Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
hulkster

It's time to spill your guts

1 hour ago, 1shot1kill said:

What's an Alt ?

The key either side of the Spacebar,  Try it with F4, for ultra good times!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, aquilus said:

FWIW (admittedly I was very much an insecure and angry guy at the same time), you definitely seem happier. It's good to see!

We were pretty much giant cunts to each other for a time, and looking back, I can't tell if I'm more likely to laugh or cringe at how self important we were and how pointless it all was.  I'm glad you found your way through to the other side and life has been a lot kinder to you (and you, it).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

interestingly i always see white and gold, but when i scrolled back up to it on the original site, i note that i briefly saw the blue and black before the surrounding sky colour turned it back to white and gold

i actually went "what the fuck !" out loud, but despite several more scrolls in and out i couldn't reproduce the blue / black perception... but for a brief instant there it was as claimed by some; that's really freaky

i read a lot about it at the time, because i couldnt let it go HAHA.  people were doing actual studies on the phenomenon.

some interesting theories about different evolutionary adaptations in perception to colours under varying lighting conditions, but in the end, i settled on it probably being a function of certain screens, display settings, and viewing angles.  i think these factors can move the image into the truly ambiguous territory — and then you have people who've become accustomed to the way their phone skews colours in their photos, who have trained themselves to unconsciously equate bogus screen colours with the actual ones.

here is the same pic you posted with the shadows and highlights dropped, and contrast and saturation boosted.  its a lot closer isnt it?  (and with more severe settings, but zero colour correction, it can be made completely black/blue).

X9so7yy.jpg

Edited by @~thehung

Well, Virt isn't me, so that's one down.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Nich... said:

We were pretty much giant cunts to each other for a time, and looking back, I can't tell if I'm more likely to laugh or cringe at how self important we were and how pointless it all was.  I'm glad you found your way through to the other side and life has been a lot kinder to you (and you, it).

I've done my fair share of both cringing *and* laughing, heh! Personal growth and all that.

Thank you though, I appreciate it. It feels pretty good to have a much better perspective about the whole thing.

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

56 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

i read a lot about it at the time, because i couldnt let it go HAHA.  people were doing actual studies on the phenomenon.

some interesting theories about different evolutionary adaptations in perception to colours under varying lighting conditions, but in the end, i settled on it probably being a function of certain screens, display settings, and viewing angles.  i think these factors can move the image into the truly ambiguous territory — and then you have people who've become accustomed to the way their phone skews colours in their photos, who have trained themselves to unconsciously equate bogus screen colours with the actual ones.

here is the same pic you posted with the shadows and highlights dropped, and contrast and saturation boosted.  its a lot closer isnt it?  (and with more severe settings, but zero colour correction, it can be made completely black/blue).

X9so7yy.jpg

The way I heard it from some people who have replicated the test is that the ambiguous lighting will split people who expect sunlight vs artificial light. They recreated it using crocs and socks using the socks to lead some people to adjust for them being white when they were green (from memory). 

Fenn was intended to be a throwaway 'alt' account. AccessDenied (who I'd been dating for about six months) was posting about something, and telling me about it, and I joined so I could argue with him because he was Very Wrong. I selected the name 'Fenn' because it was both gender neutral and completely different to any other online handles I used. For the first few months Fenn was gender neutral and anonymous, until I spent an entire evening flirting with AD on Atomic and decided I should probably tell him it was me...

I never got so much as a warning from a mod, but I have snogged at least thirty Atomicans. No idea how many tbh. Or who. Probably you. 

Twinnie once posted a thread to harrass AD into proposing to me, which he did about a week later. There were several pages of posts asking if I was pregnant yet, and if not get on with it. Ironically, I didn't know it at the time but I was pregnant already.

The only alt I remember is /bump which I created to announce that I was six months pregnant and in a little bit of shock. /bump is now almost 11 and posts under the handle Minininja. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

8 hours ago, Fenn said:

Minininja

Kids handles..... you better hope he stays short or small in stature... Or turns out a muscle building brute, so the name is ironic....

But if he's 'normal' ohhh boy, changing a handle is hard work!

• Like 1

Just now, Master_Scythe said:

Kids handles..... you better hope he stays short or small in stature... Or turns out a muscle building brute, so the name is ironic....

