s1a

Choosing LCD Monitor

I have ask this on the old forum, now i can't find it so i have to ask again.

i'm in the market for 22" lcd monitor.

can anyone suggest any good brand and model?

I have ask this on the old forum, now i can't find it so i have to ask again.

i'm in the market for 22" lcd monitor.

can anyone suggest any good brand and model?

go 24" if you can. take your pick samsung, acer, asus, or dell.. dont go for the cheap samsung, they arent all that great, acer is good value for money, asus is well asus, is ok. am using acer 24" here, and I love it

Im a fan of the samsungs, the Samsung 22 2253BW (~$285) would be an ideal choice.

For non-multimedia applications, dual 22" is better than single larger screens for the same money IMO. But if your budget can't allow duals, get the largest good quality monitor you can get.

I've just picked up an ASUS VW222U.

Will post again after i've had a bit of a play with it, but so far....nice.

thx guys

i'm looking for 22" for dual in the future, one for now, hopefully soon ;)

Got the Asus VW222U also,

good monitor though suffers from backlight bleeding like many 22" monitors

Where is yours bleeding? If anything, i've only noticed a slight change in tone on the left top/bottom corners when the black bootup screen appears, but other than that, nothing.

Also, for my curiosity, what settings are you using? Here are mine....

Splendid mode: Standard

Colour Temp: Cool

Brightness: 85

Contrast: 85

I thought the "normal" Colour Temp was too reddish. How about you?

I also used the Nvidia optimisation wizard , but ignored the brightness test, as decreasing the brightness to zero didn't blacken the 2 bars that were supposed to turn black..

I just bought a 22" for the kids. Why the 22 and not the 24?

Price.

22 is the sweet spot at the moment. I went for the 2253 LW Samsung. The only complaint I have is the default settings are WAY too bright. I went through the calibration and now it's fine.

Yeah, the defaults were pretty eye-straining for me to, Mac Dude. I've now got both brightness & contrast on 80. Might leave them there & save a few years of life for the eyes. 8]

2253LW was the other monitor I was looking at - these were the two being pumped up on whirlpool. Even though the Sammy had the better warranty, I thought it was a more "sure-thing" with the ASUS, as the Sammys can have 1 of 3 different panels.

I think for the money we're paying for 22" LCDs though, we can't really complain with what we've got. 8]

I went for the 22" over 24" since I won't be using the thing for movies & hence don't need the true-hd res. Plus the graphics card wouldn't be able to handle the higher res for games. & deskspace, or lack of it, wouldn't fit the 24". But i'm loving the extra desktop space (talking physical desktop here) that removing the CRT has given me. Windows desktop isn't too shabby either...

http://www.users.on.net/~ralfi/IMG_0880_1.JPG

http://www.users.on.net/~ralfi/IMG_0883_1.JPG

I purchased an Asus VW222U a while back for my soon to be brother-in-law.

It had a little light bleeding on the edges and my major gripe was the default color settings- needed some serious tweaking. But for $330 (at the time), it was a small price to pay for an awesome LCD.

In fact, I'm off to purchase one now for $269, cannot complain much at all for this price :)

Yeah, that's what I paid, deano+. Let us know of the default settings & if they match up with my impressions above.

I think i've been lucky with light bleed - can't notice anything when my black screen saver kicks in...

Dude you can buya dell 24inch....they got a sale on atm, which ends on monday 15 sept.

can be bought for 300-350 with code discount + (mention ur nrma/racv member get 10% discount)

Got the Asus VW222U also,

good monitor though suffers from backlight bleeding like many 22" monitors

Where is yours bleeding? If anything, i've only noticed a slight change in tone on the left top/bottom corners when the black bootup screen appears, but other than that, nothing.

Also, for my curiosity, what settings are you using? Here are mine....

Splendid mode: Standard

Colour Temp: Cool

Brightness: 85

Contrast: 85

I thought the "normal" Colour Temp was too reddish. How about you?

I also used the Nvidia optimisation wizard , but ignored the brightness test, as decreasing the brightness to zero didn't blacken the 2 bars that were supposed to turn black..

Top and bottom, only noticable on black screens.

Colour modes are as follows:

Brightness: 100

Contrast: 100

Sharpness: 53

Colour Temp: Normal

Spelndid Mode: Standard

Top and bottom, only noticable on black screens.

Colour modes are as follows:

Brightness: 100

Contrast: 100

Sharpness: 53

Colour Temp: Normal

Spelndid Mode: Standard

Ouch, like I mentioned - if I kept those default settings on my monitor, i'd need an eye transplant by now. Goes to show how different like-models are from each other.

I've got a little bleed on the top and bottom as usual, but its not bad at all.

Settings are as follows;

Brightness: 80

Contrast: 80

Sharpness: 69

Saturation: 57

Skin Tone: Natural

ASCR: OFF

I didn't use the "Splendid" defaults at all and changed all of the settings through the panel itself, avoiding driver based changes.

I've just finished playing a round of Supreme Commander in max settings at 1680x1050 (native), I didn't notice any color distortion at all while in-game, and that's what counts hehe.

Considering its predecessor is a Dell 17" CRT, this is one awesome LCD :)

do anyone know how to differentiate the samsung panels, like model or code, so I know which to buy, for the good panel.

I'm also in the market for a 22" LCD

I'm currently looking at either the LG 2252TQ-PF or the Samsung 2233BW.

Are either of these any good, and if not, what would you recommend?

I'm also in the market for a 22" LCD

I'm currently looking at either the LG 2252TQ-PF or the Samsung 2233BW.

Are either of these any good, and if not, what would you recommend?

I did a bit of research before I ended up going with an ASUS VW222U a couple of weeks ago....it's an older monitor than the Samsungs, without the zero-pixel warranty, but the 3 year warranty is still there, along with a quality panel that's brilliant for games - I don't use it for movies, so can't comment on it's performance there, but the blacks seem pretty convincing for an LCD, & there's next to no colour bleed, which you'll almost certainly get with most panels.

You do need to tweak the colours, as the out-of-box settings seemed washed out, but once you get familiar with the settings, it looks very nice. I love the non-reflective screen as well.

Have a look on Whirlpool for info on just about all monitors you should be looking at.

The Samsungs are meant to be up there, but I didn't go for them since their latest model (2253LW) is known to suffer from more colour bleed, is slightly smaller in size to the ASUS, & can have 1 of 3 panels (Samsung, Chimei, or *can't remember the third*, which you can't know until you take the thing home & remove the rear panel).

So the ASUS seemed a safer bet to me, plus, as a bonus, it's cheaper.