Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
fredzfrog

Atomic Origins

I remember picking up issue 2 at an airport newsagent for something to read on a flight to perth, I was just a baby faced kid back then, must have only been 13 or 14 at the time. I managed to read the whole thing from cover to cover and back again over the next week and started buying it every month after that. I remember reading early PCPP mags in the school library but the new ones had lost their charm, atomic had that charm, it took me longer than I cared to admit that it was the editor at large steering a ship of creatives and writers with a cohesive vision to pull of something as magical as atomic.

I joined the forums a couple of months after that and from there it was just sitting hitting refresh so often the paint on the f5 key started to wear through. The forums were so lively then that every afternoon through to the night the conversations would never stop. It was certainly a coming of age moment for me and helped galvanise my love for computers. I had started with a 1ghz p3, blazing away for a while until it started to get left behind. Then sometime after the dual CPU issue, I managed to convince my parents somehow to help me buy one, significantly topping up whatever money I could pool into it to have 2 athlon 2600+ XP's with a pencil bridge to allow them to work with 2 processors. The OG dual core. I ended up water cooling the whole system with a radeon 9700 to drive it, that thing was a beast that served me well for many years to come. I still have nightmares about chipping the corner off a bare die before AMD had integrated heat spreaders and my watercooling pipe of choice was too stiff, causing the block to not sit quite square.

Now I'm on a i5-6600k and a R570 graphics card, struggling to play VR so very seriously due for an upgrade.

• Like 2
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

I think I was June 2001.  About the same time as Chaos.

I read a lot in the beginning, nutting out whether this was the place and the people for me. 

Didnt take long to realise it was the right place at the right time .I needed this community.

As for the computer at the time I have no fucking idea.  I was upgrading at every opportunity back then. Any reason was a good reason.

My now Ex wife never did understand this place or the draw it had on people.  She hated my long hours on the forums, but then she hated anything I enjoyed.

Both my kids grew up as nerds and they blame me. I blame Atomic  🙂

I was Heroed in late 2001 I think and Superhero'd a couple of years later. I modded for a few years ( About 5 I think? )

I shared my life with you guys for nearly 20 years. My divorce, my failed relationships, the death of my parents, my own health issues. 

But I have always tried to have fun here, tried hard to never take things to seriously or to heart.

It's been the right place for me for a long time. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Rybags said:

XP/M 2500 - that's the one I've got.  Not sure what the stock clock speed was supposed to be but ran mine dynamically multiplier controlled at 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 GHz (or something like that )

Didn't get my best Athlon32 OC on it, from memory it'd do about 2.35 but the XP2400 got nearer to 2.4.

mine ran at 2500 consistently

but i did procure an xp-m 2400+ later that booted at > 2.7, which i eventually sent to mr. scott who at one time (maybe still)  held the 2nd fastest socket 462 world record with a different chip

that was over at extreme overclocking forums, back when i was a bona fide member of that niche group of internationals who later shook the cage at hotbot before that site went too commercial

here's some memories : https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=269052

Scruffy1/XP-M2400/NF7-S @2781   😄

Edited by scruffy1
  • Like 1

Too long ago to remember though I'm pretty sure it was through the Atomic magazine and I was a much younger man back then, didn't even had kids yet. 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

I came here to pick up chicks 

There are no chicks on the Internet.

I worked that out after the 17th cybersex session with a 18/f/Cali who turned out to 55/m/fatsoville.

15 minutes ago, Leonid said:

There are no chicks on the Internet.

I worked that out after the 17th cybersex session with a 18/f/Cali who turned out to 55/m/fatsoville.

Hey!  Im 56 !!

I probably could have gotten more out of my Athlons if I gave them more voltage.  From memory I was fairly conservative there.  Problem now is I don't think I've got a properly working motherboard to be able to give it a good workout.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hulkster said:

Hey!  Im 56 !!

And hung like a horse if I remember correctly.

I was having a beer with twinny, he told me about a dude on his new forum talking some shit about windows security and how bulletproof it was, Lancer2k it was, he asked if I wanted to play, "We're gonna make him cry". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

stumbled into the IRC channel one day and the rest is history heh....

had no idea what a forum was at the time, nor that the whole shamozzle was based around a mag... i think i started getting the mag while the volume numbers were still in the single digits though, and i do recall backordering to #1, though i am not sure exactly when i stopped buying the mag... and i've got no idea where my collection actually ended up, heh... 

