending up back in my home town.

Social media and short attention spans notwithstanding, this place outlasted many others. 

Thanks everyone for the memories. 

Edited by TechHeadFred
I had more to say...
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

End of an era 😞

It was an honor knowing and working with the team @ AJB Publishing and @ AtomicMPC. Ben Mansill (Flouncy; my boss and the person who hired me), John Gillooly, Bennett Ring, Adrian J and Simon (owners/publishers/TPTB/everyone's boss), Kate P, Katey-kate, Tremayne S, Daniel (OG Atomic webmaster), Logan B, Nathan D, Darren E, Tim D, Ashok, Dave K, David H (my boss, one of my two life-long best friends to this day), Ashton M (whose writings first got me interested in Linux), Charlotte T, Val Q (my boss, but a good guy even so!), Siobhan C, Stuart R, Stu-ART, Byron C, Ian Y, Ron O, Fleur D, all of the fantastic sales and marketing staff and many others: you helped create Atomic and you helped make it awesome. I salute you.

Edited by Zeddicus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Zeddicus said:

End of an era 😞

It was an honor knowing and working with the team @ AJB Publishing and @ AtomicMPC. Ben Mansill (Flouncy) John Gillooly, Bennett Ring, Adrian J and Simon (owners/publishers/TPTB), Kate P, Katey-kate, Tremayne S, Daniel (OG Atomic webmaster), Logan B, Nathan D, Darren E, Tim D, Ashok, Dave K, David H, Ashton M, Charlotte T, Val Q, Siobhan C, Stuart R, Stu-ART, Byron C, Ian Y, Ron O, Fleur D, all of the fantastic sales and marketing staff and many others: you helped create Atomic and you helped make it awesome. I salute you.

Hey, thanks to the advertisers and sponsors too. I still use some of the swag acquired over the years and it was very much appreciated 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Praetorian said:

Joining IRC back in the day, and then going to a random Putt Putt meet in Ryde, where i met (for the first time) people like Gramyre and BobTheMonkey - oh boy, i was so young... my parents even joined me because i was like 16?.

Prae!!

Grams and BTM at PuttPutt.... I had totally lost that memory.

Thank you for bringing it back 🙂

Well fuck huh ....., i spose its been a long time coming, been a long run ( how i remember my login i dont know... ) sad to see it go.

• Like 1

Damn, sad to see this place go, though I've done nothing to keep it here.

I'll always have awesome memories of this place and the people i met here.

Thanks for making this place my first real online home all those years ago💚💚💚

• Like 4

Not gonna lie, this one stung. Stung quite a bit :(

What a ride, what an amazing community. Brings a tear to my eye.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Farewell atomic, I joined in 2008 when I was an edgy and furious teen, now I'm 30 and because of the connections I made here, I have a job and friends for life.  I'll be forever grateful. x

• Like 7
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 3

Nope. Just. Just no. This is completely like when I don't want a sausage roll until I go to a cafe and they mention - offhand - that they used to serve sausage rolls, but don't anymore. Suddenly, all I can think about are fucking sausage rolls. 

I couldn't accurately measure what this place means to me. Everything from friends, to love, to a brief career in writing. Much sadness :(. 

• Like 9

Fuck.

Thanks flouncy for putting your heart and soul into what is and always will be a fucken awesome thing.

Take a bow mate.  And thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

• Like 7

Thanks guys, this place has been great. Ben, and the rest of the team you created something awesome (the mag, the forum, the community), and while sad to see it go, very thankful that it was allowed to run for so long.

I joined in late 2001 I think - was shortly after my brother died, at a time when I was looking for distractions and the amazing tech discussions (and mag articles) were just the thing. In the early days (when less gaming focused) there was quite a bit of content that was professionally useful to me.

I was known for reading atomic at work - so much so that my boss got IT to prank me by redirecting atomic on the company DNS to some Disney princess site or something for a week as a hint. Then a month later complimented me in a performance appraisal for keeping up to date with tech by reading sites like Atomic... So its poetic, than some 18 years later this morning I'm still working for the same company, still using work computer resources to read atomic (even if my job these days doesn't need that tech stuff, and I haven't poked my head in a tech forum for years)

• Like 5