Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SquallStrife

Your old rigs

PMSL.  The things we used to do.

Sort of embarrasingly, I've actually still got a couple of my old rigs, or at least the major components of them.  Oldest one being the last 32-bit Athlon system I replaced in 2006.  Will attempt to dig up and/or take photos at a later time.

Funny how for a time it was the trend to just overbuild - the more fans the better, and better still if you had a fan controller and better still if there were lights everywhere.

I decided to go much more minimalist a few years back.  My old manual fan controller (fits 5.25 bay) that has colour display for temp and speed monitoring is in a box somewhere.  My desktop machine, though encased in an oversized box intended as a carryable LAN party beast has the bare essentials.  No tuner/capture card any more, haven't used a sound card since about 2005.  The only things considered "extra" are the removable drive drawer and hotswap bay, the intention there being to run 100% SSDs and just turn on the mech drive when I want to move stuff around.

The old Athlon XP system - I actually used it again as my main PC for a time in 2014.  I'd pulled down the main machine for overhaul and just stopped and not bothered to continue for the best part of 9 months.  Tried to get it going again a few years ago but I think the board and graphics card have failed.

From back around 2002\3 2.4c, 9700NP, BH5 RAM, Raid0 74GB raptors I believe and the PSU 3.3v line was vmoded to 3.7v to allow extra juice to OC the RAM.

Edit: The Raptors went released till 2004 so this must be a more recent picture maybe just before I upgraded in 2004\5 so the CPU could be 3.2E or Pentium mobile with a socket adapter.

From memory the 9700 NP was overclocked from 275MHz to 415MHz with a vmod.

antec%201080.jpg

DSC-0169-jpg-original.jpg

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

Still running water but been through a few changes since then.

Also made a new bench for the system out of a slab of Redgum which is just a tad nicer.

20171109_130629.jpg

Although it doesn't always look that neat.

temp%20test%201x120%20vs%204x120.jpg

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

image.png

At that LAN, my case had a bunch of those plastic drive bay inserts that I decided would be a nice home for the sticker.

That may actually be all that's left of my PC from back then 🤔

• Like 1

That second photo of Dasa's looks like mine upstairs right now.

Been like it for months now and the Missus is on my case.

(she initially thought it had exploded!)

• Haha 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Dasa: You got anywhere else you post? I'm going to miss your shit when this is all done and wrapped up

4 hours ago, Khirareq said:

Dasa: You got anywhere else you post? I'm going to miss your shit when this is all done and wrapped up

You won't last long at whirlpool, Khir.

I'm only allowed to view and post in the Tech sections over there....................since the felching incident..................

• Haha 1

Moved my build log over to OCAU so it is not lost.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/project-darkling-older-build-logs.1283454/

Those forums can be a little quiet at times to though and always seems to have some fanatical fanboys so I spend a lot of time in the tech section over at whirpool where there is a abundance of noobs in need of help.

There is also a option for a dark OCAU theme in the lower left corner.

Some of you may enjoy this thread over at OCAU.

"Tight & Lazy"... The Ghetto Mod Thread

I rather like this fanless cooling tower from it

tower.jpg

Also keep a eye on the memory section here.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

Early in Atomic history I remember a bunch of us from here spamming it up over at OCAU and getting banned.

1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

Early in Atomic history I remember a bunch of us from here spamming it up over at OCAU and getting banned.

Yeah but that's pretty much you on every platform.

• Confused 1