Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
fredzfrog

Atomic Origins

What was your beginnings in the house of green and black?

Mine: I was at uni, late 2002, and had made friends with another student. We were wanting to set up a network between our computers. I was heading home for the weekend, and needed something to read on my journey. Sitting there in the newsagent, was a cool looking pc mag with a CD full of networking stuff! Score! Signed up for the forums later on, and you've all been stuck with me ever since!

Computer at the time:
Athlon XP 2000+
gForce 2 MX200
either 256 or 512mb ram.

15" CRT

CD burner (essential for those long train rides!)

"Nokia" style case 😄

Computer(s) now:
Desktop:

Intel i5 2500
16GB ram

27" monitor
Basicly a filestore nowadays, but it has its advantages 🙂

Laptop:

Metabox N850HJ

i7 7700HQ
16GB ram
1050GTX
Atomic sticker 😄

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

High school Digital Media class - would have been around 15 or 16 at the time, which would put it in 2001. I went to school with a couple of guys who browsed the forums and ended up wanting to see what it was they were up to. The rest is history.

• Like 1

Was with the mag from issue one.  I came in here initially near the beginning of the "Green Code" thing, and decided it wasn't my bag.  I came back when it went free access, lurked for a bit off and on, then finally joined to post something about temperature scales in response to 1shot.

Comp then: no idea.

Comp now:

- i5 @3.6GHz

- GeForce 1080ti

-  32GB RAM

- 1.8TB SSD + 240GB m2 swap

- big (forgotten measurement) ultrawide curved ASUS

- cheapshit headphones + monitor's speakers (doesn't do it justice, but I'm half deaf so I can't hear the difference)

• Like 1

I was user #79 on the forums. I was 15 or 16.

Back then I had a PC.

Now I hate the fucking things. Give me an iPad any day, and leave me alone.

(I can't wait for how grumpy I'm gonna be at 60)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hmmmm year 10 maybe? So 2003 a guy in my class at school badgered me to join this great forum he was on about computers. Said I'd really like it despite me really only using computers for social media or games if my brother was home to play CS or Doom with me.

He badgered and badgered and eventually for some unknown reason I joined the forum and I bloody loved it. Found a really fun bunch of people to laugh with and ended up going to BBQs and Beerathons and had a wild time with you crazy cats.

Thanks for badgering me setagllib 🙂

Edited by NeSsIe
Grammar
  • Like 2

I sort of followed Ben from Hyper to PCPP.  2000 and I was at uni and finally had an internet connection at home, and found a home in #pcpp on IRC with my neighbour, @Joelz

At some point we heard Ben was launching a new magazine, and all kind of jumped onto the forums to see what it was all about.  I never really went back to PCPP's forums much after the first few months, I guess.  IRC was also where I met a bunch of reprobates like @ReapermanRS @.optimus. and @funnelbc I think

• Like 3

Walt was trying to make me aware of the wonders of computers and what one could do  ... he thought it would be fun for me to be a part of this amazingly fun and scary ( to me )  place known as at0mic. 9th February 2009.

• Like 1

As I stated elsewhere, the arrival of Atomic coincided with a bit of a resurgence in my computing interest.

Shortly before all I had was my old Atari stuff (8-bit and an ST), a C64 and an Amiga.  And a PS original that had stopped working properly.

My PC was a '386 that had been given to me a while before and barely got used.

I was in the process of packing to move to where I am now in late 2000.  The real estate agent who was to sell the house I was in came to look around, get description and take pictures noticed I had various bits of computer stuff laying about and mentioned he had a computer at home that he'd replaced recently.

He said "I was told the hard drive was stuffed".  At the time I had no idea that "hard drive" was an expression that uninformed people used to describe the entire contents of the PC case.  So, I took up his offer - he gave me his address and I turned up to pick up the gear.

It was a Celeron 466 (Socket 370) which at the time would be considered probably low of midrange.   Nothing special graphics, and yep it all worked and the out of order part was in fact it's 4 Gig hard drive.

