Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

A Snowbird crash in Canada

Whilst preparing for some morale boosting flyovers a RCAF Tutor aircraft has crashed on Kamloops BC.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/canadian-air-force-jet-crashes-into-home-reports-one-dead/news-story/8fb0f90dea5544ebd2495da4557ef98b#itm=newscomau|news|right-now-in-|0|Canada plane crash%3A Air Force jet crashes into home%2C one dea...|index|world&itmt=1589769813613

I have friends in that town so glad no one was hurt on the ground but sorry for the pilot.

To be honest I was a bit startled to see they are still operating the Tutor, it's very similar to the British Provost that was retired years ago. Apparently they date back to 1963, 57  years is a bloody long time for a jet to be in continuous use.

Cheers

The joys of having an air base near your home ... applies to me LOL

Hmm,

Me too in a way, although it is the other side of town.

The last crash of note in Darwin was a Mirage off Vesty Beach about 1970 or so, probably means you are due one 🙂

Cheers

Knowing my luck some stupid US plane will drop something in my yard.

Well you do have the Marines taking up residence, not sure if that includes their air assets though.

Cheers

Weird one that. Sounded like a flameout in the engine in level flight. Pilot immediately commence a climbing left turn I assume to gain altitude to try and make a return to base but the aircraft stalled, rolled and crashed. The crew ejected just in the nick of time

Sadly only half the crew Ivan and the survivor is busted up.

I really do not know, the video was distant and jerky, it looked like structural failure, if the engine failed the crew ought to have looked to level out and look for a landing straight ahead - the biggest no-no is trying to RTB but crews do instinctively still try.

Cheers