Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Khirareq

"I said settle down!"

Ok yeah - Its not as bad as I make it sound :P

Gas from an army training drill was to blame for a health scare at two schools that hospitalised three children and one adult.

About 70 students and teachers at a primary and high school at Mitchelton, in Brisbane's north, were treated for itchy eyes and irritated throats when a suspicious odour was reported in the area about 10am (AEST) on Thursday.

Queensland Fire and Rescue Service officers tested the school's air quality, but found no cause for the complaints.

The Australian Defence Force later admitted the likely cause was a tear gas training drill at the nearby Gallipoli Barracks.

A spokesman apologised on behalf of the army.

"I want to offer a heartfelt apology to the mums and dads and to the boys and girls and to all citizens, police and the health professionals who we have inconvenienced today," he said.

"The effects of tear gas are short-term."

Three students were taken to Royal Children's Hospital and one teacher was taken to Royal Brisbane Hospital for further treatment.

Article Link

The Army says has suspended the use of tear gas in Brisbane operations, after admitting the substance was the likely cause of a health-related incident at two schools in the city's north-west today.

Sixty-seven children and staff at the Mitchelton High and Primary Schools were treated for eye and throat problems after a vapour cloud was reported just before 10:30am.

Brigadier Stephen Day says a training exercise involving tear gas was happening at the nearby Gallipoli barracks at Enoggera at the time.

"I want to offer a heartfelt apology to the mums and dads, to the boys and girls, to all citizens, to the police, to health professionals who we have inconvenienced today," he said.

"I want to say to you that the effects of tear gas are short term."

Four ambulances attended the schools, and three students and a teacher were taken to hospital from the high school.

Brigadier Day says there will be a full investigation into the incident.

"It's come as a surprise, as I said we've been doing this training for many years and it's the first time we've had something like this occur," he said.

"We're going to look at it very thoroughly and once it's clear what the causes are, I think I owe it to the community to let them know what the results of that findings are and let them know of our long-term intentions with tear gas here."

Tear gas can cause blurred vision and tears, difficulty breathing, nausea and skin irritation.

Symptoms generally disappear quickly, but health websites warn that exposure of more than an hour in a confined space can lead to blindness.

People are warned to move to an area of fresh air if they think they have been exposed.

Article Link

Think I know a few teachers which could make use of tear gas on a regular basis

Tear gas, my arse!

That was an airborne viral pathogen that was secretly developed to create super-soldiers and accidentally released on unsuspecting civilians.

Those students and teachers will be dead in a matter of days and come back as flesh-eating mutants!

We HAVE to kill them all right now! Then nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure,

ah, my old high school!

quite a few army families there, I bet there will be backlash.

Tear gas, my arse!

That was an airborne viral pathogen that was secretly developed to create super-soldiers and accidentally released on unsuspecting civilians.

Those students and teachers will be dead in a matter of days and come back as flesh-eating mutants!

We HAVE to kill them all right now! Then nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure,

fire ze missiles!

Tear gas, my arse!

fire ze missiles!

WTFMATE!

Tear gas, my arse!

The ADF has FEV? o_0

Tear gas, my arse!

The ADF has FEV? o_0

I know the Chinese are our trading partners now but damn it, we know they're working on super-viruses and we need to make something to counter that!

oh ffs.

its a waft of CS gas. boo hoo harden the fuck up. go stand in the breeze for a few minutes. you could probably barely smell it at the school.

seriously, if you complain and enoggera barracks stops allowing us to use CS gas on base, none of us will get our damn qual. there are already enough roadblocks in the way of getting reserve quals already, we arnt allowed to go to SME anymore, so all training must be done on base. if you take that away from us, choccos will never get trained.

First they take our training ground, then they take our gear, next the whole fucking barracks will be off limits.

in all honesty, when the barracks were founded, it wasn't completely surrounded by suburbia.

on the maps you can see places like "100m rifle range, disused", "grenade range, disused" and even "APC firing range, disused"

there used to be a shitton of ordinance fired on that hill, a lot live. now they might want to stop us using CS gas? the place we setup the gas tent is at least 2kms from the boundary fence. what the shit?

oh ffs.

its a waft of CS gas. boo hoo harden the fuck up. go stand in the breeze for a few minutes. you could probably barely smell it at the school.

seriously, if you complain and enoggera barracks stops allowing us to use CS gas on base, none of us will get our damn qual. there are already enough roadblocks in the way of getting reserve quals already, we arnt allowed to go to SME anymore, so all training must be done on base. if you take that away from us, choccos will never get trained.

First they take our training ground, then they take our gear, next the whole fucking barracks will be off limits.

what he said

back when I used to go to high school there, you could often hear artillery and mortar fire, and they'd do helicopter exercises too.

Edited by smadge1

Ahh. Happy memories.

I made tear gas in the school lab once. I think in grade 11. Got my science teachers permission and gave him the nod (he promptly legged it) before I set it off.

I stayed in to enjoy the fun. Bloody P.C. mob wouldn't let you get away with it these days.

In the six weeks I was working on the new barrack blocks at Enoggera I heard a LAV fire once. All they ever did was play sport, or when someone official came through they'd set-up an arty position outside the gym and roll out some Bushmasters. Must have been one hell of a breeze to blow it over to Mitchelton.

oh ffs.

what he said

and again

Enoggera Barracks was my old stomping ground!

Man I use to love running up that hill O_o

In the six weeks I was working on the new barrack blocks at Enoggera I heard a LAV fire once. All they ever did was play sport, or when someone official came through they'd set-up an arty position outside the gym and roll out some Bushmasters. Must have been one hell of a breeze to blow it over to Mitchelton.

Would of been blank,

No where for a Lav to fire at Enoggera.

When I was there they could still fire 9m live and that was it, everything else had to go to greenbank or elsewhere.

Hmmm . . .it's hard to come to a compromise.

Can they go out to the bush to do training?

What do you thinks on Mt Enoggera? twenty grid squares (sq km) of crown bushland. the nearest other training ground is Greenbank... and thats surrounded by suburbs too.

LAV's cant live fire at enoggera cause the civvies built up around it, closest range is Wide bay. cant even live fire steyrs at the 100m range iirc.