That became my system for a while.  I think I even managed to fix the HDD with SeaTools, and added it to the 6 Gig drive I already had laying around, added a 3Dfx that my brother had parted with and next thing you know I had an almost credible gaming computer!

I toyed with the idea of upgrading or buying new about the time AtomicMPC mag started.  Since it was S370 you could have put a Pentium 3 into it, though at the time P3 800s were still somewhat pricey as a part.

I also had some other gear I'd had for a while and built a couple of K6-500 systems and sold them off.  Almost tempted to keep one but they were about a match for the Celeron and I preferred to sell and get something better.

As it happened, I think the first mag's article was about the pencil trick on Thunderbird Athlons which gave me some insight into them and their relative performance vs Intel gear.

So, decision was fairly easy - I bought a motherboard and Duron 800 CPU.  Can't remember the exact date but I'd guess March 2001.

The Duron was used for gaming, and I soon got a TNT2 card in place of the 3DFX.  I think it got sold off with one of the K6 machines.  I got into stuff like video capture and transcoding and soon got hungry for more CPU grunt.

In the probably several years to come I was constantly upgrading stuff and I think it was less than 6 months in between the Duron and getting an Athlon 1200.  The 100 MHz FSB one as I had a povvo Gigabyte cheapie board that only had the bare KT133 chipset (not the A suffixed one which handled 133 MHz FSB)

In the months after that, DVD reader, bigger HDDs and the occasional graphics card update.  I bought an Epox motherboard with KT133A as well, and happily my Athlon 1200 was able to run out of the box at 133 FSB as it was factory unlocked.   The last 32 bit CPU in my main PC was an Athlon XP/M which I still have here somewhere.  And had a 2400XP as an interim.

I dragged the chain getting into the 64-bit scene.  Got an Athlon 64 off someone here in mid 2006 I think it was.  Not a quick one, 2.2 I think.  It was barely a 20% improvement over what I already had.  Not mega impressed but have to say it and the MSI motherboard made for a refreshing change insofar as being quiet and rock solid stable (remember when BSOD was a daily expectation almost ? )

At around the same time, I remember here in early 2007 the Core2 craze was full on.  I jealously viewed the benches.  I was amazed that something virtually the same speed as my A64 just whipped it's arse in single threaded benches, let alone multi-threaded.

So, I went to a computer fair and eyed off an Opteron dual core for about $200 but salivated at the Core 2s that were at the table opposite.

Money down, Core2 Duo E6420 and motherboard to suit.

That would have been about May 2007 I think.

Now here's the funny bit.  That's the last brand new CPU I ever bought (ignoring the Atom in my Windows Intel Pendo Pad)

That Core2 lasted me until I bought Squidy's Core2 Quad 6600, probably around 2010-11.  And that did me until about 2016.

Since then, had a Dell Precision 3500 workstation (1st gen i7 based Xeon quad) as my main machine for a little while.

Bought most of my current Haswell i7-4790 system as a parts deal in early 2017.

Rough spec difference of now vs then.  Atomic start vs Atomic finish:

CPU:  Single core 466 MHz vs Quad Core ~ 4,000 MHz

Graphics:  3DFX 32 Meg (?) vs GTX 950 2 Gig

RAM:  128 Meg (?) vs 24 Gig

HDD:  ~ 10 Gig vs ~ 1.2 TB SSDs + 4 TB internal archive

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Posted (edited)

1.4 tbird (pencilled)

NFI about ram/hdd/etc

GF2MX400(? sounds about right?)

Grabbed a HX08. 

Some thermaltake(?) wc kit i picked up from someone cheap at a lan. 

Black and red spray paint. Case window.  a "ThunderTube" 12v "lightening rod" that i removed the mic from the casing and hooked up to a headphone jack to get pulsing sounds based on the sound card (so much so that I was complained about for cheating at a CANCON before it moved to EPIC). 

And a CRT heavier than your mum HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Edited by Juggalo Scrub
  • Haha 1

Just now, Juggalo Scrub said:

And a CRT heavier than your mum HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's quite impressive Juggs. We're talking the crushinator from Futurama then?