In under a month the point will be entirely moot 😞 He changes his nickname on Discord more often than Lunchbox changes his avatar, and he ain't on FB at all!

4 minutes ago, Master_Scythe said:

ChildofChaos has been and will always remain, in oh SO many ways, a child of chaos wherever he may be. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's also the small issue of 'normal'. The children of Atomic were never offered that as an option, I guess. It's Geek Or GTFO for our kiddoes, and they all turned out pretty much gorgeous, brilliant humans ❤️

Further confession: my kid is actually posting on Atomic as Raven101 and I forgot his handle... Quality Parenting(TM)

• Haha 4
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

On 5/16/2020 at 6:12 PM, The Fuzz damn you! said:

Some of my more... nostalgic memories of being a mod involve me trying to figure out who your next alt was. Any new member (or an old, barely-active member with a suspiciously new posting style) posting in "Audio" was a pretty big red flag.

Good times...

Here is just one page of my 'little black book'.........

944363971_logbookresize.jpg.22ebd6f77c891415e8ccf55ba8a4683d.jpg

• Haha 6

20 hours ago, Fenn said:

I never got so much as a warning from a mod, but I have snogged at least thirty Atomicans. No idea how many tbh. Or who. Probably you. 

My tally is a big fat zero, except for my now ex-husband, but I introduced him to the place after we got together so that doesn't count. 

Just think, if even one of you ever kissed me before I met him then my life might have been so much better...or worse. Maybe I should never dwell on that thought! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Fenn said:

There's also the small issue of 'normal'. The children of Atomic were never offered that as an option, I guess. It's Geek Or GTFO for our kiddoes, and they all turned out pretty much gorgeous, brilliant humans ❤️

Oh fuck no.

My girls are not going into IT.

Nope. No fucken' way.

• Like 2

🙂

Being 2008 I trust those are all obsolete ?  🙂

Cheers

On 5/19/2020 at 10:53 AM, Fenn said:

I can see how that is going to play out here  and I think you're right, Fenn  😄

My daughter is 4.5 years old, so she has no interest in computers yet. But she's already a huge fan of Doctor Who, The Lord Of The Rings, and she likes dancing to anime theme songs. Just today she started showing interest in Ghost In The Shell. Definitely a little geek in training here 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elvenwhore said:

Just today she started showing interest in Ghost In The Shell.

The Netflix version is utter shite imo... get her the original if you don't already have it .

Bloody hell all set to watch it on Netflix the other night and I barely made it past the opening music .... and then the auto -robo fighters ?!?  oh my, I did not go further  ... but I guess to a four.5er that would be different .

... and really four and a half years have gone by since you produced  a mini elven ! 😲

No alts on this version of the forum.

None of note on earlier versions, nor do I ever recall getting banned.

I guess I played nice?

• Like 1

I have to admit that my mind always read Elven as Eleven. 

And then Stranger Things became a thing. 

And then someone linked me to CDAN at work, and so i started reading that. 

And now I'm back here and I see ElevenWhore and I'm all "it might be time to stick a pin it it". 

17 hours ago, eveln said:

The Netflix version is utter shite imo... get her the original if you don't already have it .

Bloody hell all set to watch it on Netflix the other night and I barely made it past the opening music .... and then the auto -robo fighters ?!?  oh my, I did not go further  ... but I guess to a four.5er that would be different .

... and really four and a half years have gone by since you produced  a mini elven ! 😲

I made it thought 2045 but, yeah, made it through 😕 Probably a good thing to pull the pin, save yourself from watching what they did to poor Togusa 😞 

But yeah, classic and original all the way! 🙂 We have the dvds and she loves the credits. The problem with her being into Big People stuff is that I have to censor and either be quick on the FF button, or know what's in each episode 😄  But a scene here and there, she's loving it so far.

16 hours ago, Juggalo Scrub said:

I have to admit that my mind always read Elven as Eleven. 

And then Stranger Things became a thing. 

And then someone linked me to CDAN at work, and so i started reading that. 

And now I'm back here and I see ElevenWhore and I'm all "it might be time to stick a pin it it". 

I like to ruin things 🙂 

Well this thread has been a friggin' revelation. I feel like a kid who's just been told what mummy and daddy were up to whenever he got sent to grandma's for the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2