Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Ben Mansill

The Atomic era concludes and we were magnificent

I certainly haven’t been here for the entire journey, but it’s definitely a huge part of my life. 😭

thank you Ben for everything you’ve done, and be sure to hang out with us on Discord some time,

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

How about another question. Can we have an extension? A month maybe? Maybe 15 years? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm sorry Ben. That must have been pretty hard for you to post. Thanks for putting up with me.

• Sad 3

Sad.  But I guess predictable.  It lasted probably a few years longer than I would have expected.

Thanks Ben for everything, and fitting that you be the one making the announcement.

Yep, significant part of our lives.  With 15,000 posts on this incarnation and I think somewhere high 30s in the previous, that's 50,000 posts in a little over 19 years.

Fark, given 19 years is a touch under 6,950 days that's an average of about 7 a day.  A lot of typing at the least.

What to do, where to go?  I'm not sure.  I guess I should check out Discord.

Maybe we could start a Google Group?  The amount of traffic we get would suit it.

I do Facebook but don't want to be swallowed into that ecosystem.

I'm on AtariAge but with about 1/3rd the amount of posts and a few years less active.

Maybe it's time to downsize the internet presence?

Dudeworld's still up... mostly inactive for almost 18 months.   😛

• Like 5

Work on New Places for Atomicans to be on the Internet has been an intensive today-project, and you will hear from Chaos about that. We have the toppest team doing their finest work on this important next step 🙂

• Like 4
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 5

Well!!!!

I just get back in and they pull the plug!

Better get myself an avatar.......

• Haha 3

Final request: every user on the forums becomes a superhero for the last 24 hours. 

It's been a crazy ride. Lots of friendships made, sometimes more, and most of them ongoing. Atomic isn't a mag, it isn't a forum, a website, and definitely not a business. It's us. 

Atomic has had a massive impact on my life. I owe it atleast two, if not all three of my IT jobs. Somehow unrelated, also had my name(s!) in print as well. 

Atomic has been suspended, shut down, broken up, blended, etc a few times. Despite this, it still lives on. Because of us - all of us, the users, the mods, the contributors, the staff. Everyone. It will still live on. In all of us. 

Forever. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 5

Posted (edited)

Gonna miss this place. All the stuff I've learned, all the homies I've met and still keep in touch with today.

It was the first forum I joined and right around the time I started to get really interested in computing rather than just seeing them as something to play games on and I wouldn't have my career without the magazine, the forums, or one of the various IRC channels back in the day.

I'll also fondly remember those times Ben went out to bat for me when my mag subscription would show up a month late even though he probably wasn't the one to talk to (I still have the mug you sent me lol).

I love you all, I'll miss you all, and I should really be more active on discord.

Peace out.

Edited by neoprint
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I came back only to post here in this thread.

I own an IT company. That means I know how to do shit.

Is anyone interested in:

a: regrouping elsewhere?

b: would you trust me to host it and keep your details safe?

If enough people are ok with a) and b), @Ben, how much would the domain cost to buy?

• Like 4
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

g'day Leonid. Yes and Yes.

1 minute ago, Leonid said:

Is anyone interested in:

If enough people are ok with a) and b), @Ben, how much would the domain cost to buy?

I have customers that use Leonid's company and can verify that they are very good and trustworthy.

Just now, LogicprObe said:

I have customers that use Leonid's company and can verify that they are very good and trustworthy.

That's my former company mate. I sold my shares in that one after realising that more than half my working life had been spent building the same cloud with only slightly evolving technologies.

But they're still good people.

I own a different company now, with different good people.

Atomic was the first online community I ever joined, back in the days of dialup. It was a significant part of my formative years and I have fond memories of the discussions I had and the people I met on here.

I pop in occasionally to make sure its still here. Pretty bummed to think its finally going.

Thanks for everything Ben.

• Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

2 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

I think I might have too but I don't know which company is his. 

5 minutes ago, Leonid said:

Is anyone interested in:

Not sure if it'll be required, but I absolutely raise my hand to lend any assistance required.

Just now, Leonid said:

That's my former company mate. I sold my shares in that one after realising that more than half my working life had been spent building the same cloud with only slightly evolving technologies.

But they're still good people.

I own a different company now, with different good people.

Sorry.........I'm behind the times with my absence and all................I'm sure your new Company is just as good, if not better!

1 minute ago, fliptopia said:

I think I might have too but I don't know which company is his. 

Which customer are you talking about?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Leonid said:

Which customer are you talking about?

Not sure but I remember you talking about some real estates on the central coast and I see a lot of real estates around here so it figures that somewhere we might have some crossover. 

I sent you a message at one time asking, in case I could throw some more work your way. 

Edited by fliptopia

Just now, fliptopia said:

Not sure but I remember you talking about some real estates on the central coast and I see a lot of real estates around here so it figures that somewhere we might have some crossover. 

Ah yeah.

McGrath Central Coast franchises.

They're indirect customers through an MSP I do escalation work for.

Thanks for the ride Ben.

The crazy days were awesome, letting me moderate, well you'll have to live with that :)  I have some friends I would not have met if it wasn't for this place and I've been part of some conversations that still make me smile today.

Hell of a ride.

Thanks again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

Just now, Leonid said:

Ah yeah.

McGrath Central Coast franchises.

They're indirect customers through an MSP I do escalation work for.

Ah, yeah. I used to do all them. I don't know the full details of why that changed but I know a lot of things did when they became McGrath. 

Posted (edited)

In order to ensure that our community will live on, we have created a number of places for people to come together and be atomic.  Come, say hi, and pour one out for what came before, and all of those who worked to help create and sustain it. - but especially for Ben.

https://www.reddit.com/r/atOmicans/ will be our home on reddit,  https://www.facebook.com/groups/atOmicans/ will be our place to face our book and https://discord.gg/swKm5vS is our place to hang and chat.

We hope you will be happy there, whichever there you settle upon.  We are looking forward to many more years of togetherness.  Is it Atomic?  Yes, Sir.  Very Atomic!

Edited by Nich...
I spell good
  • Like 4
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 6