Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
redrob

Asus ROG Strix G531 OR. TUF A 15 R7

Posted (edited)

OK I've got a credit I can get each of these laptops the same price around $1.600 from J. B. What are you guys thoughts please. 

Edited by redrob

@redrob they're two laptops, right? 

If we don't know what you want to do with them, then we're going to be giving opinions based on what we'd use them for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nich... said:

What are you using it for?

Gday mate how are you Nich  it's been a long time since we had a chat. I've been living in Philippines on the last year. The cat knocked my old laptop of the table crushed the side, I ordered a chumi from Crima, before the lock down it arrived in Perth my dear mum picked it up I said please just bag it and tye a knot in the bag. Then we just arrived last week. I said my laptop please mum. Huh you told me to bag it and bin 🤣🤣🤣 Mate I just want a good laptop I can play my loaded steam games. There getting a bit old now. Skyrim, whitcher 3.something about dead lol and watching you tube movies. No heavy stuff. 

Yes mate 2 similar laptops 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ouch, that's a double dose of bad luck.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/asus-tuf-gaming-a15-r7-15-6-fhd-144hz-gaming-laptop-512gb

This looks nice.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/asus-rog-strix-g531-15-6-120hz-full-hd-gaming-laptop-i7

I can't see this because the page 404s.  I can peek at it's cached version tho'.

I'd be inclined to get the TUF.  Latest generation AMD chip, slightly better GPU, twice the RAM.  It's also a year newer. 

• Like 1

Cheers Nich thanks mate. I must be more of a geek than I thought lol. That's exactly what I was thinking. 😎😎

OK so I got my new laptop from JB But the user manual is so basic. No details even how to change the led back lights on the key board. As this is the FX 506i  model I can not find info on this model. I've checked the device manager as well and I can see 2 display adapters, and only 1hard drive it's supposed to be an SSD that's what it says on JB add. Another thing the battery seems to drain very fast. From being full in 1hour is now at 82% I only did a mcafee scan and super anti spyware scan, is this normal, I read were the battery has been upgraded. Does anyone know where I can get info on this model as the Asus site dosnt have much 

7 minutes ago, redrob said:

OK so I got my new laptop from JB But the user manual is so basic. No details even how to change the led back lights on the key board.

Can they be? Lots of laptops have backlighting, not RGB.

Otherwise, if it's not an obvious key combo, it'll be some software from the manufacturers website.

I've checked the device manager as well and I can see 2 display adapters, and only 1hard drive it's supposed to be an SSD that's what it says on JB add

You googled the part number and it's a HDD?

There are a lot of variations; lots of gaming series have HDD's because gamers want space for games.

Another thing the battery seems to drain very fast. From being full in 1hour is now at 82% I only did a mcafee scan and super anti spyware scan, is this normal, I read were the battery has been upgraded.

That's incredibly good! You did two tasks that stress the storage system to it's max, along with CPU and RAM, and only lost 20%?

That also suggest more than 4 hours of battery life!!!

Super good.

Does anyone know where I can get info on this model as the Asus site dosnt have much 

When I go to it, it has absolute shit loads!

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A15/HelpDesk_Manual/

• Like 2

Wowwww  Awesome Master _Scythe Thanks man think I was looking in the wrong place for info. I'll add a pic of the device manager showing hard drive. Any idea of the difference between between the FC 506L or is it I or 1 ?I 

Nope, there'll be tons of minor differences based on build options, and region it's purchased.

When it comes to laptops, you just need to look at the main model (A15)

• Thanks 1

I would assume that software to control the keyboard lighting would be some unified Asus thing.  Motherboard makers love doing that shit, but at least on a laptop they can actually make better use of it because they control the hardware included.

But yeah I think my work laptop has a function key combo to turn its keyboard backlight on and off.

Also, gaming laptops aren't designed to be power sippers.  They'll chug.  An hour on 20% usage tho' is pretty good - that's 5 hrs of non-trivial usage.  The only thing that might drain it faster is cranking the graphics in a game.

• Thanks 1

Awesome thanks guys great info as usual. So far love it. It's super quick to download. I downloaded  skyrim from my steam library in 20 mins .Got to do whitcher 3yet then I can test it out. Any thing I should do I've followed make windows 10 faster with Briotec  .Ive never had a laptop so any tips be shit hot

Never play on a soft surface, always have a stable-table or something under it.

If it IS a hard drive, not an SSD, be a little bit 'precious' about moving it while it's switched on, there's centrifugal force going on in there, don't shock the drive. Dont PANIC about it, they're not delicate, just be aware of it.

If it's an ssd, just swing it around like a briefcase, who cares 😛 

If it's off, bash it as much as you wish 😛 

Spend some time in the "power" control panel, because you can save battery and gain performance where and when you want.

Assuming you'll always be on power cord when you game, I always max out the "plugged in" settings, and set very conservative settings for "On battery".

One cool trick is to set "Maximum CPU" while on battery, to 99%, this will stop the CPU from EVER turboing, keeping things cooler, saving a LOT of battery power, and honestly, unless the game is CPU intensive, probably won't stop you playing anything!

Edited by Master_Scythe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

😂 Thanks Mate Cheers for your help. I did find out it is SSD .But thanks for the great tips. Is it OK to keep the charger plugged in while gaming unlike a phone ? This keeps cool as I've felt other laptops. And there warm to hot. 

Edited by redrob

With modern batteries there should be no issues leaving it pluged in, for a phone or a laptop.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Is this one you got?

Gday mate long time no here. Hope your well.  yep that's the one ,I found this video before I saw your post, Thanks anyway. seems a bit weird as mines only 150w power charger. Not sure of the size of the battery. 

Weird my Acer Predator G3-571 has 180W, you'd think a gaming laptop needs a extra juice when hitting full load especially if the GPU ramps up.

• Confused 1