• Haha 1

GF2MX-400 - yep, had one of them.  Along with the 8600GT I had later would have to rate as the 2 most underwhelming cards I owned.

Threw out my last 1 or 2 CRT monitors.  Though I still have an Atari ST monochrome monitor, Amiga's 1084S, my 14" CRT TV from 1984 and a 12 Volt 5 inch CRT packed away.

6 minutes ago, NeSsIe said:

That's quite impressive Juggs. We're talking the crushinator from Futurama then?

A gentleman never tells. 

Me tho? 

• Haha 2

Was 2002, I was in year 10 at high school.

My bf at the time was an Atomican  who was featured in Issue 25's HotBox comp. I bought the magazine initially to support him, but I ended up reading the magazine and found the forums. I joined and started posting!  I have always had geeky interests, Im not so much into tech and hardware but I do love my anime and gaming. I didnt know people like you guys in real life, so it was really fun to step into this world after school every day. 

I dont know what my PC was at the time - whatever my mum had lol. It weighed a tonne carrying it to SGL plus the CRT monitor...ughhh!! I was also on dial up internet with Dodo for many many years until I moved out of home lol. Wasnt a great rig but it did the job. I did have Windows XP though.

• Like 2

Read the mag, joined the forum. Have been roundly ignored ever since. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Teh interweb connection.  Fark.

Then - shitty dialup - Optus prepaid for a time, Dodo for a short time that was still too long.  I had a TPG Niterider account that gave you free access from midnight to 8am which caused more than a few all-nighters.

56k FTL.  Or more realisticallly, 50k.

Now - I stuck with TPG after choosing them for ADSL around 2004.  8 mbps then about 12 when it went to ADSL2+ and now NBN at about just under 50.  So about a 1000x improvement there.

Still remember my biggest dialup download.  Fairly sure it was a dodgy Half Life 2 copy, around 2.4 Gig.  Not sure if it was eMule or a torrent.  But took the best part of a fortnight to arrive.

• Like 1

It was 2003. I was a 31yo single mother with a 7yo daughter. 

I was beginning my studies in IT - Cert I (yes, you read right) which was a basic class mostly filled with seniors. 

There was a link to Atomic in a list they gave us for places to go for technical help.

I came, I saw, I stayed. I ended up with a Diploma in Systems Administration and a Cert IV in Network Support and was very present here during those years. However, when Ben passed Atomic on and traffic waned, I waned with it. I moved on and never did do much with my technical qualifications. 

When I joined I had a Pentium 4 1.6GHz. I can't remember the rest of the specs but they were basic. I was never a gamer.

You can look at my tag line to see what I have now. Meh.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

according to my profile i joined the forum in september 2008

i don't even know how i got here, but i had been into computing since ~ 1991 when i spend a huge fortune on a 386-25dx to run windows 3.0

then a 486 - 66, and then a 486 -100

then a pentium...  all but the first were upgrades by the mad local russian nerds who had a "shop" upstairs in a rather decrepit building in dee why

but then after reading magazines (maybe atomic, maybe not... i honestly can't recall)  i finally chose all the parts for my first bespoke "new" machine :

t'bred b xp2200+ (unlocked) and a zalman flower cooler (that big fan one)/ 2x256mb corsair ram (bh5!) / msi board that was swapped out for an asus a7n8x deluxe / fx5200 video  / 20gig + 80gb hdd's

got my first tastes of overclocking using fsb with the ram at 200 and the multi to hit 2ghz

that was me gone... i later moved up to the unlocked mobile xp2500-m and pumped it

next came socket 939, which got me as eventually as far as an opteron 165 that happily held a 50% overclock (2.7ghz) and benched to over 3ghz (inder the mighty thermalright si97a with that industrial fan can't recall the name right now - that was deafening) - not too shabby for a cpu rated at 1.8ghz

