Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Ben Mansill

The Atomic era concludes and we were magnificent

13 hours ago, plebsmacker said:

The world changes again. 

yes, but they seem to be likely to give you something else

isn't that what you wished for ?

1 minute ago, morris said:

I joined because a friend at the time showed me some case mods. I've been modifying ever since.

Arcade sticks out of dead consoles, controller mods, even my own body is modified. (Multiple NFC implants, magnets and all sorts of other stuff that will make you wince). 

Gaming, mods and being a smartarse. That's been my life. And I can trace that back to this place.

Thanks for the lifelong friendships, experiences, knowledge and an outlet to discover who we all are.

I still can't believe you let me have a set of keys to the base for a while.

For old time sake can I get a Atomic written on your head  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

13 hours ago, Leonid said:

If we can get the domain name, even better.

It can still be a forum that way.

aaatomic ?

We were magnificent, weren't we? 🙂 

It's been said so many times over the years that Atomic wasn't just a magazine, or a website, or a forum, but a community. And so many of us have felt that, over the years, in so many different ways for so many different reasons. I know I have. A stereotypical introverted, shy computer nerd, but in coming to Atomic I ended up with a group of built-in BrisAtomic crew friends (when one or more of us weren't piking!). I worked with some, I sharehoused with some, I married one (non-forum magazine reader), I partied and BBQ'd and blood splattered and shuffled and LAN'd with all. And the very first time I got on a plane in my life, it was to fly to Sydney to attend a RL Atomic meet 🙂 

All because a housemate brought home that fateful first issue of Atomic. Atomic has woven itself into the fabric of my life and I consider myself extremely fortunate for that ❤️❤️❤️ 

It's been said that a lady never reveals her age, but I'm not a lady, I'm an elvenwhore 😛 It has occurred to me that by the time Atomic officially concludes, it will have existed for exactly half my lifespan. I will therefore have lived exactly half my life without Atomic, and half with it. If my maths stands. Cool 🙂 

Thank you to Ben, for everything, just everything. You did good, boy, you did good 🙂

I WILL SEE YOU ALL AT THE MEET BECAUSE IT WILL HAPPEN!! Until then, let's Atomic the shit out of our remaining time together here 🙂 And I will see as many of you on the flipside as I can 🙂 

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, morris said:

Just for you. 

atomic.jpg

Now THATS what im talking about  🙂

Cheers mate  🙂

well, there went a large chunk of my morning (after a late rise)

i'm still a bit stunned to make an appropriate statement, although i am having a little chuckle because recently i was offered a position of some honour here, and while i vacillated, the opportunity has now got a timer ticking like some camp explosive device in a b grade movie

to ben, thanks for your amazing efforts, even though i belatedly confess i don't know if i ever bought the magazine, but i certainly latched on to the forum, although as a later member than many of the people who posted here - i was already getting my geek feed from one of the international overclocking forums at that stage (as a member), when i first discovered the silicon lottery had provided me a set of 2x256mb bh5 ram sticks in my very first bespoke build (t'bred with the awesome zalman flower cooler in the a7n 8x deluxe)

unlike many here i was already as mature as i am likely to get when i got here - which isn't saying anything about where that level is set

i do remember vividly being hit with the ban hammer for posting  a picture of jamie lee curtis' without her shirt from a scene in "trading places", and having acute withdrawals from the ability to post my 2c for what seemed like a long time - thanks, ben

i'd like to think i learnt a lesson, but the lesson seemed to be that male nipples of improbable erection aren't as offensive as female breasts, and i am still a bit ambivalent about that

to all the varied and unique people i have come to know as my extended online family here, i congratulate you all for being such a wonderful bunch - losing the forum will diminish my existence like the death of any good friend, but the memories of course will persist until i snuff it eventually of whatever affliction finally gets the better of me

given as i am to shunning the book of face, and annoyed as i am by discord spinning up on the load screen of my son's desktop whenever i have to perform administrative tasks like installing my old i7 2600k, i am left with the possibility of reddit, which i confess i occasionally intersect with doing web searches

till mid june though, we're good to go.. or i guess, we're good, and then we'll go

all living things eventually die, but some leave fossilised footprints for aeons : https://web.archive.org/web/*/atomic forums

wtg, atomic !

• Like 3

So much to smile and laugh about amid the sadness. Hulks your peom was wonderful. Keeping that. And morris, oh man oh man, you made me laugh for the first time in many long hours. Thanks.

And everyone so far, and to come, for all the beautiful words. They lift us all and it's just impossible to not be feeling very deep feels right now. I can't go thanking every post one by one - but to you all - huge love.

