Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Ben Mansill

The Atomic era concludes and we were magnificent

1 hour ago, gramyre said:

❤️

29 minutes ago, hulkster said:

Fuck.

Thanks flouncy for putting your heart and soul into what is and always will be a fucken awesome thing.

Take a bow mate.  And thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Thanks buddy - miss you, man, we had some amazing times, eh? All gold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Mansill said:

Thanks buddy - miss you, man, we had some amazing times, eh? All gold.

Best time of my life. Tranquility had me in tears with laughter that many times.  Its really going to be a big part of our lifes gone. But the memories will live on.  Even my shitty driving against you and lambsie   🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's weird that I can trace the entire trajectory of my life to this place.

I read a sweet computer magazine in our family holiday home in the blue mountains when I was around 12, it had a section called "hotbox" where someone had modded a computer case to have two integrated CO2 cylinders so they could flash-cool their processor by hitting a missile switch, and that was awesome. I kept buying the magazine on the reg with pocket money for the next few years and joined up to the forums in highschool because I was bored during lunch. I posted a bunch of shit for months if not years, including a lot of lies and nonsense because I was teenager trying to figure out who he was, but everyone tolerated me anyway.

I started meeting up with a bunch of amazing nerds from here at pubs or whatever every so often, and at some point one of them was like "man, I'm playing this space MMO it's pretty great come check it out with me". So I started playing, he stopped playing it pretty soon after but I was hooked for years. Eventually I started my uni degree and about half way through I decided I wanted to go work on that MMO, and now I've been in Iceland for 5 years and the shutdown of these forums is going to coincide pretty much to the day with my being granted permanent residence in this tiny icy duck shaped rock in the middle of the atlantic.

Very odd how such small things can divert peoples lives so much, and thanks to everyone who was involved, at every level!

Facebook's not my thing but I'll keep an eye on the reddit, and if anyone wants to contact me they can definitely route via cybes or beardmaster, both of whom have me on steam.

See ya's all on the next incarnation!

edit: Found it, this mod right here, issue 42, July 04:

out.thumb.jpg.058047c83b55d9a41189673b5d761dce.jpg

Not sure who Albi is, but if historians from the future come asking, it's all his fault!

Edited by Sir_Substance
  • Like 4
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

Thinking on the fly here, but you know what might be nice ... towards the end of this year (when we're hopefully going back to normal life again), it would be damn nice to have a meet / farewell.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Well, shit.

I kinda always just expected this place to keep chugging along. 

Things change, but yeah...this place was always 'home' on the internet.  I may have moved out, but this was a family.

We had some fucking wild times, guys.

And through these here forums, I've made some true, life-long friends.

The ol' Green and Black will be very missed.

Rest in peace, AtomicMPC.  You've earned it.

*salutes flouncy and Hawkeye*

Edited by hectorbustnuts
  • Like 8
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

1 minute ago, Gharphield said:

Thinking on the fly here, but you know what might be nice ... towards the end of this year (when we're hopefully going back to normal life again), it would be damn nice to have a meet / farewell.

I agree 100%!

Sorry to see the forums going - I've had some good times and great laughs here.  Cheers for all of it.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Ben Mansill said:

I agree 100%!

We should talk more about this 🙂 I think I still have your number 😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gharphield said:

I've never actually met anyone from these forums .. there's one Atomican in Palmerston NT but never met him either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

6 minutes ago, Gharphield said:

Depending on how international travel sorts itself out I might be able to make such an event, I just need plenty of warning.

• Like 1

Yeah it would HAVE to be planned many months in advance (you know, like all our other meets that we did!) location , etc is always key. As much as I'd love to host it in the ACT, I think that's a big ask for a lot of peeps. But yeah, it just seems like something that would be 'right' to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow... That announcement hit me harder than I thought it would!

I've been here for almost 20 years, but felt that because my regular participation had dropped off dramatically in recent years (although I still check in here every single day), having at0mic disappear would probably not big such a big deal anymore.  Well, I was wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong! I'm going to miss this place big time.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I was already putting the feelers out for a big 20 year reunion in Feb next year over the last month or so.

If we aren't out of the worst of the lockdown regs by then, people are gonna be crazy and you won't want to be near them! 🙂

Stay tuned, keep in touch on the Reddit, FB or discord and things will happen.  That's a promise.

🙂

• Like 3
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 4

There's still time for one last Nekkid thread! I'm already pantless, so there's no going back now! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Amiga4eva said:

There's still time for one last Nekkid thread! I'm already pantless, so there's no going back now! 

Everybody is pantsless!  It's lockdown boy!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chaos.Lady said:

Everybody is pantsless!  It's lockdown boy!

You get it. See. You're on board. Our time is now! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gharphield said:

We should talk more about this 🙂 I think I still have your number 😉

There's already been convos underway behind the scenes - but little point in planning anything solid at this stage. It'll happen when it happens. When the time is right.

• Like 2

Morris. Moz . Get your crazy butts here and say goodbye !!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the memories guys. It will be strange to not have the place around, but the friendships I've made over the past 20 years will certainly live on.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, fredzfrog said:

From memory, that was the work or Mr's Sneddo and Morris. A great filler between upgrades 🙂

That one wasn't Sneddo and I. We made a different one. That was all Ben and his wizards behind the curtains.

• Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 3

2 minutes ago, morris said:

That one wasn't Sneddo and I. We made a different one. That was all Ben and his wizards behind the curtains.

And just like that I summonsed him.   🙂

...waiting for moz.....

Flouncy, what ever happened to the hot mess of code that was the V1 forum? There was something special about it that no other forum had, even if it did manage to make posts appear in different threads when the server was overloaded.

I joined because a friend at the time showed me some case mods. I've been modifying ever since.

Arcade sticks out of dead consoles, controller mods, even my own body is modified. (Multiple NFC implants, magnets and all sorts of other stuff that will make you wince). 

Gaming, mods and being a smartarse. That's been my life. And I can trace that back to this place.

Thanks for the lifelong friendships, experiences, knowledge and an outlet to discover who we all are.

I still can't believe you let me have a set of keys to the base for a while.

• Like 5
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 4