• Like 4

I came to this computer thingery, late in life , I'm 63 in June so was

about 45 or so when I bought My first computer.

A couple of years earlier  I decided a bloke should be learn-en this

stuff.

Was a total Luddite , In regional FNQ not really nerdland, didn't trust the sales folks to talk true .

Couldn't ask the people I knew/ my age group, they didnt have a clue,

couldn't ask the young folks who had a clue/ you know looks bad old fuckenz hanging 

the young lings.

What to do how to get a clue , I thought I should start small so I bought a N64 with the memory pack.

Cause I thought it would be a cheap place to start, It worked I had to navigate menus save things load things.

Zelda OOT Gold cartridge and Turock 2 Seeds of Evil  got me into gaming as well .

Buoyed by my success I started reading computer mags, I had no clue what they were gibbering about

Ram HDD  Giga Mega Kilo thingzses , I entered a grey fog that slowly cleared over time.

Bought the First Issues of Atomic and gave Evelyn the T shirt, before I  even had a computer .

Got a Pioneer white box. 750mhz Duron , 250 megs ram, 5gig HDD, 16 mb oem Graphics card,

2x CD rw yes a rather tame system but it got me started. I was on a budget .

Trying to play the bundled Game DeusX,  Man it was like a slide show.

Fortunately  The Green Atomic glow had touched me.

I probably had 4 or so issues and a brand new computer  when I first came to the Forums.

I soon was fiddling with my system , by the time UT2003 then UT2004

came out I was running, none of the original system had survived the green treatment.

My system ran UT2004 at "Holey! Shit!" settings, I was most chuffed

when I heard that the first time. hehehe

The green room was an eye opener, I spent so much time here , to

say it changed my life is the mother of all understatements.  

😎

• Like 3
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 4

12 hours ago, Leonid said:

And hung like a horse if I remember correctly.

You need to talk to scruffy about that memory of yours...  😞

7 hours ago, Waltish said:

I came to this computer thingery, late in life , I'm 63 in June so was

about 45 or so when I bought My first computer.

A couple of years earlier  I decided a bloke should be learn-en this

stuff.

Was a total Luddite , In regional FNQ not really nerdland, didn't trust the sales folks to talk true .

Couldn't ask the people I knew/ my age group, they didnt have a clue,

couldn't ask the young folks who had a clue/ you know looks bad old fuckenz hanging 

the young lings.

What to do how to get a clue , I thought I should start small so I bought a N64 with the memory pack.

Cause I thought it would be a cheap place to start, It worked I had to navigate menus save things load things.

Zelda OOT Gold cartridge and Turock 2 Seeds of Evil  got me into gaming as well .

Buoyed by my success I started reading computer mags, I had no clue what they were gibbering about

Ram HDD  Giga Mega Kilo thingzses , I entered a grey fog that slowly cleared over time.

Bought the First Issues of Atomic and gave Evelyn the T shirt, before I  even had a computer .

Got a Pioneer white box. 750mhz Duron , 250 megs ram, 5gig HDD, 16 mb oem Graphics card,

2x CD rw yes a rather tame system but it got me started. I was on a budget .

Trying to play the bundled Game DeusX,  Man it was like a slide show.

Fortunately  The Green Atomic glow had touched me.

I probably had 4 or so issues and a brand new computer  when I first came to the Forums.

I soon was fiddling with my system , by the time UT2003 then UT2004

came out I was running, none of the original system had survived the green treatment.

My system ran UT2004 at "Holey! Shit!" settings, I was most chuffed

when I heard that the first time. hehehe

The green room was an eye opener, I spent so much time here , to

say it changed my life is the mother of all understatements.  

😎

You sir, are a true Atomican. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I am, You are, We are Atomican. 😎

Insert Atomican  at the right spots  .... It works for me.

Cheers SacrificialNewt 👍

Edited by Waltish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, hulkster said:

You need to talk to scruffy about that memory of yours...  😞

My wife’s a child psychologist by degree. She says I’m a lifelong project.

