Achillesjg

Dual Video Card Setup

I'm thinking of tweaking my system a little bit, I'll be getting my second 27" monitor shortly.

Up until recently I've been running the first 27 next to a 22", and I have decided it's time to change my Mobo for one with two PCI express slots. I was wondering if I place a mid range card into each slot, will I be able to use them to output to one monitor each? I have no need for SLI, but was concerned with dropping of frames in the various games I play when one video card is running two monitors.

Would the Asus P5Q-E motherboard suit my needs (just as an example)? Here's the link to the Asus website http://au.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&...amp;modelmenu=1

I notice that the site claims that it's a Xfire compatible mobo, but would it work as listed above if I decide to use a pair of Nvidia Cards in there? If it won't work with Nvidia cards, can anyone suggest a mobo that will?

there are some video card have dual vga output, but if you need bigger memory, you can always use 2 vga card.

looks like that asus mobo can support 2 vga card, i'm not familiar with this one.

but asus mobo for republic gamer definetely support dual vga, just remember you have sufficient psu

there are some video card have dual vga output, but if you need bigger memory, you can always use 2 vga card.

looks like that asus mobo can support 2 vga card, i'm not familiar with this one.

but asus mobo for republic gamer definetely support dual vga, just remember you have sufficient psu

Yeah, I'm running a Quad Core q6600, with 4gb of RAM, so no worries there.

the P5Q series are great boards, BUT, they only have the one full 16x PCI-E slot.....

some of the new X58 based mobos support both Xfire, and SLI, but expect to pay $500 or more for a board that will fully utlilise 2x cards of either brand.

Is there a reason you want to go for a second card instead of just replacing it with a card that has 2 outputs? With a card like that you can save a lot on power, have less heat and get the same output.

If you run the two cards in SLI then you won't be able to run two monitors. Your frame rate will most likely drop a little when actually using a second monitor, however 1) Chances are that the second monitor will switch off when running a game, and 2) if it doesn't performance will not drop enough to warrant a worry.

If you are thinking of getting 2 cards, then you'll most likely have to upgrade your PSu as well, which would be better spent on a faster single card with 2 outputs.

Hi, I've got dual video cards (8600GT and 8800GTS) not running in SLI, for the sole purpose of multiple monitor support. As far as nVidia based cards are concerned, all should play nicely as long as both cards are from the same series. EG 8xxx or 9xxx.

the P5Q series are great boards, BUT, they only have the one full 16x PCI-E slot.....

some of the new X58 based mobos support both Xfire, and SLI, but expect to pay $500 or more for a board that will fully utlilise 2x cards of either brand.

Providing the board supports SLI you should be right. You don't even need the same speed PCIe slots, though of course 2 x 16x is better than 16x + 2x. See my specs for what I'm running. It's been working great of 12 months now. Edited by kikz

I'm using a Gigabyte DS3P with a X800pro and a cheap X550 and it works fine with 3 montiors (two off the X800 and one off the X550). You just have to make sure the two cards are from the same company ie two ATI or two Nvidia to reduce possible issues with drivers.

To Answer Fat Bodybuilder, I've already got an Nvidia 8800gt with two connections, one running to a 27", the other to a 22". Heat isn't a problem, as I have a case with excellent airflow, and I'm not going to overclock at all. As for Power Supply, I'm already set. Also, I have no need for SLI, I just want two cards to operate a monitor each, and not have any significant drop in performance.

So, to clarify, as I'm going for Nvidia cards, does the board have to be "SLI ready" to do what I want to do?

The ASUS board I quoted above appears to only support Xfire, does that mean it won't work with 2 Nvidia cards?