• Like 2
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 4

1 hour ago, Ben Mansill said:

There's already been convos underway behind the scenes - but little point in planning anything solid at this stage. It'll happen when it happens. When the time is right.

Let me know if I can help out 🙂

• Like 1

Don't visit here anywhere near as much as I used to but have some great memories. Hopefully able to finally meet up with some of the Brisbane peeps if anything is organised as far as a farewell is concerned once we're allowed to meet up again.

• Like 2

I haven't worn this T, now I wonder if I can find someone small enough to fit into it. 🤨

T3.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 3

Man that wooties page. We were so chuffed when we made that. Turned out beautifully.  An all-time fav. Thanks for posting it SquallStrife!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Praetorian said:

@Ben Mansill - I think it's just fair, that we keep the Doc Spooge Archives at least. Some good shit in there. 😉 

https://web.archive.org/web/20020802004332/http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/spooge_disc.asp

ohhhh... I think I've aged well, though some of those articles are wayyy out of date : ) like the multi-award winning investigation into tele-dildonics etc. Oh my goodness we've come a long way since then...

Edited by Doc Spooge
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

Here's cheers to all of you wonderful atomicans 😀

It was one of the best jobs ever working on the mag in the early 00s. Thank you so much for hiring me... and then encouraging me to bring some of the work I was doing for 'lifestyle mags' and radio into my day job @Ben Mansill

• Like 3
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

13 minutes ago, Doc Spooge said:

Here's cheers to all of you wonderful atomicans 😀

It was one of the best jobs ever working on the mag in the early 00s. Thank you so much for hiring me... and then encouraging me to bring some of the work I was doing for 'lifestyle mags' and radio into my day job @Ben Mansill

Welcome back.  Hope to see you hanging around occasionally in one of our new hangouts!  We have all gotten a lot older now, but I'm POSITIVE there are guys out there who could absolutely do with your... advice. 🙂

They may not have a girlfriend these days, but their wives would probably appreciate it. 😄

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

I've never actually met anyone from these forums .. there's one Atomican in Palmerston NT but never met him either.

I've met a couple... Wacus whom I knew for a while before realising he was a member here a long time ago,  he's moved back to Tasmania now, Takoma, Midnighter, Chrisg, Lazzarus2nd, LordBug, Darkmatter (RIP buddy), Caelum, The Manta, MSGT Bilko, fatal-error .... ahhh I've actually forgotten the other usernames simply because I know them on facebook by their real names.... Met a few of the PAC many years ago at Tak's place.

Reliving some memories.... sorry, not sorry about digging out those hungover pics hahaha

Edited by DEVERE
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, morris said:

Just for you. 

fucksake !

We met you when your head was hairy and I think your tongue was whole !!

Good to meet both you and Kimmo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, eveln said:

fucksake !

We met you when your head was hairy and I think your tongue was whole !!

Good to meet both you and Kimmo

Yeah the tongue split was done back in Jan 2012. Just after I stopped using the forums.

After I left Cairns and moved to Sydney.

Like I said earlier, I'm modded to the extreme.

It has been a long time hasn't it. Was great meeting a handful of atomicans when I was up north

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chaos.Lady said:

Welcome back.  Hope to see you hanging around occasionally in one of our new hangouts!  We have all gotten a lot older now, but I'm POSITIVE there are guys out there who could absolutely do with your... advice. 🙂

They may not have a girlfriend these days, but their wives would probably appreciate it. 😄

From memory... you're one of a handful of people who knew my actual name IRL. Oh how coy. I found my old business card today when this all happened. And I've joined a FB group today...

DocSP_atomic_card.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, morris said:

Yeah the tongue split was done back in Jan 2012. Just after I stopped using the forums.

It has been a long time hasn't it. Was great meeting a handful of atomicans when I was up north

Yeah a long time but you don't look old !!!! 🙂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, morris said:

I like how I find only found out after moving to Cairns that there previously were Atomicans here but no longer...

• Like 1

😞

I guess it was bound to happen some time

I certainly look back on those days very fondly, and am grateful for the close friends that I have made from it. 

It played a role in shaping who I am now. 

Although I literally haven't logged on here in years, it's still sad to see the last vestige of what was once great die. 

Shine on you crazy diamonds. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Doc Spooge said:

From memory... you're one of a handful of people who knew my actual name IRL. Oh how coy. I found my old business card today when this all happened. And I've joined a FB group today...

Oh... coy is my middle name. 😉

I might have seen you lurking about...  I have one of those business cards here somewhere I think too! 🙂  Oh - memories! 🙂

• Like 1

Gone but never to be forgotten.

From this day to the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered, we few, we happy few, we band of brothers and sisters....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 6