She married me either for my outstanding Slav Squat or out of professional curiosity.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

First pc when I joined atomic was:

Athlon Xp 1800+, 512mb ram, GeForce ti4200.

Later C2D w/ 512mb GeForce 8800Gt 2x 17"CRT

Some others along the way.

Now:

I5 6600k @ 4.5ghz, watercooled. 16gb ddr4. 3x 250gb ssds, 1 nvme, 2 sata. 2tb hdd

Gtx1070

2x 24" 1080p 165hz

All the rgb bits.

Edited by fr3nzy
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

I had spent five years in a relationship with a guy who was in some ways my soul mate, and in others a giant turd, and in any case a freakin genius coder who within two years of leaving high school was coding 20 hours a week for six figures. I still have no idea why I put up with some of the shit I put up with - I guess growing up nerdy meant I was always convinced that if I broke up with this guy, I'd never have a boyfriend again, because I was ugly and difficult to put up with (yes I really believed this). Anyway, after five years together we owned one computer between us and I only got screen time when he was out at work - which wasn't that often. And when we broke up the first thing he did was delete my user account, all my files, and my email address. No warning, no saving stuff, just bam - gone. Everything down to and including save game files for my Diablo II character I'd been playing for the whole five years. I left with my piano and $200 - half of which I spent buying myself the Diablo Battle Chest, even though I had nowhere to install it.

When I started dating AccessDenied he was living with his parents, and had his desk and PC in his bedroom. This bedroom was roughly the size of the entire apartment I'd lived in with the Ex, there was plenty of space for a queen bed and a big old desk. His PC was The Fluffy Cow. No idea what was inside it, but if you happen to have a copy of Atomic #4 it's all listed. The outside of Fluffy Cow was covered in cow print fur, and the old dining chair AD used at his desk was upholstered to match (and had the remains of a sub-woofer-in-your-seat experiment still attached underneath but that's quite beside the point). Fluffy Cow was a few years old by then, but still a damned impressive set up.

One day, about three weeks after I started dating him, I was sitting at the desk doing - whatever I was doing, probably playing Diablo II. AccessDenied was reading his Atomic mag on the bed when he suddenly announced, "This isn't going to work."

I was stunned, and I was still a little shellshocked I guess.

"I just can't keep sharing a computer with you."

I know I started to babble, to apologise and say that I wouldn't use the computer any more, I didn't need to, it was okay...

"I found this really cool case online. It's piano finish black. I think I'll get a dark wood desk to match, this white one sort of goes with Fluffy Cow." AD proceeded to flip through recent Atomic issues pointing out which bits of hardware he would get. 

Eventually I managed to ask him what was going on.

"Oh! I'm buying a second computer! You can have Fluffy Cow. It's a bit old, but it's still good, and I think if we put a new hard drive in it should keep going for a few more years. Is that okay?"

That wasn't when I joined Atomic, but it was when I decided to marry AccessDenied, and it's also why my PC was an Atomican long before I was. 

• Like 3
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 7

6 hours ago, fr3nzy said:

First pc when I joined atomic was:

Athlon Xp 1800+, 512mb ram, GeForce ti4200.

Later C2D w/ 512mb GeForce 8800Gt 2x 17"CRT

Some others along the way.

Now:

I5 6600k @ 4.5ghz, watercooled. 16gb ddr4. 3x 250gb ssds, 1 nvme, 2 sata. 2tb hdd

Gtx1070

2x 24" 1080p 165hz

All the rgb bits.

I think I started with an athlon 600 but I moved to the same 1800 512mb and ti4200 soon after

I can't actually remember my first PC on Atomic.  It may've been the ye olde Cyrix 6x86 p200+ (haha, tell them they're dreaming) with it's jankyasfuck S3 ViRGE, but either just after - or more likely, just before - Atomic debuted, I think I'd just put together my old Athlon 500 beige monster.  Spent big on an original GeForce 256, but I couldn't remember how much RAM it had going on.

It's still tucked away in a box in some house, somewhere. Maybe even, too, the old mid-90s era 14" fishbowl I somehow got running 1024x765 for me to squint at.

At some point I got tired of flash ads making things too slow, and moved to a 2600+ xp.  When the same thing happened all over again, went back to Intel (first time since the 486) for a C2D E6400.  Held onto that until the first i5, a 750.  That lasted until low-fps and multitasking meant an i5-4790k, and that gave up the ghost earlier this year, taking me full circle back to AMD with this 3700x.