am2 was nowhere near as much fun, but kept me keen until core2duo bloomed and i eventually moved back to the darkside and got an e3120 (server version of the wolfdale) that ran a stable 3.6ghz for ages and eventually got replaced with a quad core that i found in a box on council e-waste day 🙂

that lasted till i eventually bought a used 2500k, which stayed in a new z77 board till a friend donated a 2600k about a year or so back

and only a month ago or so, i finally bounced back to the green team and bought the ryzen

between the  t'bred  build and the ryzen build, the e3120 was my only brand new cpu, and the z77 was my only brand new board - everything came used off here or ocau forum sales; i'm pretty sure my first high end 939 board was from one of the mods here, and he refunded me when it was doa (sadly for us both)

this is my first computer in over 25 years that's been run at stock speed....  don't except that to remain the case forever, but i have yet to grok the mystery of infinity fabric

in all that time i have been a keen gamer, from the barely 3d rendering of f15 strike eagle (which compelled me to spend $200 for a sound blaster 16), through a 2 night download fest to grab the almost 2mb that was wolfenstein 3d over a dial in bulletin board on my 2400baud rate modem)

moved on to most fps shooters and flight games i could procure, and started unlocking and clocking video when i managed to unlock all the cores and shaders on a used xfx6800gs from ocau - pimping it to a full 6800 ultra - using riva tuner ... that was 2008, after i had salivated over the 6600 as an option for a few years but eventually didn't regret the procrastination

worked my way through nvidia up till the 9600gt, then jumped to amd with the release of the hd5770 - my first brand new video since the fx5200... stayed with amd through a few generations till i got a gtx760 as a crossgrade, and eventually changed that for a gtx1060 6gb, which is still gaming tonight (farcy 5 - the story is lame, but the visuals are pretty good)

mostly these days i have the occasional blitz of rise of flight (beautiful to look at), and some mayhem on borderlands, but i'm not the keen gamer i once was - fps is stiill occasional fun, but the current vogue for third person view games (what's that all about ?) don't interest me at all

Edited by scruffy1

XP/M 2500 - that's the one I've got.  Not sure what the stock clock speed was supposed to be but ran mine dynamically multiplier controlled at 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 GHz (or something like that )

Didn't get my best Athlon32 OC on it, from memory it'd do about 2.35 but the XP2400 got nearer to 2.4.

Joined in.... some time in 2002 I think. I had recently left high school over what I now recognise were mental health issues, stemming from Autism.

I needed a non-judgemental place to fit in. I had recently started reading Atomic magazine, since seeing copies of it floating around at LAN parties. I felt accepted here from the word go, among people that live and breathe computers the way I did!

The computer I had at that time was a meagre Pentium 4 with a GeForce 3 Ti 200, built from hand-me-down bits and pieces from my dad. 

I posted some photos of it here:

When I got a job in 2003, I finally had the money to start upgrading.

First I went to a DDR Pentium 4, a 2.4GHz Northwood with a GeForce FX 5600. Left dissatisfied, and tired of the ribbing from forumites and IRL friends alike for having a P4, I jumped to AMD.

It looked something like this

AthlonXP 2800+ Barton

Asus A7V600 mobo

512MB RAM

Sapphire Radeon 9800XT

And that's where my love of overclocking really took off.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nich... said:

I sort of followed Ben from Hyper to PCPP.  2000 and I was at uni and finally had an internet connection at home, and found a home in #pcpp on IRC with my neighbour, @Joelz

At some point we heard Ben was launching a new magazine, and all kind of jumped onto the forums to see what it was all about.  I never really went back to PCPP's forums much after the first few months, I guess.  IRC was also where I met a bunch of reprobates like @ReapermanRS @.optimus. and @funnelbc I think

Wow those names bring back memories. Both the #pcpp and #atomicmpc IRC channels were so much fun back in the day, I was much more active there than either forum. I wonder where all those IRC guys are now....

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Joelz said:

Wow those names bring back memories. Both the #pcpp and #atomicmpc IRC channels were so much fun back in the day, I was much more active there than either forum. I wonder where all those IRC guys are now....

You'll see some on Discord, at least.