Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Cummings

Subdomains and DNS?

So, I have a host with one company, and a domain with another. Call it domain.com

The host is set up to allow domain.com to point to the home directory (using cpanel), and all my pages work fine. I achieved this by setting the domain.com DNS to point to the webhost IP

Now I want to add a subdomain. Call it subdomain.domain.com

I again set this up on the host in cpanel. It points to its own folder, separate to the main site. The problem is http://subdomain.domain.com never gets to the subdomain folder on the host. At first it pointed to the registrars info page, so I changed the * field to point to the IP along with www and @, but now subdomain.domain.com points to the IP, which loads the cpanel setup complete page, and not the main website or the subdomain folder.

Do I have to set something in the registrars DNS to allow the subdomain to point to the correct folder of my host, or is the issue with my host receiving the subdomain request and not passing it properly to the folder?

In the past I have only ever dealt with domain and host on the same company, but now its different I think I have to do a lot more manually.

is the issue with my host receiving the subdomain request and not passing it properly to the folder?

Make sure that cPanel has been setup for the subdomain. You can't just make a DNS record and a matching folder on the webserver. Generally you click on Subdomains and then select a folder or create a new folder for the webpages. This is what you must do.

Also, try pinging the subdomain. If it resolves and responds with the IP of the shared host, then you've done it correctly; it sounds like you have this part down pat though.

Yeah, I setup the subdomain correctly in cpanel, with it pointing to the folder.

The problem was that the registrar used its own name server to point to my host. All requests pointed to the IP of the hosts nameserver, which worked for the main site but not the subdomains.

I fixed the problem by telling the registrar to use the hosts nameserver, so that it does all the addressing as setup by cpanel.

I can now access the subdomain properly. Closed.