I remember when 500MHz seemed barely adequate to properly emulate games that ran on my old 7MHz Amiga just fine. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I can't remember when I actually started posting - I thought it was 2003 when I moved from Cooma to Melbourne, but I got an old mate from the old Cooma days who tells me I've been here since before then *shrug*

What I do know is, that after moving almost 700km from a medium town to a big city, this place help me feel *connected*

I know I was a pain in the fucking arse - Toeing the line of spam. I think my post count was one of the most quickly accumulated in all time (If not *the* quickest). I posted a lot of shit - Absolute shit - And I got away with it with weak bullshit about "It's not spam - It relates to the thread!!"

Yet still, I made some awesome friends here. I remember Osinaka and Furcat, who also seemed to run peoples hairs the wrong way. Met up with Cisco, who I'm still friends with who I don't talk to enough. mm80x, who was my spam buddy - We'd often spend nights sending each other spam messages trying to crash the forums (I think it worked once or twice)

I remember The_Tick, who, iirc, completely changed my view of vegans. Ok sure, he was the only cool one I met, but it did open my mind to be more considerate

And Fredzfrod - Who says he owes me beers, but he wont drink them himself no matter what I say

I just... yeah. There are so many people here who tolerated my bullshit - I wish I could name you all (But it was everyone). I wish I could thank you all. From my talk of asking who shaves their nuts, or discussions of me treating my ADHD with marijuana

Even The_Fuzz_damn_you (Did I get that right?) I butted heads with him a few times, but I do appreciate the English lessens he taught me (Oh yeah, he was right - took a few posts before I'd realise it though)

Yeah, I can't think of a single cunt here, who posted over the years, that I didn't learn some kind of lesson. Thank you everyone for that

EDIT: Cheese is the word!!!!

Edited by Khirareq
  • Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 6

6 hours ago, Khirareq said:

And Fredzfrod

Damnit! ha ha ha
And i've allready had 1 beer today.. how many more do I need to drink?!

I feel I *really* should clarify why i've had a beer before 7am.. but yeah its allowed cos i'm an adult!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A friend loaned me a few of his at0mic mags back in mid 2001. I knew virtually nothing about the innards of computers and therefore cannot remember anything technical about my PC back then - apart from the fact that I had the latest Philips 15" LCD monitor, which everyone was envious of. By late '01 I was a member of the forum here (after lurking for many months), learning furiously and constantly modding & upgrading.

Now, not so much. I've been totally left behind and my previous PC lasted untouched for about seven years, which is not very at0mican!

My current setup was partially forced on me by having to finally go to Windows 10. It was also spec'd to handle 4K, but can't because (apparently) something in Intel's architecture of their i7 9700 reads as a security loophole and 4K blu-rays won't play as a result. The amount of post-build research it took to discover that insignificant little detail would never have been necessary 10 - 15 years ago when the forum was in its stride... Apart from the community aspect, the vast amounts of constantly accumulating collective knowledge this place had was incredible.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Wow Frog, you have a great memory ... I can’t remember what I did yesterday.  But I do recall discovering Atomic at the second issue, looked up the website and never looked back. I always found tech magazines too dry for my liking, or had too much emphasis on gaming ... and not even the sort of games I liked. But Atomic was both informative and entertaining.  

Other tech magazines always made new builds and upgrades appear simple .... Atomic revealed it was not always that easy, and even the experts had similar issues to what I was wrestling with.  Other magazines did a few software run stats on performance of builds and components .... Atomic did a lot of ‘tooling around inside’, stripped it down to its underwear and thrashed the heck out of it...... enter extreme cooling. Even to this day, there’s no other publication like it.

oh, can’t remember what box I had at the time. My first spark of computing interest started when I inherited 286 components and it basically got bigger than Ben Hur from there.... swap meets every weekend, etc. So yeah, too long ago 🙂 

Edited by NightOwl
  • Like 3

Athlon XP 1800+ Pally core
256mb ddr 266 ram
Geforce 4 MX440
generic case
cheap kb/mouse at the time.
15 inch crt screen i found on the side of the road.

• Like 2